back to article Hot babes discriminated against by some employers

Researcher in the States have found that being a beautiful woman, while in general good news, is a disadvantage when trying to get certain types of jobs. “In two studies, we found that attractiveness is beneficial for men and women applying for most jobs, in terms of ratings of employment suitability,” according to Colorado …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@50-50 split

For most IT depts I'd settle for 50% human

2. Hollerith 1

Sarah, be strong...

Coming in at the bottom of a lot of posts, I think that, on the whole, these in August 2010 are a lot less wearisome than those that would have been made in 1980, had the chaps been able to do so then.

I recently hired a woman younger than me and prettier than me. She is having a tough time with some of the older men, who won't take her seriously, but fortunately she is ferociously focused and, let's face it, will out-live them. I did hesitate, for her sake, about hiring her and then thought God-damn it, this is ridiculous! She's contended with being the belle of the ball all her life, and yet she is a brilliant technician and deserved to be treated as 'normal'. What's nice is, as opposed to the male gods I've had the dubious pleasure to work with, she doesn't even realise that heads swivel as she walks by.

So yay the younger generation, if she is the standard issue.

3. skeptical i

Did "highly attractive" include "wore makeup and nailpolish"?

I ask because when I was in high school and interviewed for a job pumping gas at a local service station, I was told I was WAAAAAAAY overdressed (I think I was wearing dress trousers and a polo shirt) for what the job entailed. Of course, I knew that pumping gas (and changing oil and all that) was/ is grubby work, but I had the dumb idea that I should at least interview reasonably clean. So, is it possible that some of the made up lasses were thought to be ignorant of what some jobs entail and were thus dropped from consideration ("You clearly have no idea what [insert job here] is about else you'd not have wasted time with the paint and lacquer")?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Not quite

Trick cyclist!=psychologist, rather it is 'psychiatrist'. Psychiatrists are medically qualified doctors who prescribe psychotropic medication, head multidisciplinary teams in psychiatry, and sometimes practise therapies. Psychologists use human interventions, in a variety of settings,for a variety of reasons. For example, a sports psychologist may teach a player how to prevent annoying distractions from ruining their performance. Behavioural psychologists working in a clinical setting may use behavioural methods to treat phobias - teach the patient how to hold the phobic object - while occupational psychologists assess people for their ability to work in an organisation.

HTH.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.