back to article USB stick with anti-terror training found outside police station

A memory stick containing anti-terror training manuals and other sensitive material was reportedly found on a street outside a Manchester police station. The Greater Manchester Police-branded stick, which also held personnel files, was found by an unnamed businessman outside a cop shop in Stalybridge, Greater Manchester, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

Go to Owl and sell it

Everybody is committing a crime all the time anyway.

So who cares.

1. Wize

If I did this...

...my company would kick me out the door in a heart beat.

We have company policies about not coping company sensitive material onto non company devices (eg personal laptop) or removable media.

Was anyone sacked the last few times government officials lost unencrypted media?

I wonder if they will take the finder at his word that he didn't copy it or if they will double check his PC for him.

2. Martin Milan
    Thumb Down

Anti-Terrorism eh?

From the Public Order Unit?

Are we really back to seeing every peaceful protestor as a terrorist / domestic extremist again?

3. SImon Hobson Bronze badge
    FAIL

ASSUME makes ...

and ASS out of U and ME

Why do several previous comments all make the statement that it was "obviously the property of the Police" ?

Have so few people been to events where branded memory sticks like sweets ? All the logo means is that it once belonged to the unit concerned. It may still belong to them, it may have been given out to all attendees at some event, it may have been given out as some sort of promotional tool.

Having said that, someone local got arrested a while ago for "theft by finding" when he found a wallet in the street - even though he was on his way directly to the Police Station to hand it in ! But it's still only theft if there is an intention to permanently deprive the owner of it.

1. Jimbo 6

Promotional Tool ?

Anyone else remember the Viz advert ?

"Robbed ? Burgled ? Run over ?

Why not call the POLICE ?"

2. Anonymous John

It's a reasonable assumpion.

Police logo, and found outside a police station. What are the odds of another explanation? One in a hundred? One in ten thousand?

1. Wize

Maybe...

...he thought it was a designer label.

4. Remy Redert

Re: True!

I must admit to regularly sticking unknown USB sticks into my PCs, with little fear of their contents. This might have something to do with the fact that on the few Windows machines I have, auto-run and network share drives are off and the rest is all *nix machines running low privileged accounts.

Now if this person stuck that unknown USB stick into a badly secured Windows machine, then yes, he's a bloody idiot. Similarly, if he did not take precautions to ensure he remained anonymous when he turned that stick in, he's a bloody idiot.

5. Richard Porter
    FAIL

Non-authorised devices

“Companies should ensure all data copied to USB sticks and CDs is automatically encrypted, and the use of all non-authorised devices controlled."

Isn't this like saying all illegal immigrants should be counted at the point of entry? If the device is non-authorised how do you know it's being used?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not that hard

USB devices have unique IDs. Block anything but the few IDs you know should be used. Any BOFH worth his salt should be able to do this.

6. Peter 39

encryption on the stick

It's true that some on-stick encryption is not that great, although it'll keep out many.

Better is to have the stick as an encrypted filesystem so the crypto is done in the host. Of course, that only works if the host itself is secured well enough. If it's WIndows (probably the safest of all the assumptions in this thread) then this could be problematic.

Superglue on all the USB ports, optical drives etc isn't really a viable idea.

A better one would be to fire the IT firm and hire one that knows how to do it. Probably not the lowest bidder.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

On another note

Why were the Police 'in the process of findign out who the owner was'...all controlled USBs should be logged with their owner information. Asset management anybody? Blimey, even my company has a list of all USB serial numbers for non-government/sensitive data.

8. Remy Redert

@Richard

By forcing the machine to only read/write to encrypted and authenticated devices, refusing to allow any action to be taken with an unencrypted and unauthorised USB stick. Simple enough in theory, don't know how easy that one is to implement though.

9. Juan Inamillion
    Coat

Alternative

How about this: spotting the USB/Storage/computer/keys loose in the wild, immediately take a picture/video with time stamp of it in that location.

Take more pics/videos while on route to cop shop/MI5/6 showing that you're not plugging it in or whatever.

Take pics/video of handing it in (this might be tricky...).

Get banged up for taking images.... oh wait.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ENcryption

I was doing a roll out of new laptops to Federal law enforcement agency. They have software that automatically encrypts all data , even removable data such as CD-rom burners and thum drives . The software loads before windows and can only be disabled if you have the admin pass word which only IS has . So what is so hard about encrypting data ?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The usual script

"We are aware of..."

"We are currently looking into..."

Fill in as required, adding "We are/will be working with...." as and when required.

12. Thomas Hook
    Alert

Bandwagon full - please catch next one

No document that was an "essential reference for all officers" (Star article) would be "top-secret" (again, Star Article). The vast majority of bobbies have SC clearance, which means Restricted at best, with occasional, supervised Top-Secret access (which does not include everyone being given it on a USB drive!).

Come on El Reg, this article has more holes than a golf-course, apply some of your usual logic rather than just jumping on the anti-police and data-loss bandwagons.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Incorrect..

