back to article Mozilla Thunderturkey and its malcontents

The dire state of email clients today is an ongoing gripe of mine - and when I get three dozen emails on Sunday, it's clearly a source of frustration for Reg readers, too. It merits a bumper mailbag. For earlier installments, see here and here. Thunderbird 3.x is the focus for this ire. Not all readers are unhappy with it. For …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Martin Usher
    Unhappy

The problem is the methodology....

I usually associate bloat with object oriented programming techniques. There's nothing wrong with these techniques, of course, except that a surprising number of programmers haven't a clue how to design with objects ("like giving a chainsaw to a three-year old to play with...."). The result's invariably a mess because the bottom-up design that these techniques encourage end up with programmers lacking a clue what their software's doing.

(I do real time. My stuff has to work and I have to know at all times what my processor's doing, you can't just fire and forget or you'll end up with a car going out of control or something. We need more of this discipline in the apps world -- put the programmers on a diet, reduce their memory and processor size.....)

2. D. Suse
    Thumb Up

Evolution

Evolution (the stock email client of Ubuntu) works well on both Linux and Windows. I have an Asus netbook (1001PX), and this runs Evolution very well on both Win7 and Ubuntu (faster on Ubuntu, as would be expected). Also has calendaring and MS Exchange support.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thunderbird gripe

My only gripe, and maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, is that the MAPI isn't compliant with the god awful accounting software we use at work (Peachtree) and one of my cow workers insists that if it isn't Microsoft it isn't any good.

Of course she couldn't understand why I didn't do InDesign work in Microsoft Office so she could read and modify it since it would be "much easier" if it was in MS format. She also intimated that the reason my emails weren't reaching a vendor was because I "didn't use Microsoft".

Anybody out there need a female pointy haired boss? I'll pay shipping...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

outlook express

I may be a retard but I actually found Outlook Express quite ok - I could have multiple POP3 accounts and it did all I needed

Now I have a Vista machine at home and a W7 pc for work and Outlook Express no longer exists.

Windows Mail for Vista is just Outlook Express so it's ok (though early versions were buggy)

But Windows Mail for W7 (or whatever the correct name is) is vile and repugnant

It's a disaster for multiple accounts

So on the W7 machine I have been forcing myself to use TB since January

And I really dont like it

The IMAP default and subsequent struggle to reset an account to POP3 is ludicrous

The password update feature is ludicrous

(or I should say the lack of an obvious password update feature ...)

It has not gone through any usability testing

I hate the search results filtering

I hate the fact you have to set each folder view defaults separately - so I can't say "make all folder views the same" and hide some of those meaningless categories

...and yes it's also not instantly easy for multiple accounts

ok Outlook Express email retrieval from the depths of the system folder is a pita but I only needed that once in a few years

hmmph, what to do eh?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like