back to article UK.gov pledges licence fee 'rethink' over heavy catch-up use

The government has pledged to 'rethink' the licence fee because so much television is watched via catch-up services on computers, which does not require the payment of the licence fee. Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has ruled out introducing a licence fee for PCs but has said that his administration will need to find a way to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the issue with that

is that we'd end up with a series of tv channels that show adverts every few minutes, like the American system. It's bad enough on sky!

While I can't say i like the licence fee, especially as i don't watch huge amounts of tv. I do like being able to watch things uninterrupted. Ie if the BBC had made 24, it would actually have been 24 hours long, not 18, with 6 hours of adverts

2. Rob 30

pledge break?

you're right, i have never heard of this, what is a pledge break?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ROB 30

Isn't it when they get out the furniture polish?

3. The BigYin

No, no and thrice no!

One of the best things about the Beeb is the lack of adverts. I am more than happy to pay £12 to not have to watch adverts. In fact, one reason I don't have Sky is because I don't see why I should pay for a channel AND still have to watch adverts*.

The Beeb has problems, no doubt about that (juniors having to work as producers for no extra pay whilst big-wigs cream off vast salaries for no apparent benefit; for example), the Beeb also suffers from Leftie-bias and has failed to produce a meaningful (hard) documentary on any subjest for about ten years; but compared to the likes of ABC, NBC, CBS etc... ...it just leaves them in the dust.

One must be very careful when reading "anti"-BBC stories too. Sky would like nothing more than to see the Beeb neutered, then there would be no competition for the dross it outputs.

*If I ever get around to installing MythTV, that won't be an issue.

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Bloat, bloat and more bloat.

"no immediate danger to the BBC's income" Well it is about time there was a 'danger' to their income. Some people may well consider that we have 'some of the best TV and broadcasting in the world', but even putting aside the reality of that statement, it begs the question of whether we should we be forced to fund the BBC's multiplicity of channels, web site, and other activities?

We are given no option as to if we pay this TV tax or not, and that being the case it should at the very least be pulled back down to a more realistic level.

If we have to fund this bloated corporation, they should either be made to pull back their activities back to a more sustainable level, or made to exist on a much reduced licence fee.

Two TV channels, four radio channel, and convert the web site to a program listing function only sounds about right to me, either that or drop the fee to £10.00 and let them chop out whatever they want.

1. jcw
      Thumb Down

Wrong, wrong and more wrong

There are some daft anti-licence people here but, well, oh dear.

"We are given no option as to if we pay this TV tax or not". Er, no. It's quite simple: stop watching broadcast TV and you don't have to pay.

"it should at the very least be pulled back down to a more realistic level". I assume you haven't seen how much cable or satellite subscriptions are. For channels with adverts.

"Two TV channels, four radio channel" Yes, a lot of the newer channels don't show much I'm interested in either. Then again they generally cost less. There may be a case to kill off some of them, but please base it on something other than "sounds about right to me".

"Convert the web site to a program listing function only". Over my cold, dead body.

1. King Jack
        Thumb Down

That s not in the BBCs interest.

The BBC is in crisis because people are no longer buying into the 'license fee crap. They realize that they can watch what ever they want for free online (and not go to jail). Even using the BBC's own service. The more people that cotton on to saving around £150 a year by doing this, the more the BBC will suffer. Hiding their output behind a pay-wall will only make folk 'torrent' the program. And the idiots who WANT to pay will dwindle. What is the point of BBC3 and BBC4? Is it to show Top Gear in case you missed it on BBC2? Why not go back to having a few 'quality' stations to save money? Because to the BBC think they have a bottomless pit of cash to do with as they wish.

The idea of the license is dated. 1000's of channels NOT controlled by the BBC, but you HAVE to pay them to watch them. It is extortion. Just like paying the mob NOT to burn down your business so you can carry on trading.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Multiplicity of Channels

The BBC's multiplicity of channels is not something the BBC actually asked for as such. Central government/OFCOM tasked the BBC with encouraging people to switch to digital and the extra channels were the result. I doubt the BBC were particularly keen on being given this task, but it's just another example of central government meddling in the BBC.

