back to article 'Larry and Sergey's HTML5 balls drained my resources'

Google's latest animated logo on its search homepage has caused a kerfuffle among many surfers whose CPU has been besieged by the ballsy doodle. The Mountain View Chocolate Factory released its fancy HTML5-based BuckyBall animation on Saturday, and immediately users began complaining that it was sucking up too much CPU. Reg …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. The Original Steve

Hmmmm

Couple of things:

Get a better computer. 100% or 75%.... Seriously! Close some apps, format or just upgrade

I don't need to move my mouse over the JS boxes to use the search on Bing

The Bing thing is at least trying to be useful. (Random topic's daily of obsecure but sometimes interesting stuff)

Google has been praised for YEARS for it's "clean" image. Bing isn't after that - hence the rather lovely backgrounds it puts on everyday. Google went backwards.

1. Andy Watt
    Flame

How much CO2?....

I'm being deliberately awkward here - but how much fossil fuel generated energy did Google just consume? They can deplot this from their bloody labs in the US and inflict it on other nations... seriously, anyone got the smarts to do an estimate based on the number of dumb terminals - sorry - users who don't bother with alternative Google landing pages?

Dicking around like this looks pretty but constant fiddling usually results in BORKING.

2. bod43

To add to previous comment

I thought the article was about the orange "buckyball" spiraling whizzing logo of the other day. But no, it's a new daft useless whizzer that we don't need.

I did not see this latest one since I switched to www.google.co.uk/firefox as my home page when the buckballs logo appeared and it does not have the logo. The new floating-bouncing-balls one is much less intensive on my PC but still undesirable to me.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Megaphone

Silly demo

No CPU suckage here on FF on Mac OS (different matter when running on FreeBSD 8.1)

The animation only seems to work with Chrome and FF with browser sniffing used on Safari and Opera. This is *the wrong thing to do*™ with HTML5 and it's also a pointless animation that adds very little to the page. But then again it's limited to the UK Google homepage which I guess doesn't get that many visitors now that all browsers have search boxes.

4. Hegghogg

Animation?

I quite like it, actually. Although I didn't realise it *was* an animation at first. I just figured the computer was busy doing some indeterminate-Windows-background-grindy-stuff. It was only after I glanced up and noticed it was a slightly different position I realised it was actually an odd sort of slideshow.

As for this latest thing about the exploding coloured spots, I decided it was probably better to use the toolbar search. Although the interactive animation does work prettily well on Ubuntu*.

---

* Yes, I know: *everything's* better in Linux...

5. Tim Walker
    Linux

The acid test (no, not THAT one)...

I just accessed the Google home page via Chrome, running under Linux (Eeebuntu) on my Asus Eee 701SD (630MHz Celeron CPU, 512Mb RAM). If any recent PC could be brought to a shuddering halt by the Google ball demo, you'd think it would be an early (2007) netbook...

Yes, Chrome ended up using about 45% of the CPU when the balls were at their most active, but the load average didn't get above 1.3 (and that was with Rhythmbox playing an Ogg Vorbis file at the same time). The machine stayed perfectly usable throughout.

Not to be smug or anything, but if a 3GHz-packing PC can be brought down by this demo, whilst a comparatively weedy netbook barely breaks a sweat... erm, might the OS and/or browser be a factor here?

Tux, 'cos there's no "light blue touchpaper" icon yet ;-)

6. Captain Black
    WTF?

No Title

Isn't this a bit out of date? The BuckyBall has already gone, they are using some particle animation now. I thought for a minute you we're referring to the particles but then you mentioned HTML5, which that is not.

7. Mage Silver badge
    Badgers

It does indeed

It works very smoothly on my 8 y.o. 1.8GHz P4M laptop 1600x1200 GeForce 440 go 32M

But does indeed use 100% CPU. But only at load or if you "mouse over" it,

There is also always Bing.

8. Kolin
    FAIL

HTML5

Its a combination of CSS3 and Javascript, No HTML5 involved.

