Feeds

back to article iOS 4.2: An 'ace' for iPad, a 'meh' for iPhone

Monday was iOS update day for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod. "iOS 4.2 makes the iPad a completely new product," crowed Apple CEO Steve Jobs in a prepared statement announcing the upgrade — which wasn't actually released until 10am, Pacific Standard Time, despite the early-morning reports of the release. We installed it on both our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

apple store?

there is no apple store in ireland. despite apples hq in europe been in ireland. so no genius bar. :-)

Apple Genius

"they're always really helpful and it costs nothing."

I'll second that. My boyfriend had an iPhone on contract from Vodafone (in the UK) and it was playing up, the screen kept stopping responding to touches, and requiring it to be locked and unlocked again.

We were on holiday in Canada a few months back and popped in to an Apple Store. They got the phone on a diagnostic tool and identified app crashes and while it didn't fix the fault it's not been freezing as much.

This didn't cost a penny - for a phone that wasn't bought through them and wasn't even bought in the same country!

(And yes I know the phone would have come from Apple anyway, but there are plenty of companies who sell products through resellers but only support these sales through the resellers.)

Contacts

Can't help with the rest, but to see which number texted you, scroll to the top of the text conversation and tap the Contact Info button: the relevant number will be highlighted in blue.

For calls, go to the call history, tap the blue arrow button and it will show the number highlighted in blue, or red if it was a missed call.

FAIL

Not particularly helpful

"Take it into the Genius Bar at an Apple Store - they're always really helpful and it costs nothing."

Slighty unrelated. Battery on girlfriend's MacBook wasn't playing ball. Genius ran a test, implied that battery had gone into "deep sleep mode" (or something) as it hadn't been switched on for 5 days and was therefore toast. The solution would be to fork out £100 for a new battery, despite the fact that the one that had just commited suicide was previously fine with less that 350 cycles in a 2 year period.

WTF?

@Moylan re iCAL Sunday issue...

perhaps your not using an iPhone or a MAC at all? Is there a START button in the bottom left hand corner? I ask as on my MAC and my iPhone the first day of the week is Monday!!

Silver badge
Jobs Horns

Not very genius Geniusssssess, are they?

It's quite obvious that the Unicorn Farts that power the iThing have run out.

Thumb Up

Nice apps you have there!

I recognise some of those apps from the 10 Smartest + 10 Stupidest article! Haha

Wow, do you want to add "opinion" to the top of this article?

What looks like it's supposed to be a review laden to the gills with sniping. Ask someone fairly neutral to write these things in future please?

Are you new here?

The Register rarely gives Apple credit for anything. All of their Apple coverage is laden with spite and vitriol. Its little wonder that they don't get invited to the parties anymore.

Jobs Horns

sheep cultard

Listen you iTard sheep cultard, if you want to just suck up fawning praise for everything nasty grandad does, right or wrong, then macrumours or some other temple of isycophancy is where you need to be, not here where the intelligent people can have criticism, analysis and dissent against nasty grandad's BS

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: sheep cultard

Boys, BOYS, simmer down or no ginger ale for you.

You're both new here

All the Register's reviews of everything are laden with spite and mockery. Apple no more or less than anyone. And if you're looking for a review that isn't someone else's opinion, you'll need to write your own. What part of "review" did you not understand?

Annoying network popup still there

The damn annoying "network disconnected" popup is still there. Designed by Microsoft, this popup is inevitable when your train journey includes three long tunnels.

Breaks iTunes

Upgraded both iPad and iPhon overnight - 650Mb download for the iPhone, 550Mb for the iPad. Now standing on a commuter train for an hour with no music as both devices are stuck "cancelling sync". Power cycling has no effect.

The fix apparently is to re-synch both. Not bloody possible whilst standing so no music for me:-(

Somewhat pissed off with Apple over this.

At least multi-tasking works at last.

Damn fail icon won't work on the iPad

Jobs Horns

Boo, Hiss bring back my orientation lock

Such an idiotic change to turn the very useful orientation lock into a fairly pointless mute switch and of course with typical apple arrogance people aren't even allowed to have the more useful functionality as a user option because after all one switch is so much worse than the tap, tap, slide and tap that it now is.

Jobs Horns

Why the downvote?

Who on earth would downvote that comment? Does any sane person think it's reasonable that Apple have taken away functionality provided with the iPad at time of purchase (ie the orientation lock) to arbitrarily replace it with something else (a mute switch) on the basis that they're so fucking clever that they MUST know better than we do about what we want.

Yes, I'm sure plenty of people prefer it as a mute button. And I'm all for choice. But to change it to a mute button without giving those of us who like it the way it is the ability to keep it working the way we are used to is just absolute typical Apple arrogance.

At least we do still have the choice about whether to upgrade or not. I know it's a silly thing, but I'm not upgrading my iPad yet. I'll wait and see if someone does a jailbreak app to return the orientation lock button, and I'll upgrade then.

Sour Grapes?

How come El Reg feels the need to take a dig at apple every time they can, that the latest and greatest software updates aren't available on hardware that's two releases out of date?

Apple are a damn sight better at providing software updates than any of their competition, I raise you Nokia and Sony Ericsson for a start. Even your golden child of Android is beholden on the whims of some consumer electronics companies for any kind of update once shipped.

How about an entire article devoted to hot LG and Sony Ericsson still think it's fair game to sell you a *new* phone with Android 1.6 on it?

Unhappy

Still missing

All I wanted for Xmas was:

1) customisable alert tones (for messaging and email) - the number of threads out there on this subject shows I'm by no means alone, so come on Apple - listen to your users !!!!

