back to article Czechs toast Bud-beating beer win

Beer drinkers in the Czech Republic, and that's most of country, will be raising a glass today to celebrate a local victory against Anheuser-Busch, the maker of US "beer" Budweiser. The problem was that one of the Czech Republic's most famous beers, and biggest exports after Škodas and Semtex, is called Budweiser Budvar. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Joe User
    Thumb Down

Local nickname for U.S. Budweiser

We didn't call it "Butt Wiper" for nothing....

2. JB
    Thumb Up

Reason Prevails!

Could you imagine a Czech company marching into an American company waving writs about saying "that name belongs to us"? It seems to be a one-way street. Glad sense prevailed, though, and the best beer won!

As for American beer, the big names have done a great job of giving it a bad name. Scratch the surface and there are some fantastic brews about Stateside. The Sierra Nevada beers are great, especially the aptly-named Torpedo (7.2%!). I once tried a Bud, just to give it a chance, but it really was just yellow water - even the dog wouldn't touch it and preferred to drink out of the swimming pool! Still miss my Wadworths 6X and Bishop's Finger, though. :(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

You can edit your details. Not you? Then log in here.

Shouldn't the win be against InBev?

4. kain preacher

budweiser

Is what you drink when you are drunk or dying of thirst..

5. Captain Thyratron

It's all about standards.

The trouble with American beer is one of standards. A lot of very good beers here do exist, but you have to go out of your way to find them, and to mention them in the wrong company may earn you the reputation of a snob. If all you've ever encountered have been things like Coors or Budweiser, you might start thinking like an American, by which I mean you might hold the following peculiar and erroneous beliefs:

* Beer should be drunk while it is cold, because beer is never good at room temperature. More specifically, it should be cold enough that numbness partially obscures the flavor. The exception to this is the case that you are already drunk enough that vile flavors no longer affect you.

* You aren't supposed to like the taste of beer. Its purpose is inebriation and nothing more, unless you are some kind of snob or something. If you complain about the taste, you are a wuss and probably gay[1].

* This is normal. Obviously, our beer is good beer, because we are good at everything.

* What's with Europeans? How can they stand to drink beer that isn't cold? Why, when our beer isn't cold, it tastes like a bladder infection diluted with club soda; as per the previous erroneous belief, surely our beers compare favorably to European beers.

* It's good enough for me. Why ain't it good enough for you? You think you're better than me or something?

[1] No discussion of American beer culture (which I realize sounds kind of like "Egyptian snowboarding") is complete without at least a passing mention of homophobia.

1. Hud Dunlap
      Coat

beer at room temperature?

In Texas with out AC that would be close to a hundred in the summer. And when we have one of our heat waves even commercial buildings have trouble getting below eighty. I am not drinking a beer at room temperature.

Mines the one with the ice chest in it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rice ?

is the secret ingredient of Anheuser-Busch Budweiser.

All this is actually bad news for Budvar lovers since it was the threat of Anheuser-Busch buyout that was keeping the brewery in state ownership. The present Czech government would love to sell it to some multinational - none except Anheuser-Busch wanted it until the trademark dispute was sorted. We all know what happens when these people get hold of a beer. Many years ago Stella used to be drinkable ...

7. copsewood
    Pint

nanobrew versus manufactured beer

I do know an American who brews serious ale, because I sent him my recipe. Not that the sg 1070 (about 8% by volume alcohol) ale I brew in a 25 litre bucket before bottling it is for sale. But at that strength, you need a longer maturation in the bottle than a commercial brewery would afford. Also, top quality beer has to be naturally conditioned, but few people know how to pour it properly nowadays, and beer with yeast at the bottom of the bottle hasn't been available commercially for decades.

Apart from better beer, the other advantages of nanobrew include no tax and more energy efficient bottle reuse multiple times, as opposed to massively energy-wasteful bottle recycling.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

beer with yeast at the bottom of the bottle

It's a big seller around here, I was drinking it last night. It's called Cooper's Pale Ale. You can find it just about anywhere in Aus and I'm reliably informed that it can be found as far as Oxford (no idea where) and San Diego (somewhere near the navy base, FWIW). Try the Sparkling Ale and the Stout while your at it, but steer clear of anything that isn't an ale - it's just a marketting excercise.

One of the marvelous things about beer is that you can travel the whole world without drinking the mass produced cat's piss of the major brewers. So many beers, so little liver (or rather, such an enlarged one...)

2. TeraTelnet
      Pint

American beer with yeast at bottom?

A couple of years ago I sampled a bottle of Blue Moon beer (which I think is from the Coors brewing company, oddly) and as I recall there was sediment at the bottom of the bottle - would that have been yeast?

8. LateNightLarry
    Paris Hilton

Manufactured beer...

I generally don't bother with the horse piss product from the major American "brewers"... It's easier where I live to sample a different wine every day... and I can go something like two years without sampling the same wine twice... If I expand my search area to take in the adjoining counties, I have about four years of new wines to sample...

We do have a couple of microbreweries, and one larger brewery that took over the sake plant a couple of years ago... It's building a reputation for producing a decent brewski...

Paris, cause I'd enjoy going winery hopping with her for a couple of years... or at least a couple of weeks.

9. John Burton

I quite like it

I quite like US Budweiser. /shrug

10. Martin H Watson

Even better thab Budwar is...

...unfiltered, unpasteurised Budwar. We found it in a bar in Prague. It was incredible. The landlord even took us down into the cellar to explain it all to us.

11. mhenriday
    Pint

Švejk's favourite pub

served Velkopopovický - good enough for me !...

Henri

1. chuckc
      Pint

this is a reply

Excellent reference, and I love Velkopopovicky and Kozel.

Gratulujeme, chlape!

12. Hans 1
    Boffin

3 glasses test

1 Buweiser Budvar

2 US Budweiser

3 Light sparkling water

Drink a sip of 1, then 2, then 1 again and then 3 ... if anybody can taste a diff between 1 -> 2 and 1->3 he gets all the respect, I couldn't ... the second sip always tasted like water!

My fav is Duvel! But I like Pilsner as well ... ;-) and German Alt is also nice ...

13. andy gibson

Decent US Beer

Aldi recently had a "US Food" theme and were selling Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada ales for a reasonable price.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

And the old joke is...

Beer makes you smart...

...It made Budweiser. (ching boom, Hoy)

errmm...

Can someone pass me the coat with the Kelham Island Pale Rider in the pocket please.

Ta

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.