Feeds

back to article Microsoft digs Macs in back-to-school ads

Microsoft has dusted off some hoary anti-Apple chestnuts in a new "Macs-suck-we-don't" web-based ad effort. It must be back-to-school computer-buying time — and Microsoft's marketeers aren't going to let the Mac's sales surge continue without a fight. Redmond floats a few reasons why a Windows PC is superior to a Mac on its new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coffee/keyboard

Um..

>>To be fair tho, having being spoiled by mice with scroll wheels, I now find the lack of it irritating. And scroll wheel support on a Mac is a hit-and-miss affair. Logitech USB mice with scroll wheels work (after a driver install), but not the PS2 one going through a Belkin F1D080 PC-to-Mac KVM converter.<<

Um.. I dunno if you missed the memo dude, but PS2? Dead as a doornail.. for some years now. Didn't the fact that you don't have a PS2 port clue you in at all?

it's 2010

And I still use the Logitech Trackman Marble FX I bought 2001, best Trackball ever made!

On a Mac with a PS/2 to USB converter :)

Silver badge
FAIL

I'm just guessing here....

....but I suspect that you shouldn't rely upon TV or films for gathering facts about the real world. Just a thought.

GJC

Go

oh boy this is gonna go *boom*

Making my comment and skedaddling!

Personally, I find Mac mice infuriating. My boss runs Win 7 on Mac hardware, and every time I try and do something on his computer, the mouse drives me to distraction. No doubt, in the minds of Mactards, that makes me "too stupid to use a computer", as I've been told before on the Reg for daring to say I prefer a PC, but never mind.

The rest of the list sounds a little too much like a unpopular little boy desperately trying to get the rest of his class to come to his birthday party rather than that of the cool (but widely considered arrogant and annoying) rich kid who's gonna have Glee (insert other inexplicably popular "band" du jour if you prefer) present.

Time to skedaddle...!

Silver badge

Sorry, probably being dense

I actually don't understand what point Microsoft are trying to make about the mouse. What's the problem with the mouse? You move it, the mouse moves. You press on the left, you do the primary action. You press on the right, you do the contextual action. If you swipe up or down (or left or right), you scroll. How is that a mouse operating differently?

I'm posting as a reply in case your complaint is about operation. But I suspect it may just be that the current Apple mouse is rather flat and unusually shaped?

Silver badge

MS making the case for standards !!!

''If you use Apple's productivity suite, sharing files with PC users can be tricky''

So you want standard file formats. Errrm, but it is MS that works hard to keep the files that it generates in an obscure format - changed every few years just for good measure (and force people to buy the latest version of their s/ware).

''Macs don't work as well at work or at school''

Well in that case, MS: for the good of your customers you ought to work to ensure that things can integrate - by the use of published standards. You don't want to? Is this because you want to make it hard for other operating systems to work with MS ones ? Why would that be ? Preserve your market share ?

''Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC.''

I agree -- this is why I find MS machines hard to use, I am used to Linux. A few years ago MS was saying that use of its machines was inherently easier, now it is saying that people just find them easier because they have been taught them at school -- sounds like a good argument for schools teaching kids to use many different sorts of machine. Mind you, being asked to do this this would give most teachers a panic attack.

BTW: my PC runs Linux. A ''PC'' is not just something that runs MS s/ware.

Joke

How about...

How about buying a Mac, but also buying a Microsoft Mouse! (That one made in the Chinese sweatshop that used under-age workers!)

Taboo I know, mixing the the Jobs and the M$! It's a bit like those brought-up council houses with the stone cladding and mock Tudor beams isn't it!

Strangley..

my only Microsoft usb mouse didn't work too well on my mac, or unbuntu, or for that matter XP, however my other el cheapo mice work on all three, as does my Apple mouse.

Linux

Well if that's not embarassing to read

See, I detest Apple's philosophy as a company (centralised control, dictatorial attitude to the users, massed ranks of people praising the Great Leader ... all basic Communist-party stuff) but I have no problem admitting that Macs are pretty damn good. I wish I had the chance to use them more. And few people are going to stand up and say "Hey, aren't Microsoft great?"

