back to article Facebook unveils 'next-gen' messaging system

Facebook has unveiled a "next-generation" messaging system for its social networking–obsessed users. After speaking with some high schoolers during a Thanksgiving trip a couple of years ago — who told him that they rarely used email because it was "too slow" — Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg decided his social networking cum …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Tigra 07
    Terminator

This can't be good...

Google Warning for exporting info to FB:

"Hold on a second. Are you super sure you want to import your contact information for your friends into a service that won’t let you get it out? "

Facebook Wave Warning: "Hurry and export all your data to us so we can protect it from being stolen or sold. Creating a Facebook Email account is a legal admission that you are handing us your data to look after. Opting out from the Facebook Email program is also an admission that you want us to hold your data, as is starting a lawsuit, dying, or any other circumstance. Thank you for using Facebook Wave"

2. Tom Chiverton 1
    FAIL

Wow

According to http://www.facebook.com/help/?topic=new_messages#!/help/?faq=19031 it's going to be trivial for spammers to guess en-mass email address'.

3. Barry Tabrah
    Stop

double take

"It spans email as well as IM, text messages, and on-Facebook messages"

I misread spans as spams. A simple mistake or a portent of things to come?

4. Tigra 07
    Flame

This will only end badly...

Nothing better than getting round to reading a personal email from the bank and seeing that 300 people have already read it and "liked" it.

That won't be a problem with Facebook intercepting your post will it?

5. Andy Farley
    Go

I'd love this to work and all personal communication to go through it.

Which would mean my firewall increases company productivity be several orders of magnitude.

6. BorkedAgain
    Badgers

It's like wave, but...

...with a built-in set of ready-connected people, none of whom will need to wait months for an invitation to join in. So it might actually work this time.

If it actually IS wave (as in an implementation of the protocol underlying Google Wave) then there may be a chance that this would be the event that allowed the Wave protocol to reach critical mass and actually take off. Phoenix-style, in this case. Wouldn't that be nice?

Not sure I'd sign up for FaceWave though. They can Zuck my Berg...

7. Rajiv Dhir
    Jobs Horns

This is what I use my Palm Pre for

And it works because on a smartphone, you have access to all the channels and its immediate. Nobody's friends are exclusively on one channel, nor do I use use a consistent channel for with each friend. I have one with a blackberry who replies to emails with texts (go figure), she does it to avoid the danger of reply all.

So when this service is available on a smartphone or it can incorporate a lot of channels its might be worth worrying about.

8. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Stop

FB, I've upped my security, now up yours!

Knowing that FB trade all manner of personal info to the ad scumbags and FB's grip on security is tenuous to say the least, there is no way I would trust them to handle email!

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Stuart Jones

Lars Rasmussen - the Google Wave developer was allegedly defecting to Facebook

According to this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/31/rasmussen_leaves_google_for_facebook/

Lars Rasmussen - the Google Wave developer was allegedly defecting to Facebook

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Everyone's happy!

For FB users, some useful additional functionility to make use of.

For non FB users, something else to moan and bitch about.

Everyone's happy!

12. Mark .

"Integration"

So does this mean someone using a random email service can message someone at Facebook, and vice versa? And someone can SMS someone at Facebook, and vice versa? If so, great.

But if this is a walled garden, then there's no integration, it's just Yet Another Messaging Service. With the downside that it's all controlled by one company (unlike email, SMS etc where anyone can use the protocols). If I have to sign up to Facebook to contact someone at Facebook, and still have to use email to talk to someone not on Facebook, where's the integration?

Now given that they say "This is a messaging system that uses email as one part of it." it suggests the former. But given Facebook's walled garden approach, I'm sceptical...

Regarding privacy - yes, I would be concerned over Facebook's habit of making data public even when you'd previously specified it to be restricted.

13. Michael C

So what you're saying is...

...the system I use for personal, private, point to point communication to avoid having data i don't want on Facebook end up on Facebook is now integrated into Facebook? More, people I don;t share some of those things with, but yet that I am friends with, may have access to those other addresses now too?

[[[Seeking Opt-Out Link Now]]]

The ONLY reasons I have a Facebook account are so that the wife and her friends have another neighbor in those damned flash games, and so people i have not talked to in 10 years have SOME way to find me that does not involve me sharing or publishing accounts I actually care to protect. I check the feed on my phone periodically, just to chuckle, usually at how stupid some people are to be posting publicly what they do, and if i post a reply once a week its rare.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh how they all mock....

it makes me laugh when the self appointed elitists all mock the facebook generation

yeah, facebook has a lot of shite, all block able, but at the end of the day facebook is a bit of a (enter deity of choice here)-send for me..

In the past, the amount of times I have had to sort out email accounts for family, complain at them for sending me e-cards via email from dumbass companies that then spam me to death... re-setting accounts because they lost the password, making new accounts because of all the spam they get...

these days because facebook is so simple for them to use and understand it has given me plenty of free time to get on with what i want to do... i don’t get phone calls to talk them through attaching a photo to an email.... they don’t send me emails riddled with virus....

for all you self appointed elitists... learn to embrace the facebook generation.. They are not your enemy...they, in a lot of cases, are your family…

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like