As for other activities most of those are covered by BBC Wordlwide (or whatever it's called these days) and that receives not one penny of the licence fee. The idea behind that branch of the Beeb was originally selling shows or licensing shows overseas, these days it does a lot more than that but its job is still to raise money above and beyond the licence free revenue. I have heard several politicians and idiots* argue that BBC Worldwide should be closed down as it is a drain on the licence fee. This is total tosh and illustrates a complete misunderstanding of the BBC's structure, BBC Worldwide does exactly the opposite to what these idiots are suggesting. Without the operation of BBC Worldwide Aunty would have less money to spend on programming.

One thing, however, that should be controlled within the BBC is the salary structure. In most public bodies there is a negotiated wage structure, unfortunately this seldom covers senior execs. What should happen across every public funded body from civil service, to local authority, to the BBC, arts council funded organisations and every quango in existence is that single status should be rolled out for every worker from the lowest paid to the highest. The idea of single status is that everybody has a JD in a common format that clearly states responsibilities and tasks that way a person working in say the BBC can be compared with somebody doing a similar job in say Bogshire County Council and pay adjusted accordingly.

I know people working in the BBC who's salaries are totally out of step with people doing the same job in the private sector or even the real public sector. Likewise I know people who work for a certain opera company who are in the same boat. These are just ordinary folk doing average jobs and getting paid what would be senior management salaries in much of the private sector. So what do the senior management get paid?

I don't think the licence fee needs to be cut, think the BBC (and the arts council) need to start living in the real world.

* All politicians are idiots, not all idiots are politicians.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

TV Tax Fail

This shouldn't be a TV tax, it should be a fee paid directly to the BBC. This should be one of the paid services easily done now we're on digital. Why should we be taxed for state run TV?

If they're worried about people sneaking a peek at a few shows on-line, then put up a paywall, bypassed by those given a PIN when they pay for the full service.

3. karl 15
    Megaphone

Stop

"We think that one of the reasons we have some of the best TV and broadcasting in the world"

Is this a joke?

Scrap the tax, and let the BBC make it's money like the rest of the worlds TV has to.

4. Rob 30

keep it simple

If they just issued a login/password with the TV license you could use it to access all the bbc services including catchup stuff, and they could be sure you were paid up then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

e-license?

Maybe an e-license should be issued to a registered email address that could be used as an authentication token when using online TV service? Clearly not that simple, but nevertheless...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More meaningless stats

"40% of students in halls of residence use a laptop as their main way to watch TV"

What a meaningless statistic! Do they use TV cards, in which case alicence still applies? My kids all had tv licences in halls.

I don't know anybody that uses ONLY a pc to watch TV. Most people I know have a "proper telly" (and therefore pay a licence fee) as well as any pc related watching they may do.

Strikes me as bit of the usual posturing and quoting of random meaningless stats prior to jacking up the costs somehow.

They should spend less time trying to "stop people consuming material..." and find ways to ALLOW them to watch it making sure they pay. The whole "stopping.." thing speaks volumes about the way these people see the masses.

If they truly believe a flat rate per household, ring fenced broadcasting tax is the way to go, then be honest and make it one. Then no one will need "stopping from consuming" anything and the TV licencing detector/database bullshit can be disbanded saving even more money to be spent on programmes.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its really simple

Introduce authentication via licence fee. It would get around all those pesky geolocation issues as well.

8. Ben Raynes
    Joke

I wonder...

<quote>If that device is plugged into the mains electricity then the premises must have a licence or the viewer is committing an offence, the TV Licensing Authority has previously said.</quote>

So does that mean if I unplug my laptop before I start streaming, I don't need the licence then?

Bonza! More cash to spend on a faster net connection to watch even more stuff!

1. Dale 3

unplugged laptop

No, it means if you unplug your laptop then you would be covered by your home TV licence wherever you happen to be when using your laptop to watch live streaming TV - at work, for example. However if the battery went flat and you had to plug it in, then you either have to stop watching until it's charged, or the premises would need to have a licence of its own for you to continue watching legally. It's a rather daft definition which persists because no-one has got round to updating the regulations around the TV licence. Which is also why watching it live without a licence is illegal, but watching it via catch-up isn't.

