back to article Nandos 'village bike' ad not sexist, rules ASA

Referring to the village bike or asking to borrow a friend's girlfriend is not sexist, offensive or derogatory to women, the ASA has ruled, as long as it is done in a comical Portuguese accent. The Advertising Standards Authority made the ruling in response to a series of complaints about adverts for Nandos, the periperi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But... but...

... Nando's isn't Portuguese. It's South African.

Couldn't they have had an ad featuring a square-jawed, ginger-haired rrrugby player with his balls out?

Nah? Wot's so offinsive abat thet?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Title

All this and it's not even close to Friday. My condolences, Sarah.

3. Geoff Kennedy
    Grenade

5 complaints in Total?

This means, of course, that 5 billion people were offended.

Oh, the humanity!

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

To get the ASA really busy...

I passed an establishment in the USA which proudly proclaimed

"Liquor in the Front

Poker in the Rear"

but the only game I saw was Craps!

5. Gianni Straniero
    Paris Hilton

Nandos

I thought the ad was in mildly poor taste, not because of any supposed sexism, but because it implies that anyone with an amusing Mediterranean accent is some kind of moustachioed lothario who does little else but grope women, or daydream about doing so. Same with that "Juan Sheet" bullshit advert for kitchen paper. But hey, it's probably just me, and I didn't run screaming to the ASA...

P.S. I love the "some of my best friends are women" comments in here. You're all so full of shit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well

I complained to the ASA about that horrendous and blatantly sexist advert for "Oven Pride" brand oven cleaner - their tagline being 'So easy a man could do it!' which I found extremely offensive. I didn't even get a proper response from them. How long will this insult to men continue unabated? It's sickening.

1. Gianni Straniero
      Troll

Re: Well

The Oven Pride controversy is by no means an isolated phenomenon. A huge number of TV adverts in the UK have the recurring stereotype of "idiot Dad", who fucks up the DIY, knocks over the telly, or puts red knickers in the wash with the whites. Cue pubescent daughter rolling her eyes skyward, and Mum shaking her head ruefully, yet indulgently. "Silly old Dad," they think.

Today, the 40-something white middle class male is the only demographic you can get away with belittling on TV. I feel for them, I really do, because as a group, 40-something white middle class men are among the least privileged members of our society.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.