Thing is, those adverts are just plain weak. I quite like PCs but all of those arguments just make me cringe and want to install something else .... most likely Ubuntu, though!

WTF?

Where is Gaming?

WTF is gaming not mentioned? MS is weird. Its the PC "killer app" yet MS seems ignorant of it. They should be guarding this ace, not ignoring it. If Mac or Linux ever became serious gaming platforms then MS would lose a generation faster then you can say "starcraft II".

Starcraft II

Starcraft II runs great on my Macbook Pro - natively - no windows involved

Valve

Valve's Source games are heading that way too. Still in the minority though.

Gates Halo

pot calling the kettle

>>Mac doesn't let you choose? Try walking into a computer shop and try to buy a pc *without* >>Windows. See if Microsoft lets you choose that.

----

At least you can buy a PC without windows, I never seen a Macbook avaliable without OSX.

FAIL

@RefriedNoodle

to quote: Use Windows for a PVR? I thought they DRM'd most of it to the point where it can't do the things most people want.

----

Windows Media Centre works wonderfully out of the box with no DRM on the programs i record off TV...So like most Apple users 'you thought differently, ie: didn't find out the facts before posting Wrong

Windows would have been better off with these points.

Blue Ray - Ofc

Mouse - yes thats a stupid problem.

Price? - Thinking £2500 on a mac pro? why not build a PC yaself which ya cant do with mac OS? for £2500 you can get a rig that will wipe the spots off a mac pro....

Program Compatability? - their are alot more programs that run on windows...

the fact that Apple lie. (well so do microsoft but not to the same extent.) what i mean by this is that i have already seen somone post on this thread that you have to run AV on windows. YOU ALSO HAVE TO RUN AV ON MAC... you sir are stupid if you think macs are impervius to viruses just cos apple say so...

Lack of domain controlls?

Anonymous Coward

Sharing on a Mac

"you have to manually set up photo sharing, manually set up music and movie sharing, manually set up file sharing, and manually set up printer sharing"

Surely that's a good thing. Especially given how many users never bother to change their default settings on either their router or their computer.

Anonymous Coward

PCs running Windows 7 also come with a learning curve

for everyone who's used to XP. Which is, erm, everyone.

FAIL

Hahahaha, here's a good one

"Apple's productivity suite file formats won't open in Microsoft Office on PCs"

And who's fault is that then?????????

My native .ODT files can't be opened by MS Office here, is that my fault too?

Anonymous Coward

So, Office for Mac is not as good as Office for Windows

And whose fault would that be?

Bronze badge

Mac's don't share my files automatically?!

I have to manually tell a Mac when I want to share my files? ZOMG! That's rubbish! I must buy a PC because that will apparently share my files automatically! After all, what could possible go wrong with automatically sharing files?!

WTF?

when I'm in charge of the world

Companies will be banned from mentioning or inferring their competitors products. Advertise the positives of your own product or don't advertise at all. This style of ad just makes me believe that even the advertiser can't say anything good about the thing they're trying to sell.

And this isn't a mac v pc comment, I have and like both.

Anonymous Coward

King of the world

Hey - buggeroff - I'm going to be king of the world.

Who said you could be?

:)

*sigh*

Oh dear, both companies come across as squabbling four year olds. Im sure im not the only one that wants to prise them apart make them sit in opposite corners and think about their marketing strategies.

Sure take shots at each other if they want but please do it in a way that doesnt make me cringe. Let someone other than the work experience chap have a crack at it.

As for gaming on windows... its impossible to get a good strategy game on a console, they've tried sure... but they always manage to turn an otherwise good game into a horrible mutant slime creature gurgling "love me" and clawing at you with horrible little hands until it's malformed internal organs fail it and it dies in a pool of its own juices.

Silver badge

Grab the argument

But by arguing between themselves as to which is better (Mac or MS PC) they convince everyone that the choice is one of their two offerings. What they are both scared shitless of is something else coming in (eg Linux) and eating their market.

Far better to have pointless ads that just try to brainwash people that it is one or the other.

Stop

The day I buy a Mac.....

.......will be the day when I've lost all my dignity and get a manbag and leather flatcap to go with it.