1. Ben Raynes
        Grenade

re:

It was a joke fella. I thought the icon made it abundantly clear.

As it is I only bothered to c'n'p the bit of the quote that made the joke worthwhile. The rest of it does invalidate the point.

9. John Robson Silver badge
    Alert

Really?

"A home licence covers users for any watching on a wireless device. If that device is plugged into the mains electricity then the premises must have a licence"

So if I have a portable telly then I'm covered by my home licence, until I plug it in at work to charge it?

Laptop?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Exactly so.

I had just such a conversation with the TV licensing people a few years back. In theory you can charge it from the mains, but if you watch TV with it while it is plugged in, it needs to be covered by a separate license. On battery is fine anywhere as long as you have a license for your home.

I was having the conversation about USB DVB tuners for laptops.

The only get-out is if your workplace has paid for it's own TV license.

Strangely enough, the person at the other end of the email conversation was quite belligerent about wanting to know my address or the license number.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Clarification please

The article seems to be suggesting that you don't need a license to watch TV over the internet (ref. "Catch-up" services). I thought it had been clarified already in that you DO need a licence if the program originates in the UK, regardless of the media over which it is transmitted. This seems to confirmed (sort-of) by the last paragraph. Now confused....

1. LinkOfHyrule

You don't

You don't need a Licence to watch stuff on iPlayer or anywhere else if its not "as live" meaning it's not actually being currently broadcast. If I went on iPlayer right now (12.30pm) and watched least weeks Top Gear, this is legal for me as someone without a licence. If I chose to watch their live stream of BBC News Channel, I would be breaking the law.

Ask google for some help in finding something officail explaining this. Don't expect such clear cut info to be presented on the TVL website though. It's probably worded in such a way to make anyone think their a criminal.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Again - The article is correct

For LIVE BROADCAST, irrespective of the media format (i.e. TV broadcast, cable, satellite, iPlayer, mobile TV) you need a TV license.

For non-LIVE content, such as catch-up services (ITVPlayer, 4oD, iPlayer, etc), you do NOT need a TV license.

11. yoinkster
    Paris Hilton

<title>

Can the BBC not just block access to the iPlayer for all university IP ranges? I know Warwick has a large block of public IPs, surely it can't be hard to block them?

I can't think of any other group of people that would be watching when they shouldn't be, the article itself state that over 97% of people have a TV license so that would be the end of the job.

There is no way that a PC or laptop is going to replace a massive TV for main consumption so this seems like the end of the problem to me. There, consultation sorted, please put my cheque in the post.

PH because we've all seen her sprawled over the TV (;

1. davenewman

Universities have a licence to all broadcast TV

The CLA sells a licence to schools and universities that allows them to record and use all TV broadcasts in the UK forever (not just one week catch up). This licensing scheme has been agreed instead of the default in the copyright act that says educational institutions can copy and use all such material without breaching copyright.

University students don't stop studying when they go back to the halls of residence.

12. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

TV Licensing and enforcement

The criteria for enforcing license collection must be changing with the digital switch over.

Up until now, it used to be that if you had equipment that was capable of receiving broadcast television, the TV license enforcement people assumed that you needed a license, and you had to demonstrate to them (on a regular basis) that you didn't use it for broadcast TV in order to escape from their harassment.

The License used to be required for "owning equipment capable of receiving a TV broadcast". After switchover, TV's with only analogue tuners are no longer capable of doing this, so should be exempt and classed as monitors.

Will TV's that do not have digital tuners (and where no other digital tuner is in use) actually be exempt from requiring a license? I know that it is almost impossible to buy a TV without a digital tuner now, but I would guess that if you just use such a device for DVD's and videos, TV licensing should stop bothering households that have not purchased digital receiving equipment (ever wondered why you have to prove who you are when buying a TV - it's because that information is fed to TV licensing by the shop! I even had to do this when buying a DVD player not so long ago even though that was not able to receive TV, and also for a TV signal amplifier, even though that is technically not television receiving equipment)

Of course, the intent of the TV license now is that it should be required for receiving broadcast video in real time from any source (as indicated in the article), so the wording of the license must have changed, although I have not read it.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Not quite

The licence is for "installing" or "using" equipment to receive TV broadcasts. If you have a TV, either anologue or digital, and only ever use it as a computer or games console monitor or to watch DVDs etc, you do not need a licence, unless of course you use the computer to watch live TV streams over the internet.