"The vast majority of bobbies have SC clearance" - no way. At most they will have "BC" which means they don't have any unpaid parking tickets outstanding. SC gives access to TS, and you wouldn't want the average plod near that - as the losing of the USB stick clearly proves..

13. Anomalous Cowturd
    Linux

It's really not that hard...

1) Encrypt ALL sensitive data. Even if every-one involved gets the same password. (True-crypt). Even a bored plod at a seminar can probably remember that. Make the password "doughnut" or "accidental death in police custody", or "tourist". You get the picture...

2) Disable USB in password protected BIOS

3) Hot Glue / super-glue shut all USB ports just to make sure. Takes, at most, 5 minutes, on an unplugged box

4) Remove or don't order CD / DVD write capable devices. A DVD reader for those who REALLY NEED them. PC Plod doesn't need external data, it's ALL on the network FFS.

5) Carry on executing electricians, ejecting pensioners, harassing photographers, etc. Ad nausea, and WE will probably never find out.

Cheques to the usual address please.

Oh, and put one of these penguins on your pooters!

In fact, WTF don't the UK.gov just fork their own branch of Red-Hat or Debian / Umbongo and sort out the whole governmental IT landscape. You know, like those "backward" Latin American electrician training types seem to have managed.....

That's another £45 million consultancy in the bag! kthnxbye XXX

14. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

hmmmm

Whilst the stick may belong to GMP as stated some of the data was from the NPIA, Now, the NPIA operate restrictions on USB and CD Burning where not only is access controlled to both but data is encrypted when written. Also only 'approved' memory sticks will work so the GMP stick couldnt have been plugged directly in.

So then, end users always the weakest link in the chain. Ho Hum

15. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

I'd shove unknown USB sticks into my PC

"Firstly, what sort of bloody idiot stuffs an unknown USB stick into their OWN pc?? Keyloggers, viruses (or viri) and all manner of crap could have got onto his machine."

Well, I would. I run Ubuntu and gentoo, sensible OSes do not randomly start autorunning code just because some USB stick or CD was shoved into the machine. I certainly wouldn't run any random executables I find on there!

16. Tom 7

"Why was it copied to the drive in the first place?"

@By Design

No - it was copied through primitive document centric thinking.

Did they carry a printer around as well? If not the chance of them being able to read any of the PDF documents on a tiny screen and search for the relevant parts is about 0. And they would probably be out of data anyway.

And as we taxpayers have paid a fortune for some form of always available connectivity perhaps they ought to look into some of this ere modern technology and security stuff (I say modern it was around 20 years ago) that can not only present you with up to date files but check who has access to them)

But hey, why use the 20th century internet when we can piss all our money up on 19th office technology.

Write me a PDF in response and send me the link so I can ignore it.

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Stop

As I read the article

the branding was with the initials GMP POTU. How many people instantly associate that with the police (without first reading this piece)? I could well imagine accessing the stick in order to find out who it belonged to (on a secure Linux box). If he then found that the police was seriously bungling things, I could well imagine reporting this to the paper AND returning the stick to the police.

1. Britt Johnston
      IT Angle

GMP anecdote

An IT manager in our Pharma firm was looking on the internet for information on GMP (good manufacturing policy). He was so taken by the Manchester Police's data policy he based his own on it.

http://www.gmp.police.uk/mainsite/pages/dataprotection.htm

19. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What chance have we got?

Our company is that paranoid about losing USB sticks that the directive is that if we must take data out of the building then copy it onto a CD.

The irony is we have encrypted USB sticks.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

FoIA?

How much of this was labeled as "confidential", etc. and how much was already public domain information? Isn't a fair bit of this SUPPOSED to be public information?

Like all security through obscurity; if the process can only work because you hope no one else knows HOW it works - its doesn't really work. And all your faith to defend it is misplaced hope in a process that has already failed in the first place.

Have your procedures open and available to all - if they are good and effective, it won't matter that they are publically available, and will help a LOT with public relations in case anything does happen.

All "secret" and "cofidential" procedures offer is the ability to change your minds without attracting reprimand when you find that your procedures are, in fact, shite.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I have a funny story...

A certain VERY LARGE retailer... have an IT security policy that essentially locks down

all pc's on each of their many networks.

i.e No access to cd rom, only limited access to local h.d.d

The security policies are controlled from India, but when ever I need log files.....

Woohoo, anyone can take a USB Memory Stick from home, plug it in, and then copy the stuff I need

and email it to me, with no questions asked.

If anyone can guess the company, I'll buy you a beer.

Beer well, it's free on the Reg

22. "CURLY"
    Thumb Up

UNSECURED FLASH DRIVE

If it was on a secured flash drive , like the ironkey . They would not had to worry then .

23. D. M
    FAIL

how many people know what GMP POTU stand for?

Before I read this, I would never in a million year think it has anything to do with police.

Assume even you know, as stated already, it is only a logo.

Not to forget, You have a higher chance to find some free bit been lost at the front door of the same company. I once attended event hosted by a very very large IT company. when I left there, there were people finding those free stuffs just been handed out.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like