back to article First official HTML5 tests topped by...Microsoft

The Worldwide Web Consortium has released the results of its first HTML5 conformance tests, and according to this initial rundown, the browser that most closely adheres to the latest set of web standards is...Microsoft Internet Explorer 9. Yes, the HTML5 spec has yet to be finalised. And yes, these tests cover only a portion of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alert

IE9 hasn't necessarily won the race yet.

Standards evolve at a frantic pace, with a lot of the spec being written in retrospect to accommodate progressive browser implementations. While the Webkit and Gecko teams work iteratively in an environment of rapid development, IE versioning has always come in disparate version releases which do not upgrade gracefully rather than feature-laden optimisations in the form of point-releases. If IE9 wants to stay ahead of the game, Microsoft would need to fundamentally change the way the IE team works — but the cost & security issues of core MS product uptake make such a model difficult to implement.

In the meantime, check out IE9's CSS3 support — abysmal!

But will it start up in under five seconds?

That's the current downfall of firefox. Yes, it does its job pretty well out of the box and what it doesn't do can be sorted with extensions. But it comes with a hefty and excruciatingly s-l-o-o-o-o-w startup which surely isn't necessary if you save the program state properly on shutdown and resume from there rather than reading everything afresh every time.

Oddly

Oddly enough both Opera and Internet Explorer (8) take much longer to load (from cold) than Firefox (with several extensions) on my PC at home. Though my home PC is a Windows 7 (x64) box with 6 gigs of RAM so "slow" is somewhat relative.

Though on the XP system at work, Firefox (with the same extensions) is far slower than Opera to boot.

Alert

The tests were made for this headline. You've been gamed.

Ugh. This is for shock value more. Any tests can be gamed and Microsoft provided just about all of these tests.

You just hooked on the bait when all the other companies have been driving and writing these standards.

Finally! :-) can't wait to try it!

So where do I click to download the Linux version?....

IMO a decent browser is OS agnostic so I don't have to choose my OS to choose my browser. Great news though and a past IE hater, i'm actually quite enthusiastic about the idea of a compliant browser for the majority web users... here's hoping for no more ugly IE fix hacks in my web coding.

Troll

for the vast majority of web users...

... as long as you're prepared to upgrade from XP to Windows 7.

Realistically, Microsoft's decision to not make IE9 compatible with XP (for largely spurious or contrived reasons) means that for at least another couple or years, possibly a good deal longer, the browser market will become more fragmented than ever.

Dead Vulture

No title required

Firefox did better than Chrome in your total.

The figures clearly show Firefox scores a collective 626.58% in 7 categories, while Chrome scores only 616.32%

So when you say "followed by" at least put it in the right order.

Gold badge

html vs. Css

@ian yates, bloated is bloated, whether you've got 512MB of 6GB of RAM, if something uses more RAM than it should it's bloated. Personally i haven't had problems with browser bloat on even a 512MB system but it's bigger than it should be.

I'm with the Microsoft guy on one point. It pains me to agree w/ ms, but saying html and css have nothing to do with each other is taking the piss, when html pages use css to affect page layout.

Coat

Platform dependent =

... ultimately, a fail.

Due to Microsofts still dominant *desktop* market share, they can get away with platform dependence ... for now.

Or will we continue to suffer from fragmentation, on, what was ultimately *supposed* to be a set of standards?

I fear so - this move by microsoft is more than likely another 'dominate' strategy - they lost ground way back when with earlier versions of internet explorer, then came out with Internet Explorer 4, which, to all intents and purposes, killed Netscape, to such a degree, that they held sway in the browser market until Mozilla rose from the ashes of Netscape.

Fragmentation seems to be a human condition - a set of standards will always be interpreted - it keeps me in a job, so I can't moan too much ....

FAIL

gulible fools

Anyone reporting this Microsoft or stunt as news. What Microsoft have done here is submitted test cases known to work in ie9 and fail in other browsers. A big or stunt this is.

For example, Opera gets 0% in the SVG tests, despite having the highest SVG support of any browser. The reason is because the SVG tests don't use XHTML5 - there are at least 7 other tests in the suite that do use XHTML5 (all of which IE9 happens to get 100% in), but none of the SVG ones do, causing Opera's 0% scor

Gates Horns

Tests are NOT official

Microsoft authored the tests, and published them (labelled "official") without the knowledge or consent of other browser vendors or the rest of the W3C (MS is a part of the W3C).

@Cade Metz

Recommend removing the word "official" in the title

Anonymous Coward

The best software runs on best OS

Forget it IT-heretics, others do things with their Windows 7/IE9 that you can only dream while sleeping hugging your linux box with half-baked-software such as Opera and the rest of them. It's not mobile toy that you confuse for a business/gaming/personal computer, you have to actually compete on PC market and invest, invest and invest into tools, processes, engineers, methodologies, standards and so on, an arms race your open-source buddies simply won't sustain. Period. Study history of modern software which is ironically a history of Microsoft, like it or not.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums