back to article Linus Torvalds outs himself as US citizen

Linux creator Linus Torvalds is now a US citizen. On Monday, the Finland-born Torvalds revealed the news in passing with a post to the Linux kernel mailing list. "I'll test that myself (but in a bit - I need to go do voter registration and socsec update first, though - I became a US citizen last week)," he wrote. And this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope he'll have the american flag on display everywhere

although he'll have missed out on singing the national anthem every day

2. Magnus_Pym
    Stop

If he lives there...

... with his family. It must be a right pain in the arse every time he has to fill in an form and it gets to the bit about 'If not a US citizen you will need to fill in additional 20 page form xyz'.

Surely choosing to live there is the big thing. Citizenship is just a no-brainer after that.

1. PT

.. and wants to continue to live there ..

Becoming a US citizen is simple prudence for people with property and family here, kind of like locking the front door when you leave the house. It wasn't always so, but since 2001 very large numbers of long-term legal residents (myself included) have gone through the tedious and expensive process as a matter of self defense.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Grumpy as I want to be

Quote - "@jaitch - feh on your hatred and negativity"

Sorry, you lost me there, where was the hatred and/or negativity? Are you suggesting that the Japanese internment didn't happen?

But I guess that as uncritical patriotism (heave), is a well known feature of American society you are just running the instruction set they have programmed you with.

(Dont bother ranting back saying I hate Americans, not true. Been there many times and have had many American friiends over the years).

1. peyton?

American friends?

What are they - pen pals or something? It doesn't sound as though you've ever actually been here. Since our elections generally end fairly closely, it's a given that at any point in time 50% of the country is completely disgusted with - and critical of - the other half.

To be honest, I figured this was just a reflection of our British roots.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@peyton?

I assume you're replying to my post, difficult to tell since you're not making much sense.

Maybe you're having trouble with the complicated (big) words. I was talking about Patriotism (big word) not politics (small word), get it now?

Nope theyre not pen friends, they are the kind you keep even though you don't see them for years, a concept you are obviously not familiar with.

1. peyton?
          Happy

yikes dude - calm down

No need for all the condescension.

I don't have access to the OED at the moment, so you will have to suffer an American dictionary definition:

patriot: one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests

"My party didn't win, but it's the will of the people so, oh well, there's always next election." <- patriotic

"My party didn't win, the current administration is anti-constitution, deceitful, should be impeached (or worse). I'm not paying taxes to this (democratically voted) regime" <- not patriotic

Am I mistaken that the above example show a mix of politics and patriotism (or lack thereof)?

(ps you didn't respond to whether you've actually been over here)

(pps is POLITICS a bigger word than Patriotism?)

(ppps I'm leaving you a smiley. Feel free to meditate on the simple contentedness it exudes)

4. Anton Ivanov
    IT Angle

Strange reference to strangers

OK, if Linus is the Stranger in a Strange Land who is Jubal Hershaw? Stallman... Ughh... revolting thought...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

raised the IQ by a (small) fraction of a point

Of the country. It would take a lot more people like Linus to raise it to the level of a moron.

6. Rinsey
    Jobs Horns

Congratulations indeed.

Next he'll be buying an iPhone...

7. Bryce 2

Wow

Look at all the hate here.

So the USA has done thing in it's past that aren't so great.

So the USA is currently doing things now that aren't so great.

How many countries can claim in their pasts never to have done something that isn't so great?

The USA is still a relatively young country compared to those on the other side of the atlantic. I'm sure that there are MANY things that some European countries wish they could shove under the rug and never look at again. Much less think about.

1. peyton?

It's called a 'scapegoat'

Rather than acknowledge that complicated problems have complicated, *multinational* origins, it's easier to just whitewash yourself with a 'damned seppos' and be done with it. Ignorance is bliss after all.

And no, I'm not trying to say the US is blameless in the problems of the world - merely that it is a shared blame. Although, I do often find it ironic that we are both "dumb" yet are able to mastermind highly sophisticated, Hollywood-esque conspiracies and get away with it. Surely that requires some intelligence. Which is it??

1. Jolyon

Dumb?

If only.

2. CD001

Hell no

We're proud of our slave-trading, murderous, intolerant, imperious past ... honest :\

... actually, I'm sure some of the knuckle dragging troglodytes which inhabit this sceptred isle really are :(

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Wow

Actually, the US is one of the oldest continous governments in the world. When the US was born, France was a pure monarch, and what are Germany and Italy were a bunch of principalities and/or city states, I don't think Poland existed as a country.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The end is near!

We are all doomed!

Linux is in the hands of Americans.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

USA #1!

Linus and Paris. Is this a great country or what?!

10. h 6
    Happy

Sod off.

We'll gladly take the Internet back from you, thank you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Mr. Tovalds

Welcome to America Mr. Tovalds. I am very happy you choose to be an citizen of the USA. We need smart people like you to make computers really work and not the bilion dollar hype crap that Mr. Gates is selling everybody.

12. Magnus_Pym
    FAIL

We?

What are people here going on about ? 'Us lot are better than you lot' and 'We did this thing', 'You did that thing'. For most people the only thing they 'did' in connection with the 'thing' was to be be born in a geographical area that is currently taken to be a part of a group containing a geographical area that the thing has been historically connected with.

Nationality can be changed, Borders change, alliances change. Fuck your nationalism: it means nothing.

13. Gary Heston
    Thumb Up

One word to Mr. Torvalds:

WELCOME!

netgeek

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like