back to article Life on Earth gets wiped out every 27 million years, say boffins

Much of life on Earth gets regularly wiped out every 27 million years, according to boffins. It had been thought that this was caused by a dark star named "Nemesis", but apparently that was wrong. The next globo-extinction event is due in about 16 million years' time. A plot of extinction intensity in the past. Credit: Richard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. L1feless

The Answer is....

Forty- Two

2. Retired Geek
    Unhappy

Didn't Anyone Notice? It's Already Happened.

All the ecologists are screaming about the loss of bio-diversity caused by over development and habitat loss. The extinction of mega-fauna in the western hemisphere "coincidental" to the arrival of humanity 15,000 years ago (those native Americans who were so-o-o in harmony with Nature) is well documented. The deserts of the Middle East were the Garden of Eden, where agriculture started.

I see no reason for anything more exotic than a recurring biological cycle of evolving dominant life forms that reduce biodiversity by successfully out breeding the other species. We see micro examples of this here in the Gulf of Mexico when there is an algae "bloom" called "Red Tide" that kills off large numbers of fish and other bottom dwellers by blocking sunlight and reducing the oxygen in large (hundred mile) swaths of ocean.

The pattern could be trending towards fewer extinctions because all the species alive are descendants of survivors from previous cycles. We are clearly this cycle's dominant life form and we have been doing an admirable job of killing off the weaker species.

It doesn't require intelligence to muck up the ecology. Intelligence just lets us do it more quickly and on a global scale. Maybe as much as 16 mega years faster? Yea, us.

3. koopmaster

I can't resist - ITS THE END OF THE WORLD...!!!

In 16 Million years........

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

It's just a noodley appendage...

...doodling on an etch-a-sketch. It's only when the beer-volcanoes run dry, that we'll all be in deep kim chee.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Alternative explanation

The marker that scientists use to date fossils (Carbon 14 dating) follows a 27 million year cycle.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The trouble with graphs

Just because a graph seems to give you a correlation doesn't actually mean there is one.

Then again, maybe we should be praising the Somalians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#Pirates_and_global_warming

Mines the one with the noodly appendages

7. SilverWave
    Happy

So... the doomsday machine wakes up every 27my?

With a small random factor thrown in just so as not to me too predictable...

8. JayDee

so

I'm 41, live on my own with a cat, and can’t drink alcohol anymore....

I welcome the end of the world.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: so

Aw. Chin up, JayDee.

9. David McMahon
    Alert

I'm trying to read this

At 6am, it's not happening! I'll try later!

Please don't end the world yet! I've not had supper

10. url
    Stop

preposterous

the earth is only 2000 years old, baby jesub died for our syns (acks)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Argh! I can't find my ....

.... towel and the dog has eaten the peanuts.

Looking at the accuracy of the statements made vs. the data available, I'd say a Pension Fund Manager has been involved somewhere along the line. Hey, there's a thought; perhaps another use for Paul the Octopus could be in Pension Fund Management?

12. zenp
    Alien

...stupid food...

...Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn...

13. edwardecl
    Grenade

Bah, it's obvious

Has nobody watched Reign of Fire?

The dragons wake up every ~27 million years for a snack. Maybe sooner with all the mining and drilling ^^.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course

it could be that all those species died out in a global cataclysm 4500 years ago.

15. Mips
    Jobs Horns

If that is periodic....

... I would not set my watch by it. I think it is a case of 18 event in 500m years - Ooh lets see! Thats once every 27m years, OK.

Best of luck doomsayers.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Graph pretty meaningless

without error bars.

17. Mussie (Ed)
    Jobs Halo

See

See what happens when got for gets to save spor

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.