That won't shut up the licencing people though. Just tell them to get lost. They have as much right to enter your property as any other door to door salesman.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I was paraphrasing the license

I know that you can justify not having a license, and I think I said that. I am just interested in finding out whether analogue only televisions will still be counted as television receiving equipment.

13. Nigel Brown
    Pirate

So it's bye bye iPlayer..

...and hello to freetardery. I'm pretty sure most of what I want to catch up on is out on the Interwebtubeshighway thing via p2p or nntp anyway.

14. Rogerborg

Something Must Be Done!

Not that licensing revenue is dropping, you understand, there's just that nagging thought that someone, somewhere, is getting something for free. And it must. Be. Stopped.

15. John Lilburne

What is the problem

Configure the streaming software with the license number.

16. Matt Hawkins
    Thumb Up

User Accounts

Give all licence fee payers a user account and require people to login to watch catchup TV services. Simple.

It will be easy to spot user accounts that are being used excessively and disable them.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much of the licence fee is wasted on collection costs?

I have often heard that a large part of the licence fee is spent on collecting the licence fee. I'd like to know whether that's true.

If it is true, then presumably most people would be better off if the BBC were paid out of general taxation instead. In fact, that might be true even if collecting the licence fee doesn't cost very much. The TV licence is basically just a regressive tax. Abolish it, I say.

(I hardly ever watch TV myself, but other family members do.)

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Ans: very little

Look at the BBC trust's website. You will find that just over 4% of the >£3Bn is spent collecting the tax.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

very little?

4% of £3billion is £120million

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooh...

This'll be a well balanced and non-rabid discussion, I'm going to get my special f5 key warmed up...

19. strangefish

final paragraph says it all

no change in legislation is either required or desirable as current legislation appears to cover this very well.

20. yakitoo
    Go

Simple solution

require a log on using the licence number and the registered postcode.

Would remove the problem of not being able to view when outside the UK.

Won't happen though - far too simple

21. Mike007 Bronze badge

Good luck

I'm sure whatever solution they come up with will have a lot of criticism, and i'm glad it's not my job to figure this out.

The 2 main options seem to be:

1. some form of dedicated income source like the current TV license, but who should pay? if I make my own TV show do you need to pay the BBC before you can download it from my website? and a subscription for users of BBC services just won't work

2. take it from general taxation, then if BBC news says something bad about the government? oh, well due to budget issues we'll have to cut your funding...

yeah, good luck with solving this one

22. Cameron Colley

This sounds a little like the music industry.

While I realise some people may decide to watch online rather than pay a license, you may also find that some do it simply because it is there. I am not convinced that online viewing will really replace TV viewing to a degree that makes an awful lot of difference to the number of license payers -- so I'd be inclined to think of it as "shrinkage" for the short term and think about what will happen if most TV goes IP in some way.

The argument about students, though, was the one that made me think of the music industry first -- students have a history of not paying the license fee going back decades. When I was there we used to watch portable TV which, technically, came under our parent's TV licenses* -- I see this as a more modern version of the same thing. The parallel with the music industry being that students, historically, have always shared music and the only way the internet changed this was to give them more choice -- there was no lost revenue as students would be unlikely to buy music much anyhow.

*well, arguably at least depending on factors like internal batteries.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The government should 'rethink'

Here in the USA the makers of soap and antidepressants pay so we can watch TV for free.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The 42 minute hour

There in the US, you get 42 minutes of programme for every 60 minutes of TV watching. The BBC actually makes hour long programmes.

24. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

It doesn't need a rethink?

