Feeds

back to article NatWest sets lawyers on student site

A student finance website which offers summaries of bank accounts available for the feckless unwashed masses has been hit with a copyright infringement claim by NatWest. The bank's hungry lawyers claim this page which summarises NatWest's student offer is infringement of its copyright. The letter claims that 118student.co.uk is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

Ahhhhhhhhhh yes......

Customer service from............

Reminds me of the chain store in Australia called Big W or formerly Woolworths.

Girl 16 on payroll stacking sock rack in men's clothing dept.

Asked "Do you have a tape measure?"

Replies, "What's that?"

The management of that company are so stupid that they don't check the basics or provide an "essentials" training program......

The solution ...

... would be to suggest that students avoid using knaB tseWtaN (or the anagram - beast ant wank) as they are a bunch of idiots (the bank that is, not the students).

Joke

Don't you mean...

"best wank a ant"?

FAIL

Nastywest

Even if the most stupid of students (or anyone else who accidently landed on this page) thought that this was an official Natwest page (or even authorised page) what halm could be done? There isn't even anywhere to log on, let alone try and apply for an account or credit card or anything.

Nastywest are obviously just hacked off that they didn't get a glowing review on the website. And if they want one of those perhaps they should offer better deals, service and services.

Alert

Reviews

Nothing can now ever be reviewed. Ever. This might mean the end of El Reg.

FAIL

ShatWest

I thought they were called ShatWest anyway.

They used to be the second worst bank in the UK, until they were taken over by the worst bank in the UK, the Royal Bank of Shitheads aka RBS.

Just to reinforce what a crappy bank it was.. when RBS took over NatWest, they converted all the NatWest branches to run OS/2.

WTF?

"Simply refer to them throughout as tw*tnest."

Or BatNest *ank ('cos they're a wunch of bankers).

But they're advertising on there!

There's a NatWest Google ad at the end of that page (which even the dumbest lawyer wouldn't think was an official NatWest page). I've clicked on it a couple of times - hope it cost them 10p.

Silver badge

Another suggestion

"There is no review of NatWest bank on this site as they have made legal threats against us for reviewing them without their permission. We invite our readers to make up their own minds about a company which needs to resort to this."

Hoe
Stop

Dear The Register...

It would appear that in citing this article you yourselves have infridged our copyright by mentioning our name, your users too with their comments, would you please from now on refer to us as "the nameless government owned bank" as we have yet to register this trademark.

Additionally would you please remove all comments and articles with the words, NatWest, National & Westminster, now I understand this could make things tricky when writing on articles of a banking nature, or even national issues, or should you wish to mention the location of parliament.

However as we are so stupid and therefore unable to keep our bank in the black or understand copyright laws we insist that this action is taken immediately.

Additionally if you would all kindly take yourselves outside for a spanking ensuring to film it on your JudasPhones then finally email these videos too: "WeHaveNothingBetterToDo@NatWest.co.oh.actually.you.cant.publish.our.url.either.com"

This way our staff will have something else to do during the day seeing as we have none of your money left to gamble anyway.

Return Address:

Nameless Bank

London (copyright pending).

P.S. Can anyone recommend us a lawyer who knows wtf he is doing?

FAIL

Not to be pedantic, but...

"Blanket trademark or DMCA claims are increasingly used by big business to silence critics, or even non-critics, because the letters often resemble automatically created spam mails."

I don't think that companies have decided to silence critics specifically because their silencing of critics results in spam-like emails. I think they probably have other reasons.

Plus, it would have been a rather difficult policy to get started.

How about this? I'll let you use it without filing a DMCA claim:

"The letters often resemble automatically created spam mails due to blanket trademark or DMCA claims, increasingly used by big business to silence critics, or even non-critics."

There. Was that so difficult?

FAIL

Helpful banking my arse

NatWest Erdington branch - very unhelpful, very disrespectful. Maybe that is their corporate culture.

WTF?

NatWest are a bunch of...

Oh no I better not say or they will get their scary lawyers on my ass!

Surely if they think they can sue this student site, they better also go and sue Compare the Bastards or whatever its called to then?

Maybe the person who owns the site could change their name to "Nat West" and then change that page to read:

"Hi, I'm Nat West and I'm a massive corporate c**t!"

Arkell v. Pressdram

They need to refer NatWest to Arkell v. Pressdram

WTF?

Hang on - there's a typo here!

The first sentence on the 118student.co.uk page in question reads "...opting for their student bank accounts that any other bank..." THAT any other bank ?

Bloody students. Don't they teach them anything these days.

Paris Hilton

Freedom of computer speech?

Surely under Freedom of Speech laws the site is covered?

Paris because she likes to be covered

Unhappy

Aww

So this is how our (taxpayers) money is being spent!

I'll buy them a bottle of champers, Well I would if only they had not bought all the bottles in existence!

[redacted] added to "DNB" (Do Not Buy) list.

Thumb Down

TwatNest - no change for 20 years

Left unit 20 years ago with an 1st in engineering but I was going on Gap year, so no job. I needed to move my existing TwatNest account nearer to where I live, and the new branch said that was a totally new application, and then refused me as I had no prospects. The fact that I had been left £50,000 by my uncle and it was invested by their investment arm and I needed an account for the investment payments to go into did not seem to bother the local manger at all. I had the Natwest Investment manager pleading with him to open an account for me, but "No job- No bank account". I withdrew all my money and went around the corner to another bank who welcomed me with open arms.

Never set foot in one of their branches ever since.

FAIL

What do you call

A tosser who can't recognise some good, free publicity?

A Banker probably.

Doesn't look like intelligence is on the rise in the financial world.

Paris Hilton

Reminds me

of a mate who always referred to them as FatWest Piggies,

Paris though she has a smaller one than the bank is a bunch of.

Send a letter to The Cable guy

As a subsidiary of a subsidiary of the Department for Business, a route for the protagonist in this story is to contact the Secretary of State especially if the site has anything to do with Twickenham, the constituency for which The Cable guy is MP.

He's at best a bit upset with the banks at the moment and it maybe an excuse for him to ask the RBS CEO to explain why a subsidiary is wasting tax payers money with egregious legal letters while he's concerned about the inadequate lending at the moment.

Maybe El Reg could, in the meantime, promote a series of alternative names for each of the banks so while everyone would know the bank by the reference, no trademark infringement cases could be bought. NatWorst is a starter for 10.

Silver badge

Back in the day

When I were a lad they always got referred to as Shatwest. God-awful institution with the only saving grace being a branch on campus.

FAIL

Natw**t dirty tricks?

I think this bank should be ashamed of itself for persuing a student site that's reviewing banking products. Prior to this article and fuss, I did not know this student site existed. Now that I have seen this site and, in my opinion, there really is no confusion - unless, of course, your a dim-witted lawyer or banker.

I don't understand how such a financial institution thinks it can walk all over smaller sites who appear to be legitimately helping students.

I guess I will be boycotting ANY bank that does this type of thing - NatWe**t consider yourself boycotted !

FAIL

You

You can't spell 'NatWest' without 'twats'.

Way to pass up free promotion of your accounts and services guys.

Go

Would it hurt them most for him to comply?

If he complies with their request, they'll simply be left off the list, and get no leads from this site.

A small note saying ``We are aware that there are other banks, but not all are prepared to be listed here." will make it clear that he hasn't just forgotten them.

Anonymous Coward

I hate crappy companies and scummy petty lawyers.

This bank and their dept of attitude of non gratitude truly sucks.

WTF?

stop advertising Shatwest and advertise another bank

Well stop advertising Shatwest and advertise another bank, whilst mentioning how uptight shatwest are

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.