back to article Amazon randomly censoring incest books

Confusion over the censorship policy at Amazon continues to mount, with news this week that the company now appears to be removing incest-themed material from its Kindle. Evidence that not all was well in the world of Amazon first surfaced in a discussion thread on Amazon’s own Kindle Community forum. Author Jess C Scott asked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Incest in the bible

...is an act usually performed by bad people. The Moabites and Ammonites are enemy nations. It's propaganda.

One does have to wonder about how Adam and Eve's grandchildren came to exist, though. Indeed Eve was created out of Adam's body, making him the first pregnant man, with his future wife, and also that happened only after he had tried all the animals for companionship. It really is in the book, all of it.

1. Dante
    WTF?

The goddamn bible

includes incest get to removing that Amazon go on... be consistant I dare you.

1. P. Lee
      Troll

re: The goddamn bible

(leaving aside the confusion of asking a deity to destroy his own book...)

Of course Amazon's policy appears confused, but it isn't really. Amazon operates on a materialistic basis. Their policy is to make money. Mouthy people hurt profits (pro or anti-incest), not selling stuff hurts profits, so they will try to avoid both, which leads to policy implementation alterations depending on who is shouting loudly at the time.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Based on the assumption that there is no God, then Amazon's actions are just part of the randomness of the universe. There is no right or wrong except what we make for ourselves and Amazon has simply done that. You can also chalk up any complaints about Amazon to more randomness, which the high-priests of Science will one day be able to trace the way back to the big bang.

Yay for Materialism!

(and I'm still not sure of most people here are in favour of having sex with close relatives...)

2. Rippy
    Big Brother

Was it Animal Farm or 1984?

that Amazon first retracted from the Kindle?

I thought that after that incident all the Reg crowd quickly figured out that this might not be a very good analog of a physical book.

G.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is different, I think

They really did delete "1984" from customers' devices, but in this case they only deleted the book from their own archives, meaning that customers who had bought it couldn't download it again, but they still had the book, provided they hadn't deleted it themselves.

Apparently you can do your own back-up of purchased content on the Kindle. So presumably some of the people who had "1984" deleted were able to restore it from back-up. Having received a refund from Amazon.

Not totally sure about all of this. I'm just going by what I've heard.

(You can get "1984" for free from servers in Australia, where it's out of copyright. Hope I'm not breaking any law by mentioning this.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See they're still stocking Dogtooth.

Incest, violence, sex with minors and a political subtext too. Great viewing. Bound to be banned.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

knee jerk nonsense

Ive just read 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' which I bought via amazon kindle only a few days ago. That contains themes of peadophillia, rape, incest and sexually motivated murder. I actually think its quite good so have bought the next two in the trilogy. I wonder when it will be banned?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like