I pay for my televsion licence and I'm legally allowed to watch BBC channels, and listen to BBC Radio Stations in whatever form - whether it be in my on televsion, on the internet, over my mobile telephone network; or listen in my car.

I've read the terms on my TV licence and it says that It does say that you need a licence if you own a computer? Or something like that. I'll check when i get home.

I don't mind paying for a TV licence because the BBC is provides great televsion and radio programmes, but I'm not prepared to pay any 'more' for televsion, especially as I pay Sky even more money!

If it aint broken - don't fix it; just leave it as is.

25. The BigYin

If they do bring in...

...some kind of 'net license, I expect the BBC to lift all restrictions on what players can play back their content. I will have paid for it, so I expect to play it on any device of my choice (PC, Mac, iPod, hacked xBox, whatever; on any OS of my choice [not just Windows]).

I am also interested in the pricing. At the moment I pay £12 for "all you can eat" and rarely need to use iPlayer as the PC records more than enough stuff for me (only when it has a glitch do I use iPlayer). So if there is a 'net license, will I end up paying more? I strongly suspect the answer is "yes".

And how does the costing work? Who pays? The owner of the 'net connection or the viewer? If three people share the same net connection, is the fee levied once or three times? What if one person watches three shows at once? Is that now 3 charges?

With some kind of 'net fee, will they (and by "they" I primarily mean the parasitic distributors) finally get out of the dark ages and agree a global license. If I pay the fee to the BBC (or whomever) why the hell can't I play their content from anywhere in the world?

Perhaps such a model is the beginning of the end for traditional broadcasters. Perhaps we'll move to a system where you pick a "agency" that has agree license terms and just get what content you want, when you want (e.g. Jamendo, Magnatune) without restriciton. Paying the appropriate fee, of course.

This will, undoubtedly, lead to the demise of some major player which IMHO would be a good thing. The majors have ruined many promising series in the chase for the current bottom line and jerked content creators around more than enough. I have no doubt the some content creators could "go direct" (e.g. Seth McFarlane, Trey Parker & Matt Stone) and allow their fans access to their content, to major label required.

Can you smell the fear from the MAFIAA yet? Perhaps this is what ACTA is intended to stop - free trade and an open market.

26. AdamW
    Thumb Down

Iplayer

I dont have a TV licence (i have told them i dont need one) as I only watch non-live TV via iplayer and other streaming services.

If i end up paying i will plug the TV back into the aerial

27. Shadowthrone

Surely this is an easy enough thing to sort out

Every TV license has a license number associated with it....make it so that for the BBC iPlayer you need to have an account that has a License number bound to it in-order to play content that the BBC deem should be covered by the license fee.

I personally pay for a TV License but do most of my watching of BBC's programs through the iPlayer so I can watch at my convenience. I have zero issue with making me bind my license number to my iPlayer account in-order to view content.

They could put an incentive on it too, release some programming for free but keep the popular good stuff locked to only license bound accounts.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple

You get or signup for a userid and password with your paper license number which you use to logon to the catchup website. This way you can also watch the programs you are paying for whilst you are abroad, currently foreign ip addresses are prevented from viewing even if the person is a license payer.

29. eJ2095

Erm

Would`nt it be just a case of loging in with your tv licencse accoutn id and your postcode??

Carnt be that hard to implent surley.

Then if others want to watch they could add a debit/credit/mobile fone thingy to view..

But it is the bbc we are talking about so going to cost a min of 5 millions to implement.. lol

30. iRadiate

I've already paid once.

'The BBC's governing body the BBC Trust expressed concern last year about the increasing number of viewers watching catch-up services and said that rules on licences should be clearer.

Most people in the UK already pay a licence fee. They're forced to because of the snooping vans that go around all over the place. It's pretty much impossible to not pay the fee. Therefore anything I watch on my computer is already paid for

31. g e

Actually, forget that

The BBC can go subscription-based. Then you can login to use iplayer.

Only sub to the channels you want, e.g. BBC2+3 and pay porportionally.

Plus the BBC gets a true idea of its perceived value.

32. hugh
    Thumb Down

And so it goes

Every Jeremy Hunt MP policy regarding BBC (c) News International.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like