The day

...you become a stereotype.

Gates Horns

Just watch DVD's

No big deal.

hur hur.

in all seriousness thats a crock of shit, and thats coming from a PC user. Mac's not avalible in luminous pink? OH NOES!

Jobs Horns

My tuppence worth...

Having used a Mac for the last 3 months, I have to say the GUI is positively infantile. I'll seen Apple's computers described as "it just works", I presume this means "it barely works". The best analogy between PCs and Macs would be: PCs are like a car; they require knowledge to be able to use them and come with a number of gears and pedals. Macs are like dodgems- Ideal for people who don't want to spend the time learning how to drive- There's a steering wheel and a single pedal and that's it. However, you'd only use one of these to drive on the motorway.

And as for Macs not crashing- I've had Safari regularly crash on me with its "Spinning Rainbow of Death"

er

what the fuck are you talking about?? Dodgems? Drive on the motorway?? Are you on the right website?

Stop

RE: My tuppence worth

You're right. Windows is like a car. One with no steering - it crashes all the time. It also leaves its keys in the ignition automatically and winds the windows down for burglars...

Flame

Infantile?

So the search dog in XP was for adults? If your assertion that OS X is indeed infantile, then why the fuck are Microsoft doing their damnedest to continually emulate it?

Silver badge

All over again

It's the GM Vs MS joke again, run for cover.

I always preferred BMW's slight on microsoft : "Our Hardware runs better without windows"

No

And as for Macs not crashing- I've had Safari regularly crash on me with its "Spinning Rainbow of Death"

Thats Safari crashing, not the Mac.

A crash is a BSOD, or a reboot

Ignoring the silliness of this marketing...

...why the hell did Apple stop making different colourways for their larger devices? Whether or not the more technically astute might laugh at the notion of colour choice being an important factor, it was a truly revolutionary idea and in fact a major selling point at the time. A sizable chunk of the population - at least if my other half is anything to go by - still miss that choice.

Grenade

i'm a mac user but...

they do have a point.....apple should leave the imac as a multi coloured delight and not adding blu-ray is a prime example of apple's arrogance - we don't want to download movies from itunes apple! reminds me of when apple 'missed the boat' about cd burning many years ago.

oh and chessytheclown - you have to reboot osx all the time? you're doing something way wrong sunshine, learn a little about the os before blaming it for your errors...

Linux

oh Microsoft

"On a Mac, you have to manually set up photo sharing, manually set up music and movie sharing, manually set up file sharing, and manually set up printer sharing"

Manually as in press some buttons? Isn't that just like Windows then? Or does Windows 7 automatically share all your files? In which case I'd rather not use it.

"PCs running Windows 7 look and work more like the computers you're familiar with"

Hold up, what? If that was a selling point - why did you make massive sweeping changes to the interface?

"If you use Apple's productivity suite, sharing files with PC users can be tricky"

And who's fault is that, Microsoft?

The points relating to hardware are valid, in that OS X generally doesn't run on anything other than Macs. But the implication that a huge choice of hardware is only available to Windows users is wrong. Though I suppose that if you get your tech advice primarily from adverts, you probably don't know anything about open source.

meeces

to all the people who complain "the mouse works differently" on a mac - it doesn't. it works in exactly the same way, right click to get into file settings, scrollwheel etc - you just have to change the mouse setting from default and set it up how you want it. that's the one thing that annoys me about the mac vs pc debate - "oooh, macs work differently" - they work however you want them to work! if you want to set it up to run like windows with files and folders etc, then that's fine, if you want to leave things alone and go with the default settings, then that's also fine.

macs and pcs are the same fucking things anyway - only difference is the OS. there IS no mc/pc debate, there is only an OSX vs Windows debate.

personally i prefer OSX, but if you prefer Windows, then go ahead and install it!

what's the problem here? move along....

WTF?

Praise through faint condemnation?

That bad points about a mac are so weak, that I wonder if that is the best they can do? If so, maybe I should look at buying a mac from that customer-hating company, Apple.

Wouldn't work anywhere else

If you consider buying a BMW instead of an Audi, you'll find the BMW might spoil your fun.

