back to article OED goes the way of all flesh paper

The Oxford University Press is apparently planning to can the full-fat Oxford English Dictionary - the 20-volume, 22,000-page linguistic epic which weighs in at 150lb. Yes indeed, it's black armbands all round down at the Daily Mail, which reckons that the next edition - OED3 - will only be available online. Currently, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All this...

All this discussion and argument over what is clearly a silly season story invented by the mail.

2. Ashley Stevens

21 years?

It should be continuously updated online. How many new words have there been in the last 21 years they've been working on this? How do they expect to ever finish? It's a pointless exercise that can never finish, only be continuously updated online.

It's not a sad day, perhaps it's the beginning of the realization that this is an on-going project, not something that will ever get 'finished'.

3. M Gale

Only schools, libraries and serious bookworms buy the full OED anyway.

And I imagine they'll continue to do so, what with being schools, libraries and serious bookworms. I can't see the print edition disappearing any time soon.

4. Thomas Allen
    Paris Hilton

Prices lower in the west and south

The Compact 2 Volume edition with case is less that $50 on ebay (used), several are $75, several more for $150, all on Buy It Now. At that price, I wouldn't use it for toilet paper, but it is pretty cheap. The shipping is what'll getcha!

Paris is looking up 'fugitive'...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.