back to article Facebook set to unveil 'Gmail killer'

Facebook is hosting a press event in San Francisco on Monday, and the rumor is that the social networking giant will introduce its very own online email service. The invitation sent to The Reg indicates that Monday's event involves Facebook's on-site email-like "Inbox" tool — the invite includes the Inbox icon — and the word …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jamie Kitson

oops

I'm beginning to regret my choice of handle... mardybumhead indeed.

2. whats the point of kenny lynch?
    Grenade

yep, it will be big

i've said it before....

facebook is the biggest threat to google and microsoft. you may not like or trust them, but joe public loves facebook and will use it for messaging, creating/storing documents, images, music etc etc..

this is just the tip of the iceberg and microsoft would be wise to snuggle a little closer to them if they really want to defeat google.

3. Scott 39
    Stop

Alarmist Tripe

It is apparent from both the spewing misinformation about how Facebook works and the apocalyptic alarmism that the majority of posters don't actually use Facebook.

This won't end the online world as we know it.

Virtually all of the implications made here about how Facebook works are false.

I use Facebook. I don't, gasp, share or post things that I am not comfortable sharing. What a concept! I don't friend people whose comments I do not want on my wall. Wow! I don't set my privacy to allow strangers to see my posts. I, despite my intentional exclusion of coworkers, would not be the least bit concerned if the president of our company read every tidbit in my Facebook account. That's because I don't do stupid things and then blame others when it doesn't work out. I am, however, continually amazed at how the product has reconnected me to family and friends that I simply haven't had time to keep in touch with over the decades. I have a busy life. I don't spend excessive time online. Yet, my life is much, much richer for having used this product. The ease with which this has happened is the killer feature. Now, with the smart phone making it that much easier, it is perfect for me. And no, I am not vapid, self absorbed, arrogant, or exhibitionist. I spend my time in the real world. I understand the technical nature of the product. I understand the privacy implications. It is a tool.

I don't plan to use FB email. If sufficient numbers of friends, family, and colleagues use it, and there are compelling tie-ins to make it useful, I may use it after all. If it is a dumbed down and restrictive product, I probably won't. That's my objection to the iphone and gmail's conversation view, after all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's about time

Now I'll have an email addy that's even more douchey (ie hipstery) than my gmail.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like