back to article Twitter 'martyr' takes airport joke case to High Court

A man who was convicted of posting a tasteless joke on Twitter about blowing up a UK airport plans to take his case to Blighty's High Court. Human rights lawyer Ben Emmerson will head up the legal fight for Paul Chambers, according to the Associated Press. Chambers, 27, of was arrested in January for posting a message on his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Lottie

Oh No!

The person opposite me at work said that if the person who'd just emailed her changes his mind again, she'd kill him!

Better get on to the police ASAP!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

going to the courts go to a sensible response? PAH!

3. Dave 15

As normal

The law is an ass.

I'm sitting here with a fine for 500 for being out of the country 2 years without checking the dear DVLA managed to get the paperwork sent them.

The fine was levied without my being aware or invited to court to defend myself

The court then said I could make a statutory declaration and asked for my name and address... I gave them that in an email but apparently that wasn't good enough I should have realised I needed to phone them, and having not phoned them the fine will stand.

The bailiffs managed to find my address in 2 hours of the court deciding I hadn't paid the fine, but neither the court nor DVLA found it - despite it being easy to find.

Now I have to wonder whether my MP can do something before the bailiffs take my only means of getting to work... if they take it I can't work, if I can't work I can't pay a good deal more in taxes, and I will be claiming benefits.

Of course, had the stupid Labour government not been so stupid and had realised that a stupid piece of paper saying you aren't using your car was worthless, stupid and likely to just trip up normally law abiding people who just happened to be out of the country for a long time with their car parked on private property then the whole thing wouldn't have happened.

But to quote the 'lady' (hic) from the court ---- 'you didn't phone us, so there is nothing more that I will do, so you can just pay the fine'

Strangely enough the VERY SAME court levied a fine of 60 for a guy caught speeding for the 4th time by the SAME camera on the SAME residential road by the SAME school in Cambridge - something that can kill - where as not having a piece of paper is clearly very much more serious.

I am already looking abroad for more work, this time I won't ever return. You are welcome to the unpleasant, stupid, authoritarian, spy ridden, obnoxious shit hole we call Britain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

That's nothing!

Last year I got a £100 fine for sending the Inland Revenue my tax return and then leaving the country for a few months, only to return the following March to find a reminder saying that I hadn't sent my return and also a later dated notice about the fine.

It's so unfair; the napkin I'd used had all the right details and everything!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Willkommen in Brittistan

Be sure to pick a safe place to go. Safer than this one, with all of the usual stuff like abundant energy, food, military protection. Oh, and NEVER vote Liebour if you live in Oz/NZ.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To those saying they 'wouldn't dream of saying something like that'...

Bollocks! I know I would in front of anyone if annoyed enough.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough.

While the comment was undoubtedly stupid, this is the thin end of a massive wedge. If a tweet can be judged to be menacing even when no menace was intended, then it doesn't bode well.

For example, a friend tweeted this today:

Damn! My flight is delayed! I've got five hours to kill at the airport.

Should this man be arrested for publicly posting his intention to start a 5 hour killing spree?

6. Chris007
    Coat

As we say in Yorkshire

"A blind man in a blizzard" could see it was a joke.

7. Harry Tuttle
    WTF?

#Jonas

Ahhhh! You just said:-

'"You've got a week and a bit to get your shit together otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!" '

You must be a terrorist!

[Oh sh*t, I just said it too ... ]

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.