2) perhaps this one is just me, but a "kill all" button for the taskbar would be nice. It's a bind killing them all one by one. (How about shake to kill all ?).

Other than that the only useful feature for me on my 3GS is the Safari search (which is most welcome)...

Silver badge
FAIL

If you're after a Kill All then you're not using it correctly

Anything in the task list is suspended and possibly even terminated. iOS looks after resources for you. When you switch to another task an app must save it's state. It then gets no more CPU resources (excepting in limited circumstances if the app has registered background tasks) and if resources are running low it may be terminated by the system at any time.

Anonymous Coward

Chaos and disorder coming?!?

Doesn't all these new complex features such as folders and printing fly in the face of the simplicity that the iphone is famous for?

I fear for iPhone/Pad users who are at increase risk of having to think and make decsions that they are so used to the iOS device doing for them. This surely risks chaos, spontaneous combustion and even the downfall of Jobs zombinet.

FAIL

This will not help iPad ad iPhone.

Do you know why? Because you have to use the most shitty application to manage it: iTunes.

Repeating Alarms Fixed?

The one thing I really need my iphone to do, is to wake me up in the morning on time. And I'm talking about monday to friday rather than every day. And also not having to set an alarm each night (I know I'm being demanding here, but hey!)

Has 4.2 on the iphone fixed this particular feature?

Re: Repeating Alarms Fixed?

As far as I was aware this stopped being an issue if you reset the alarms - they only get upset at the actual point of DST change. They've got plenty of time to fix it before the next one (but then, they knew about it from New Zealand with plenty of time before it hit Europe or the US).

@nickrw

That wasn't my experience. It seemed that one-off alarms are fine, as are alarms set to repeat every day. But alarms set to repeat on certain days (such as mon-fri) were still out by an hour.

Having said that, I could be wrong. I gave up trying and have rediscovered my alarm clock.

Go

Re: Repeating Alarms Fixed?

Yes

And the alleged fix didn't work for me, however the update to 4.2.1 did fix it, I was very suprised this morning, as I had become used to turning it off when I walked into the office.

Jobs Horns

The reporter asks to alter the size or increase the number of icons.

Please refer to the non-changeable beachball icon that has been non-changeable for years on all macs - still no sign i might be grown up enough to choose my wait animation. Maybe i could have one of the money dropping into apple's coffers... it could be real time and everything.

Steve McAdam

I've tried updating my iPad twice now today... right at the end of the 35 min. download it says "there was a problem downloading the software... The network connection timed out"

Is it just me?

Nope, me too

I've had 3 lost connection error messages, reconnect & it starts from the beginning :-(

Finally finished the download, twice now it's complained that it can't save the backup & stopped.

Bah.

Yawn!

I still don't understand why the register bemoans that old iphones don't get full functionality of IOS 4.2.... Can every Android device run 2.2?

Anyway, i'm not a fanboi or hater... got an iphone 3GS, and my droid phone is in the post.

FAIL

AirPrint ... How to make other printers work

Just a few HP printers!!! No way Jose... I found this preferences extension which make it work from my iPhone to all my printers, including the one my mini can see over wifi from the Time Capsule.

Printopia

I'm not trying to sell it, so Google away. However it works a treat for me and I'm sure there are other alternatives out there.

The question is then, why has Apple not just done it? Come on Apple this is lame.....so it's a FAIL from me.

Strange new usage of the word "lumbered"

"Switching between the two has been an odd exercise in time travel, as those of you whose PCs at work are still lumbered with Windows XP, even though you've moved to Windows 7 long ago on your personal box."

There's something very odd about that sentence, and it's not just the novel definition of "lumbered" that I was previously unaware of.

-A.

Welcome

Lock Ringer Volume

About f*#&ing time!

Nuff said.

Brightness

I Can't believe I didnt get a brighness control on my phone.

Makes me want to jail break!

The auto brightness just doesnt seem to have any effect so I always readjust when I change lighting situations such as night time or bright sunlight.

Thumb Down

USB mass storage capability would have been nice

to transfer file, rather than having to install a custom app on the host PC/Mac - and also a 3rd-party add-on app for the device itself such as FileApp or via cumbersome iTunes.

Inconvenient, when simple compliance to USB mass storage class would have sufficed. Also prefer not to jailbreak such device to make this work.

Preventing absurdly easy app deletion...

...is A Good Move in my books - it amazed me how simple it was to delete apps from the iPhone, and we've lost count of the number of times my wife had to reload something onto hers after it had spent a few seconds in the hands of our 3 year old son.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Multitasking

Does anyone know if this is like the new 'MultiFinder' feature in the Macintosh OS? It looks good and might catch on.

iCal attachments - AT LAST!

iOS 4.2 does bring the ability to add calendar invites to your calendar. Something that Apple have dragged their feet on for soooooo long. this was the only thing stopping us from allowing iPhone as a company phone.

ios 4.2.1

Big fat meh!

Airprint - no supporting printer therefore useless. Workaround is Dropbox.

Airplay - streams the wrong way, I wanna watch films on ipad streamed from front room PC whilst in bed. Workaround is paid app (AirVideo - 5 stars, recodes anything whilst streaming, quality app).

Still no Flash - workaround appears to be jailbreak, still holding off on that.

Button changed from screen lock to mute - never use either.

Multi tasking - I guess if I want to research something whilst penning an email is ok.

Folders - so obvious, should'a been there from the start, but gratefully received.

Things I want: 24 hour decision on apps bought, Flash (for the very few occasions required), streaming to ipad from PC, text recognition, Dropbox integrated into the OS 'cause it's bloody brilliant - so you could drop files in there and ipad would know how to open them, pdf's, ebooks etc.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.