9. Fork

Buckyball?

The BuckyBall logo was the other day?

I take it you actually mean today's HTML5-y coloured balls logo?

10. JasonW
    Boffin

Wow...

... but how long is my browser actually pointed at the Google homepage?

A: not often and not for long, I (perhaps strangely) open up the page, search and move on...

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Am I missing something?

Another forum mentioned this, but all I can see is the vanilla google page.

Browsers tried:

IE6 (I know, I know, corporate install)

Firefox 3.5 Windows

Firefox 3 Linux

Logged out of "google account" (for gmail). Not using https. Tried .com and .co.uk . Just a static picture.

Has it been taken down?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know why they've done this

It doesn't even look particularly nice when it runs properly. And for those poor souls stuck with old clunkers at work it's a nightmare.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

No problem...

...using i.e.8 or Opera...<grin>

14. quicksilver

Am I missing something?

The article is talking about an HTML5 animation of a buckyball that went live on Saturday (3 days ago! nothing like current news content ...).

Today's doodle is a bunch of dots that move according to your mouse gestures and settle down into the logo if you don't do anytihng. That's written in JavaScript.

Seems to me there are two things being talked about here - or should i get my coat?

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nothing to see here...

No issue at this end...if it peaks at 17% usage it drops back down to almost ziltch after a few seconds...some folk like to moan for the sake of it, it'd seem..

16. midnightwolf76
    WTF?

Sucks up CPU, say what?

Sorry, but something else must be sucking up your CPU, I tested Google's homepage with both cores (AMD X2 Kuma) and with only one core. No matter how much I move my mouse around and play with the doodle, my CPU never goes above 40% in single core or using both cores.

On my laptop (Intel Core2Duo) I also tested Google's homepage with both cores 49%, with one core 47%.

Perhaps all of you are running too many addons, don't have the latest Firefox, or something else entirely.

1. Danny 14

aye

but 40% for a webpage is pretty mental though.

17. max allan

Which animation are we talking about?

Are we talking the buckyball spinning logo or today's flying balls that escape from the mouse pointer?

Neither have caused me any trouble with IE or chrome.

18. John 62
    Thumb Up

chrome

they may have disappeared the http:// just to annoy everyone, but the circles barely register any CPU usage on my 3GHz C2D

19. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I just wasted over a minutes potential productivity playing with it.

OMG I'm crippling the economy.

I demand the Daily Mail write an article about my freeloading.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Cue the Jobsian response...

"Get a better PC. Not that big of a deal."

21. bofh80
    Paris Hilton

Almost 10 years to the day

El Reg never made such a hullabaloo when i sent the same wondrous problem with using THEREGISTER as my home page. Why? FLASH ADS.

Would they listen, did they even report it? NO

In fact, with all these quips from apple about flash posted here, it's fun to note at the time that EL Reg though that Flash worked fine, and it was obviously a problem with the 3 different pc's i was using.

funny how things go innit.

Paris for sheer wonderous humor.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another winge

Did the nasty google monster slow your PeeCees down?

Awwwwww Diddums

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For a tech blog...

There sure are a lot of luddites here...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I just use...

I just use Bing, have done for a while now.

Good, relevant search results, no pointless Googly clutter, and no handing all my details over permenantly to the anti-privacy evil scum at Google.

1. Wallyb132
      Gates Horns

hahahaha.... excuse me while i gather myself... hahahahahaha...

Sir you shouldn't do that so early in the morning, now i have to spend the entire day looking all filthy and dirty from rolling around on the floor laughing at your statement.

Did you use the words bing, google clutter and anti-privacy evil scum in the same sentence trying to infer that google is evil and microsoft isnt?

Wow, you're either a great comedian or frighteningly stupid, i cant determine which...

25. JaneW
    FAIL

HTML5?

Nothing about it is HTML5. It uses some CSS3 border-radius properties for the balls, but there are no HTML5 elements, it's all JavaScript and DIV's!

