back to article Jobs moves to the heavens with Apple TV

With its Apple TV revamp announced Wednesday, Apple dipped its toes into the entertainment cloud — if you'll forgive a muddled metaphor. It's a tentative baby step, but expect more cloudy offerings from Cupertino if the experiment is a success. Although iTunes has allowed you to either rent or buy movies for some years now, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Annihilator
    Unhappy

Conversations of the future

"Fancy watching a film tonight darling?"

"We can't honey, the broadband's down/one of the kids is gaming online/I'm downloading an iso"

I can't wait. Think of all that space I'll be saving by not having that NAS in the corner/DVDs in the cupboard/2.5" drive in the AppleTV...

2. Liminality
    Jobs Halo

Jobs is part of the way there...

I'm going to be a fanboi and probably annoy the legions of Jobs-hating looneys that frequent these boards when I say that I think Jobs is quite correct, and disagree that his view suggests an underestimation of his customers' collective intelligence. I have somewhere in the region of 500 DVDs, currently taking up multiple 2tb drives on my windows home server. Managing that storage is something I'd really rather not worry about. What's missing however is the crutch for those of us who are a bit old fashioned and still like the visceral physicality of a DVD collection you can flick through, with the added convenience of easy accessibility on the go.

My ideal model? (and one that we're years away from if it's even feasible given licensing and Apple's need to take a cut) Buying a physical DVD would also grant you a portable license redeemable in your streaming service of choice (iTunes, Hulu, netflix or whatever) allowing you to either rip your DVD for home usage if that's your preference, view it directly from the DVD or stream it (hell, even put a 5 stream limit on it if you like) if you're out and about, on the bus, in the gym etc. We'd need 4g mobile broadband for that to be workable, but that would really give the customer all the options they need to view the content they've paid for...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing the point

I think Arstechnica said it best:

"What I want, and what I believe the market needs, is a way to simplify the byzantine world of TV and home video. You can't do this by pretending that the rat's nest of cables, contracts, and TV-connected devices in all our lives doesn't exist. Apple's job is to tame this mess, not ignore it."

The job of an apple TV device thingie should be to seamlessly integrate everything in one central location and do so in a way that everyone can use, not limit what you can do for the sake of simplification. Sure it's simple enough to use but that's because there's not much there.

I mean really, a box with an hdmi out that can only play music off itunes? What are 'people' supposed to do with all their existing non-itunes content? Their cable/satellite feeds? Just use iTunes, not that big of deal?

I think 'people' don't need yet another device for your living room that only does a few things, we already have a bunch of those.

Some kind of simplification of an openfiler kind of approach, where you can hot plug drives in there seamlessly while being able to do decoding of 1080p (with potential for higher res..) and also being able to control all the other boxes in the living room so you can record off cable/net/freeview/satellite/whatever. Which is what techies have been doing for ages with various degrees of success. Simple, it is not, however.

4. Chris Eaton
    Alert

Hope this raises a smile

Well I think it's funny because my housemate paid 220quid recently for Apple TV - I would rate it as "OK" but everyone nowadays uses XBox/PS3 for streaming AVI - the nightmare I have had converting my downloads to itunes is beyond description - not an attractive user/apple-friendly process at all,so I would guess this played a part in the rental model also.

Also -would be nice if it is for music-streaming ,but am a big spotify fan anyway-

5. Penti

Well

It saves Apple 30-60 dollars per unit, so of course they won't do storage on streaming hardware like this, it doesn't even have a SATA-controller to begin with, it takes up time, energy and space. And of course money. Why would you need it when the competitors don't? They just follow the same track here. It's simply not an HTPC with storage, because that track is too expensive. Add in TV-tuners, recording etc and it's up to 400-800 dollar. Have one that's kinda a HTPC and people will complain or ignore it because it isn't a full featured HTPC. While this one they have no problem with, it's cheap and easy to tuck away.

However it's worthless outside of the US. As we don't need more media extenders with format limitations here and usually has no decent access to streaming services. But so is every other streaming services (with boxes) like Amazon VOD and the included capability to use Netflix. The world of immaterial rights is awful.

6. jai

not just rentals

i think the point is that the disks in the old apple tv got full up very quickly. my iTunes music folder sits of a 4gb raid - i don't want to sync a tv show or a movie over wifi to my apple tv to watch, i just want to stream it directly from my imac to my tv

and the new apple tv is perfect for that, and priced reasonably too

personally i think they've done a very good job of identifying what was wrong with the first version and trimming it down to just what is needed and i can't wait for my pre-order to arrive in a couple of weeks time

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: not just rentals

I'm broadly with you here, but I don't want to have to keep my computer on just to be able to watch a movie or listen to music.

That's why I like my old Apple TV box - it's all there ready to go (well, the music), movies I have to be more frugal with, though the 320GB drive I put in helps.

The new Apple TV needs to be able to stream from my network storage so my laptop can stay shutdown.

2. Mark 65

Re:Not just rentals

"i don't want to sync a tv show or a movie over wifi to my apple tv to watch, i just want to stream it directly from my imac to my tv

and the new apple tv is perfect for that, and priced reasonably too"

And when TVs have DLNA compliance cut out the shitty extra box under the screen.

7. Matthew 17

Not an upgrade

the new small form factor and the aluminium remote are quite cool but with the lack of on-board storage means that installing something like XBMC will require an external drive, arguably a little clumsy, even if it's possible.

given that the menu system looks to be the same as before I'd say that the new ATV is still based upon OSX 10.4 rather than iOS so all the old hacks should still work.

The rental only works fine for me as most films I'll only watch the once and the BD is getting ever more ridiculous with the amount of crap you have to go through before your film comes on (warnings, downloaded updates, downloaded menus, trailers, 'you wouldn't download a car' warnings, more warnings, promos telling you how great BD's are all unskipable and on top of the fantastically slow speed of the players makes it all a bit rubbish). Would still prefer physical media for any purchases though but for a rental a download is fine just as long as I don't have to wait for it to start, with the current ATV it's about 4 hours from hitting the buy button before the film is available, almost as long as it takes my BD player to power up.

Note the US site has TV shows for rental but the UK one doesn't, no doubt some bullshit license problem so I'll stick with BitTorrent for those for now.

8. Bill Gould
    FAIL

You still suck, Apple

If I pay for something I WANT that something. I don't want to pay (guessing) $1.99 for a movie rental every time I want to watch it. After a couple of views I should have just bought it. Digital delivery is a good thing. Digital delivery followed by digital take-backs is not.

How does this work for TV anyway? Do I rent by the episode? By the season? Ten eps for a fiver?

Damn! Internet's down. Guess I'll watch some TV or movies... oh wait.. shit.

9. Hans 1
    Boffin

kids films are to be owned

My kids are the only ones who watch a film a second time ... heck., they watch them 10's of times - that is why I buy them on dvd's, as for the rest, I rent. I do not watch broadcast tv ... I read books instead and no, I am not getting an iPad. I have used one extensively, but I cannot imagine reading books on one ...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like