Feeds

back to article Are plasma TVs killing radio?

The Radio Society of Great Britain is asking anyone with a plasma TV to let it know if they‘ve had trouble getting Radio 4 lately. The Radio Society of Great Britain represents the radio ham community, though it sees itself as having a wider remit. When not organising competitions to see who has the biggest beard can transmit a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Geeks laugh at Beardies

I know it is the silly season, but how does that twaddle even pretend to be news?

The only things harming domestic radio are foreign continuity announcers (Radio 4) and the need for subtitles in English (Radio 5). Even China Radio has better quality English speakers in its relays from Radio Luxembourg...... once the home of Dan Dare and the Top Twenty........ blimey, is nothing sacred?

Foreign continuity announcers...?

I can only think of one with a non-uk accent and I've never had a problem understanding him.

Besides, they have Charlotte Green, so they can be forgiven a lot...

Charlotte Green

I've never seen Charlotte Green, but she sounds gorgeous.

FAIL

She's not the prettiest of women it has to be said

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/mar/28/bbc.radio

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

A quick look at Wikipedia reveals much....

.... and then there's the whole piece referred to here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/mar/03/tvandradio

There are links to photos too, if that's your bag.....

Eh?

Are you talking about the guy with the rich, chocolatey voice? He reminds me of Barbados Slim, but I don't have any problem with understanding him at all, in fact I quite like him.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Eh?

Me too

Thumb Up

Niel Nunes?

Initially criticised for his accent but retained after recieving praise from feedback repondants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/people/presenters/neil-nunes/

Charlotte Green

I'm a big fan of Charlotte, especially when she corpses on air. This is brilliant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBWsy5A2bA

Thumb Up

Hitachi 42PD7200...

... an old but good Plasma, which doesn't meddle with HF radio at all :)

Coat

Not got my beard yet

But then I guess that is due to me only having an Intermediate HAM licence. Perhaps I should grow a goatee.

Boffin

Technical detail

"When not organising competitions to see who ... can transmit a 10MHz signal furthest"

Actually, the 10MHz band is the one HF band we *don't* have contests on, by international agreement. All the others, yes.

/pedantry

My Plasma trouble fixed by Pansonic

In Jan 2004 my neighbour got a new toy- a Panasonic Plasma TV.

All radio from radio 4 198 khz to shortwave 30 Mhz was blotted out, not FM radio 4 (95 Mhz) as some have incorrectly concluded.Tests proved it could be heard 400m away!

To cut a very long story short 11 months later Pansonic engineer arrived from their UK HQ with a replacement screen which completely cured the problem.

Panasonic took measurements before and after so they including their Japanese HQ know of the

problem and how to cure it.

I have since found out that some Toshiba sets which used the same screen gave similar problems.

My cooperative neighbour was rewarded with a considerably brighter picture !

Panasonic engineer admitted that he had dealt with several other cases.

Please note that I have no objection to the majority of Plasmas including most Panasonics which do

not cause inteference,everyone has a right to interference free reception whatever someone elses view of Radio 4 or any other station may happen to be.

Have been hearing some Plasmas are OK for about 2 years then something deteriorates so interference starts to be a problem.

Didnt involve Ofcom as they are less use than a chocolate fireguard.

Silver badge

Where did Radio 4 come from?

I tried searching and kept getting the same canned statement about "We only need to know the number of interference cases, no details, and no names/addresses." (which surely statistically means bugger all as there's not much way to tell if these cases are even genuine).

There is a reason to ask this - Radio4 is on LW. My mother listens to it and pretty much *everything* from my CRT to the local farmer's milking machine > 1/2 mile away interferes with it. Then there's FM R4 which is supposed to be more resiliant as FM was devised to get around all the problems with AM.

Anonymous Coward

Big Problem

Who watches their TV (plasma or otherwise) and listens to radio 4 at the same time. OK so maybe you'd listen to 5 since the sports commentary is so much better on there than it is on TV.

Reception goes here with or without unseen subtitles

I would try to listen to my BBC local station on VM but whenever I try and "tune in" (press 938) I have a recorded message that says "due to licensing conditions this programme is unavailable/deleted/nuked; whatever".

I have no DAB - not that that would be any better - and I guess I should now try searching for something called a radio receiver (built one in early 70's with a piece of galena and a fucking long bit of wire).

Oh, those days in the 60's/70's hidden under the blankets with a non-rechargeable battery torch and a copy of "The Famous Five Go Diving" (hmmmmm, I wonder..........)

Happy

Rich, chocolatey Radio 4...

That would be Jamaican, Neil Nunes. 3rd best voice on Radio 4 after the sainted Charlottle, and the soothing Kathy Clugston.

Another beardie...

..voting for R4 over anything on telly...

I gave up on the plasma when it started interfering with my hammer drill.

Beards - oh no!

Been wearing a beard for a couple of months now and this is the first time I have heard of the Amateur Radio connection. Scary!

M0NjP - R4 fan. Biker. Unix sysadmin. I guess the beard goes with all these! No hope for me.

Alert

Beards

I keep my FT-817 hidden in mine but my XYL keeps an FT2000D and DMU in her ladygarden :)

And I'm working on getting fldigi (a digital radio comms package) running under Linux..,.

Silver badge
Grenade

If you think plasma TVs are bad........

Then you've never measured the RF splatter from a compact flourescent bulb.

Right up past 400MHz (lightswitch remote controls, garage door operners, etc)

Why can't the beardies chase something which is a _real_ nuisance?

(Disclosure - I used to be a "ham" and in a previous professional life operated stacks of 20kW PEP shortwave transmitters which were already museum pieces back then)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.