Another misuse of the HTML5 moniker, I'm afraid...

26. Jim T
    Stop

Nooo

It's a search page, not your main work screen.

It uses no CPU at all when it's still.

Seriously, did some actually mention carbon usage?

It's an animation, not the friggin apocolaypse.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Meh

I noticed these bouncy ball things this morning. But I typed in the search bar, hit Enter, and never thought anything more about them. They probably spent less than 10 seconds on screen.

You people need to just get on with searching.

28. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    FAIL

Google - so last decade

Just use duckduckgo.com

Just make sure you change your settings to uk

29. Simon Lacey

OmniBar

Because of the omnibar in chrome, I only ever visit the google homepage when someone points out there is something fun to see. Likewise the search box on Opera/IE/FF.

30. Mike G
    Thumb Down

5tards/itards

Fact is that flash animation is a lot more cpu efficient than the same animation implemented in html5. This kind of pointless animation used to get a load of stick (rightly) when it was done in flash (albeit the best tool for the job) as it's entirely superfluous to user experience. Now that it's done in html5 it's now 'cool' to add pointless tat?

31. Cyberspy
    Paris Hilton

Get a life

It's a bit of fun which (on my PC) didn't raise CPU usage above 12% for FF, Chrome, Safari or IE 8 (it did look shit in IE though, coz the balls stayed the same size instead of getting bigger).

It made no difference to the CPU while it wasn't being used.

If you don't like it, move on.

If you see it as a bit of fun, showing what HTML5 is capable of, then play with it.

Whatever you do though, quit the moaning

Paris, coz even she wouldn't moan like this!

32. RichyS
    Thumb Up

No real problem either

0% CPU usage when just idling. Max I can get is 16% when flinging my balls about. This is using Safari on a ThinkPad X61 (no idea what CPU etc. I have).

However, some useless Symantec thing is gobbling up over 40% of my CPU. Damn you corporate IT. Honestly, having these anti virus things is worse than having a virus...

33. Rich 30

or..

Just use IE6 like on my work machines. I just get the plain, boring Google page.

34. iammart
    Happy

Google's fancy-pants doodle sucks up CPU?

No it didn't...

Doodles rock!

35. peyton?
    Grenade

Can't use the https version either

As that involves encryption, which uses more cpu, which obviously* will doom the planet.

*Where "obviously" in this case means "let me drag in something completely unrelated to make my pathetic whinging sound important"

36. John Doe 12
    Thumb Down

The IT Crowd

Jesus. Would you all listen to yourselves? No wonder the IT Crowd is such a successful tv show - it's based on you bunch of retards!!

"buy the latest and greatest tech that can handle it then instead of whinning about it..."

What a dickhead answer - no wonder it was posted AC. Oh and learn to spell whining properly.

"Get NoScript (for Firefox) and don't enable (pointless) Javascript!"

Like 90% of internet users know what the hell your talking about.

"This is genuinely pathetic, who actually needs to spend long enough on the plain, no widget google page for it to even matter?"

A lot of people leave the google homepage up and go for a cup of tea of make dinner. You don't expect it to raise the CPU of your laptop over 25 degrees just for giggles. This poster gives depth to the word pathetic.

"Heaven forbid a company tries to do something different..."

Yet another AC - obviously works for google - probably designed this pointless piece of shit.

"finally you have a use for your cpu"

This one is classic IT crowd - I could just see the moron with the glasses and afro saying this!

"It's no big deal, just use a text-only browser."

This feedback is the gift that keeps on giving.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: The IT Crowd

Alright, John, you've said your piece. Now please sit down and remember that it's a beautiful world and we are all brothers.

Everyone else - deep breaths. If you're going to fling rotten fruit please take care because backspatter can be a bastard.

2. Fuzz

your you're

"Like 90% of internet users know what the hell your talking about."

