back to article Angry Birds struggle to take on Androids

Angry Birds developer Rovio is mulling creating multiple versions for different Android handsets, as fragmentation of the platform causes headaches for anyone not using Adobe's Flash. Angry Birds is hugely popular on iOS, and was eagerly anticipated for Android, but the fragmentation of the Android platform has prompted Rovio …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. thesykes
    FAIL

Thanks for nothing, BBC

No problem with Angry Birds, runs on my £99 phone, a bit laggy on some levels, much better with Adfree running and blocking the ads.

My problem is with the BBC pulling the feed for MyPlayer. So, we have to tun Flash to watch iPlayer content? Cheers, have the BBC mandarins who came up with this little piece of wisdom been to the Adobe site and seen what phones can run Flash? An application so bad Apple banned it, whose big brother causes processors to run like crazy? (I can tell when the wife goes on Cafeworld just by the sudden sounds increase as the cooling fans kick in).

MyPlayer ran fine, OK the picture wasn't brilliant, but, for a few minutes light relief watching a bit of Mock The Week at lunch time, it was fine. Now, I'm stuck with no feed at all.

Either give us an official Android app or stop taking your bat and ball home and let MyPlayer do its job.

I don't want flash on my phone... smartphone batteries drain quick enough without Adobe getting their hands on it... now... where was I on Angry Birds?

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Unhappy

The BBC didn't pull the feeds

They threw a "Cease and Desist" order at Skynet (the myPlayer developer) forcing them to remove their iPlayer client. They did the same thing to BeebPlayer earlier in the year.

The "feeds" are still there, and all Android phones (from 1.6) are capable of playing them, but the BBC has killed both applications capable of accessing them.

You have to ask why the BBC feel it is necessary to spend licence money on lawyers to kill two applications that were doing them no harm and, indeed, were actually giving them some positive exposure. I'd love to know the thought processes involved as the decision seems rather bizarre.

The BBC are sticking to the "iPlayer *is* available on Android" line, irrespective of how many people try to explain that its only available on Flash 10 enabled devices, and that only devices with Android 2.2 AND Arm v7 processors (i.e only top end phones) can run Flash 10.

You just get the impression of iPlayer execs with their fingers in their ears going "la-la-la-la, I'm not listening"

2. Warren96

All this angst for a forkin game ?

People really was too much free time on their hands.

3. mky
    Pint

wow

There's just no pleasing some of you, how utterly typical

Probably wouldn't like a fine IPA either

4. D. M
    FAIL

tony

As a reg editor, I'd expect much better.

The problem here is clearly the "developer" cannot write code.

Also in what universe does apple not want to dominant?

5. brain_flakes
    WTF?

Is it so hard to have graphics options?

I remember when Angry Birds was first out Rovio stated that it wouldn't be available for the HTC Hero because the framerate was terrible, and not they have released it yep it's true, frame rate sucks.

Would it kill them to include in game graphics options, like not show the background, use lower res graphics etc.‽

6. B B Beyer
    Jobs Horns

No iOS fragmentation my arse

iPod touch 1st Gen has no mic. (and no facility to use the capsule one in an Apple headset), hence it can't run Voice Memos, Shazam, Guitar Tuner apps etc. So far, so reasonable.

What about a nice simple recipe app like "River Cottage Every Day", then? No particular hardware requirements there, yet it won't run on iPod touch 2nd Gen running iOS 4.2 - a pop-up window states that: "This App is Incompatible With This iPod touch. P2.requiredCapabilities.thisAppRequires"

What's that all about then, fanbois?

Oh, and my iPod touch 2nd Gen couldn't keep time for s*** up to OS 4.1 - constantly 10 minutes fast. Let's hope that is fixed in 4.2.

Off to watch to some embedded Flash video on my HTC Desire...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like