back to article Little Chef in 'I ♥ Charlie' t-shirt outrage

Roadside foodmonger Little Chef has fallen foul of the Sun for punting an "I ♥ Charlie" t-shirt which is apparently doing a roaring trade with students with a penchant for marching with Bolivians. The Little Chef I Love Charlie t-shirt The shirt is, of course, intended to celebrate the chain's culinary mascot, but as the Sun …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Sun missed the obvious spelling difference then?

Because when talking about Cocaine in a slang vernacular, it's called Charly, not charlie. Idiots - typically they don't know anything about the thing they're outraged at. This is why we need decent drug education in this country.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advertising

Look, we all know Roops papers have a penchant for advertising Roop's other products in what might politely be called advertisements thinly disguised as editorial.

How about this being a clever advert for the T-shirts. Maybe students haven't been snapping up the t-shirts, but little chef hoped they would. So they could either, bung a journalist a few free bacon sarnies to run the story or simply pose as an outraged mum and ring the news desk and hope the eejits at the Sun buy it.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

IT Angle

I believe the next release of 'Monarch' - the management app for small countries everywhere - is going to be called Charlie 3.0, this might be showing your support for him.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: IT Angle

Except of course that for the next version of "Monarch", "Charlie" is only the development name and it's already been said that the RTM version will be called "George".

I reckon it's something to do with being as nutty as a fruitcake and talking to plants myself.

4. Tron Silver badge

In the public interest...

...we really need a website that closely monitors the personal habits of tabloid hacks, specifically keeping a close eye on their addictive and sexual misdemeanours. They make their ill-gotten gains snooping into other folks' affairs, not least at the expense of the England football team. Let's turn the spotlight on them, and see how their lives and marriages hold up to persistent scrutiny.

One for the citizen journalists and bloggers who are always getting ripped off by them, perhaps.

5. heyrick Silver badge

Charlie says...

...don't play with matches.

Or read the Sun.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My first thought too

Although I only remember Charlie telling children not to talk to strangers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's nothing

Amazon product spammer "shop-<greekgod>"* is selling bibs with the same slogan http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Bib-I-Love-Charlie/dp/B0030GHOP0/

ok so they seemingly just auto-generate products from a database of peoples names and you can find the same product for almost anyone by searching "shop-<greek god>*" <name> but they're evil and they are corrupting our children and they must be stopped. light the pitchforks and sharpen the torches etc...

*replaced the real name of a god that rhymes with moose to try and show I'm not advocating them or buying their products (I did and the quality's rubbish so really don't bother).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Charlie the Unicorn FTW

Or is this another Charlie?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"was last night accused of encouraging drug use" ... by whom?

Guess it's either the Mum quoted - therefore holds no authority - not worth mentioning, or is just made up.

No outrage 'cause no doubt they want to 'ave-a-larf with the readership.

Also, no moral highground can be held when the rag punts as much juvenile sexualised content as it does.

8 out of 10 paedophiles read The Sun.

9. miknik

Simmering rage...

Someone bought me one of these for a laugh on my birthday, that was in January so they have taken a while getting wound up over this. Its not new, and its not news and that's why it's in The Sun.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Protecting the 'children'

Hmm, aren't university students all over 18? So independent adults? So I reckon legally entitled to wear t-shirts with whatever slogan they choose (within the bounds of obscenity/decency etc)?

Doesn't cocaine dull your sense of taste? Perfect for a plateful of the cardboard shite served up at a Little Chef then.

I'm actually quite impressed at the thought there might be enough of a legitimate market for these (ie. people who like the place enough to show their support in public) for them to sell them in the first place!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Protecting the 'children'

It suppresses appetite too. So you probably wouldn't want any food from Little Chef or anywhere else.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

My name really is charlie

If you love me, you'll show it.

Why is that so wrong?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.