back to article 'Death to browsers!' cries Apple mobile-app patent

A trio of Apple filings seek to patent mobile-application "systems and methods" for travel and online shopping — and to move us three steps closer to a Google-free world. Taken together, the three filings point not only to the browserless future that Apple is seeking for its iOS devices, but also — if granted by the much- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Gulfie
    FAIL

So let me get this straight...

Apple want to patent the concept of giving people a rich user experience outside of a browser but delivered across a network. Kind of like Adobe Air for a mobile platform, then?

Or pretty much a direct competitor to Adobe Air, seeing as the aims are identical and the technology differing only in that it is two different ways of achieving the same thing. This is pretty much the very thing they have been blocking from appearing on their mobile devices so their security and performance will have to be up to scratch or they will get roasted. So, are these things just very big iAds then?

This is going to be so much fun to watch. I must find me a biiiiig bucket of popcorn. Oh, BTW, anyone got any doubts still about Apple's intentions in the area of, I was going to say Internet domination, but many people won't think of it as the internet because they won't interact with a browser in this model. They'll do what Apple let them do.

We can only hope that this clearly closed and tightly controlled approach to marketing (for that is all that it is) is an utter fail.

2. tom 24
    FAIL

Wailing and gnashing of teeth

Allow me to add my voice to the resounding chorus: "Why oh why is this patentable?"

Not very helpful, I know, but what else is there to be but moan and wail?

3. Gil Grissum
    Jobs Horns

Use your iPhone to control what on a plane?

You think after 911, the government is going to allow anyone to control anything on commercial airline with an iPhone? Not to be a tad pessimistic, but don't you think iPhone carrying terrorists could have a field day with this sort of thing? It's never going to happen. Apple must be getting desperate. It's bad enough that their iPhone in America is limited to one hobbled carrier (AT&T) thereby guarantying that Android use outgrows it (all other carriers in the US sell Android). It's another thing entirely to attempt to patent functions that have prior art in use within a web browser. Someone at the patent office must be awake, hopefully?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like