For example, you'll find that some of the seat colours available in your Audi just aren't available on any BMW.

You'll also find that it's more inconvenient to service because your current Audi dealer doesn't support BMWs.

Also, you'll find that all spare parts designed for Audis simply won't fit it a BMW.

Some of the controls you're used to just don't work in the same way either - for instance, the button second to the left from the main control panel operates the rear heated window, and not the air recirculation that you're used to.

BMWs just aren't very good at multimedia - if you bought the Audi DVD player you'll find it no longer works in a BMW.

You might find the steering wheel works differently in a BMW than in your Audi*.

*I don't understand this one either.

eh

what's with all these automotive analogies? it's not Top Gear you know...

Anonymous Coward

Why not?

It didn't need to be automotive, there's all sorts of things for which the analogy works.

How about cameras? Different lens fittings, different flash integration, different batteries, different user interfaces, etc. etc.

Of course BMWs do run Windows...

Joke

Maybe they should just do a Daily mail

"Macs give you cancer".

After all, look how well it worked on Linux.

FAIL

In India...

...a macbook pro costs INR 80,000+ and the macbook Air over INR 120,000; similar hardware (to the macbook pro) Win machines start from INR 40,000 onwards.

Given that the budget will probably be the most important criteron to most students, it is another example of MS FAIL when they do not highlight this.

I'm guessing this line of advertising is soon going to join the "new busy", "Seinfeld shoe store", "pr0n browsing mode" ads in the "dustbin of history" (paraphrased).

Thumb Up

I have to admit...

That this weekend I migrated my MBP to Ubuntu. It's a real shame because it was good while it lasted but OS X just doesn't cut it any more - it's doing the "I'm 6 months old so I'm laggy and slow" trick that Windows usually does.

Superb to rediscover the speed of my hardware though - it's brilliant hardware and Ubuntu works better, much better than OS X ever did on it.

Anonymous Coward

But..

... how do you know that Ubuntu won't be "laggy and slow" after six months?

I'm a Kubuntu user myself and love it to bits, but I'm yet to find an OS that doesn't get slower without occasional care and attention.

Thumb Up

Wow

For once Microsoft is actually telling the truth. However they also forgot More bang for your buck "With a pc you pay less for moar"

Anonymous Coward

Telling the truth?

wow. Tell me when it happens.

Mouse works differently. Sp the MS mouse moves the screen around a fixed point, except when it's plugged into a mac it moves a pointer around the screen screen?

MS really is clutching at straws.

Happy

What about?

How about their amazing web 2.0 balls up. That is the most exciting part of the page.

That strange twitter feed is almost certainly fake. I tried pulling down some pages and many of the usernames didn't exist.

Harnessing the social media balloon doesn't work if customers hate you, so just fake it!

Anonymous Coward

Surely not allowed?

"Macs don't work as well at school or at work"

and

"Macs don't like to share"

Surely these statements are on dangerous ground from a legal perspective?

Here we go again . . .

All OS's have their good points and their bad points, your choice is more about which one you can live with than anything else and which one does what you want it to do.

The reality is, all OS's have so many configuration settings that you really do need to be "expert" (for want of a better word) to get the most from it and, above all, to configure it right (and by right I mean so that it doesn't get slower as time goes on and retains a sizable proportion of it's original speed and usability).

I would consider myself at the "expert" level with Windows, I build my own (and other peoples) systems. My current Vista 64-bit system was built in November 2007, has never been reformatted and still runs faster than some new build Windows 7 machines of friends on better hardware. Yet i'm apparently on the crappy OS. The same machine runs 24/7, cant remember the last time I rebooted and I don't ever remember a BSOD since it was built.

When it comes to Linux, I can make it work, but i'm a long way from knowing how to set it up right, most of my time will be spent on Google working out what I need to tweak. This is not a slight on Linux, it's just that I don't know the OS well enough to do it justice.

Finally, OS X, I know almost nothing about, beyond a minor level of usability. Wouldn't have the first clue about how to set it up for the way I need it to work. So I don't use it and have no interest in paying the premium required to join the club.

Adverts like the one run by MS do nothing to gain support.

This topic is closed for new posts.