Your is a possessive pronoun, you need to use you're as in the abbreviated form of you are. If you are going to attack people for their comments and pick them up on spelling you could at least use the correct word.

1. Shades
        Pint

I love pedantry...

...especially when its with regard to a response to one of my comments!

// Beer for you! :)

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what page

I type my searches into a search box on Firefoxes toolbar. So I never see these fancy Google pages. Unless I go there to see what all the fuss is about.

38. blackworx
    Badgers

Irony...

Funny there are so many people taking the time and energy to complain about lost CPU time and increased consumption/CO2 emissions caused by this bit of fluff.

Ah, who am I to criticise? I'm sure they'll all be walking/cycling home from work tonight.

39. Russell Howe
    Flame

Is it just me...

... or is the real story that browsers are bloated, slow, poorly coded and inefficient, not taking advantage of modern hardware (OK, IE9 apparently uses DirectX for some things - way to lead the curve MS.. DX has been out since W95!) blah blah blah.

Oh, it's also more than a bit to do with the fact that web pages^Wapplications contain embedded programming in the form of Javascript which is making people jump through crazy hoops to produce optimising JIT JS engines in their browsers.

It's time people sat down and worked out what HTML should and should not do. Occasionally some bright ideas come along like out of process plugins, separate processes/threads for separate tabs/windows, private modes which bypass various features, flashblock (which I believe should be on by default for every browser extension in every browser - IE can apparently do this, but it's not the default?) but these ideas are often things which really should have been there from the beginning and which seem pretty obvious now...

Not to mention the craziness that is XmlHttpRequest - if you want a bidirectional communication protocol then design and use a bidirectional data-sharing protocol. That's not really what HTTP is, now, is it?

If this animation slows the machine down then that's the OS's fault for not scheduling things well and if it drains your power then maybe we need to look at OS design and do things like a power cap per application or something?

Oh and why isn't the world on IPv6 yet? We should ditch NAT whilst we're at it as well as kill those proprietary email protocols and get IMAP or something similar up to scratch.

Any volunteers? I'd like it done by pub-o-clock please. I can pay you 20p

40. The Unexpected Bill
    Alert

Uhm, well...

"I've probably got the oldest computer of anyone here and..."

Oh, never mind. Suffice it to say that while running Firefox 3.6.8 on an 2001-era 1.4GHz P4 NCR box with Windows XP, and GeForce2 MX graphics, the offending "doodle" doesn't cause any significant problem.

Two ways I can sum it up, pick the one you like:

1. Sometimes "it works and it's paid for" really rings true, eh?

2. Perhaps all of you are running Vista or some equally bloated OS? (Though I'd have expected better from the average El Reg reader...)

41. Why
    Unhappy

So last century..

I need some advice. Should I bother to switch browsers to FireFox from Opera upon this Cyrix 266 chip (Circa 1998) with 196 mb of ram running, in order to "try" to watch

1. Some sort of new fangled swirly doo hickey thingamijig not go round and about.

2.My machine lock up and some vigorous pc. 3 finger saluting take place?

When the buckyballs were mentioned I thought we were in for some sort of message from the future, "Andromeda effect"...sadly not, it's just another geeky day in Internet land.

I now expect a flurry of posts from people reading el reg on even older "this ole box" (es) than this one...

42. Annihilator
    Black Helicopters

It's Google's new distributed datacentre

All your CPU cycles are belong to us

43. Why
    WTF?

Trolls please

@JonDoe12

You might have least used the troll icon.

44. heyrick Silver badge

I thought it was really cute!

Running latest stable Firefox on an eeePC (1.6GHz N270), the system loading didn't change much. I can't give an accurate quote, only a look'n'feel, and it didn't seem much different to, like, when a shopping site does all its scripty stuff. The initial swirl-in effect was a bit jumpy, but once the bucky ball was full size, animation was smooth and responsive and followed the mouse nicely.

100% CPU time? Not even close (and, frankly, shouldn't even be possible with a modern OS).

This topic is closed for new posts.