back to article The Linux Chronicles, Part 1

Last Autumn I volunteered to review Windows 7. But in the following weeks, I found Linux to be preferable in many ways. This is pretty significant progress, and outside the 'community' has gone largely unnoticed, too - I haven't seen all that many Ubuntu stories in the Wall Street Journal. But what comes next is going to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. vegister

codecs

my dad has windows7. i sent him a video file the other day, in some regularly used format avi. he said that he heard the sounds but got kaleidoscopic pictures for the video. windows didn't offer to download a codec or tell him that it was unsupported or anything.

try this in ubuntu and it tries to download the codec you require if it doesn't have it.

most criticism of ubuntu is out-dated and also short sighted - how did you get the right codecs on your windows machine and how did you know they were safe?

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Thumb Up

VLC

It runs on Windows. Our IT guys swear by (not at) it to view stuff sent by clients using who knows what codec.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Thumb Up

VLC rocks.

VLC rocks on all platforms.

It doesn't matter if it's Windows, MacOS or Linux that's giving you the trouble.

It's one of those great cross platform apps that makes every platform better.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

You generate your own bad karma.

> when you use the forums ?

>

> got fed up with standing in penguin shit whilst trawling for solutions

> that just aren't there.

>

> How happy am I running a PC that won't; play MP3's even after installing

> the codex, fucks up

> printing documents from Open Office, shows Flash ads in

>

I can see why you get abuse. You sound like a troll.

You can only get out of a help forum what you choose to put into it.

No one that isn't getting paid to put up with you will put up with your crap.

1. batfastad
    Jobs Horns

Really really want to use Linux but...

... There's some software I just have to use.

Until GIMP has CMYK support, I'll still be stuck using Photoslop. Until PDFs die as a format, I'll still have to use Acrobat.

For 95% of my day-to-day work, my trusted open-source applications do the trick... Filezilla, JEdit, Firefox, OpenOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus, Thunderbird, VLC

But there's always that one document or format that I have to fire up WinXP for. So I end up just using XP most of the time.

Really like the idea of running Linux then firing up a WinXP VM though, might look in to doing that soon. Unfortunately none of my machines would really cut the mustard for that at the moment.

I admin 7 Linux servers and it's truly awesome compared to the old MS SBS 2003 / Win 2k Server boxes we used to have.

Used it a fair amount on desktops too (Ubuntu, CentOS) but always ran into the odd driver issue with laptops though that seems to be improving with laptop-specific distros.

IMO there are 2 key concepts that make Linux the future (in one variant or another):

- package manager and repos (not some sort of app store, pfft)

- a home directory where programs keep all their settings (the Windows registry is just so brutally aweful)

With Ubuntu I've noticed a worrying trend towards bundled software, including loads of stuff that you probably don't want by default. But that's ok... because with Linux there's always another distro with a different philosophy and that's great!

Personally I'd like an OS that has pretty much nothing apart from driver/I-O support and a basic graphical shell, then I install the burning/IM/photo-video-media player/browser/office suite etc that I want.

One day hopefully we'll have a world where the OS is a complete irrelevance.

Most software created is built on open-source frameworks and can then be compiled to run on any OS.

1. blah 5
      WTF?

Bwuh? PDFs are easy!

Since Adobe gave up control of the format, finding alternative apps to create PDFs has become trivial. Just fire up OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, or your favorite word processor of choice. Anything that is even a couple of years old has had this capability built in for years.

2. A J Stiles
      Stop

Acrobat not required

"Until PDFs die as a format, I'll still have to use Acrobat." <-- Wrong.

Ghostscript, part of the Linux printing system, can create PDF files natively. And both KDE and GNOME have their own PDF viewers.

3. Quirkafleeg

GIMP & CMYK

http://docs.gimp.org/en/glossary.html#glossary-cmyk

4. copsewood
      Linux

PDF viewers on Linux

Evince is more capable than Acrobat because you can cut and paste out of password protected PDFs with Evince but not with Acrobat.

http://bcu.copsewood.net/sectheory/drm/ProtectedPdfCanBeCopied.jpg

1. batfastad
        Jobs Horns

Not looking for PDF viewer!

Just as a followup to all these "duh there's loads of alternative PDF viewers for Linux" replies to my original post.

Yes there are! But I'm talking about Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader. There's a huge difference!!

I already use Foxit and SumatraPDF to view PDFs.

I'm not just talking about creating new PDFs from a source document either!

Most of my use of Acrobat is advanced manipulation of existing PDFs.

So what Linux program do I use if I:

- need to export all comments from a PDF (preferably in an XML format)

- export/summarise all changes (insertions/subtractions of text) made to a PDF by users

- downsample all images in a PDF that are over a certain dpi, down to a different dpi

- change the document view settings/meta

- change the font sub-setting to ditch unecessary glyphs

- optimise PDFs to different PDF spec versions

- insert individual pages/page ranges into an existing PDF, combine PDFs, extract pages as separate files

- draw box/custom shape hyperlinks to websites

I've been aware of the experimental CMYK separate plugin for GIMP for a while. It can separate an image into CMYK colour layers, but it doesn't do the one-stop CMYK->RGB->CMYK->whatever colour space conversion that the Photoshop "Mode" menu does.

The suggestions here haven't given me a way to switch ALL of my day-to-day work tasks onto Linux, so until that happens I'll have to continue using Windows.

And that frustrates me, I want to use Linux!

But I also don't want to have to fire up a different OS just to convert an image from RGB to CMYK or run a quick Pivot chart on a spreadsheet (in my experience OpenOffice seems to spectacularly dislike making pivot charts)

2. McBread
    Alert

Um?

"This actually was a blessing for Linux, because with one of the two desktop environments removing itself from the picture, development focused on the one that was still waggling its little legs."

Really? Despite KDE4's difficult gestation, and premature adoption by Kubuntu et al, I haven't noticed any large scale shift in support. For the most part, the pro-KDE camp carries on being pro-KDE, and the pro-Gnome camp carry on being the pro-Gnome camp.

I've carried on using KDE out of habit; while I regreted the initial switch to KDE4, it's come on a long way, and I only find small niggles now. On a plus note, nobody has tried to move my window buttons to the wrong side...

3. jpark
    Pint

About the Menu Buttons - There is an easy option

For moving the Ubuntu menu buttons to the right, all you do is:

alt+f2

gconf-editor

go to apps>metacity>general>button_layout

change the value to:

menu:maximize,minimize,close

And you are done. No powertools needed.

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: About the Menu Buttons - There is an easy option

That sounds easy! Thank you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I like it, I must be the only one!

Using OSX in my free time and Ubuntu for work, I actually like the buttons on the left. I became so sad I flipped the Ubuntu keyboard map to Macintosh so the layout felt more comfortable. Such is the beauty and ease of use of Ubuntu.

As Troy McClure would say, "Have it your way baby!".

3. RISC OS
      FAIL

That's the easy option?

No wonder ubuntu failed to get on non-nerds' desktops!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

The easy option is stability over time.

> No wonder ubuntu failed to get on non-nerds' desktops!

How do you do that on Windows exactly?

While the gconf version sounds kind of registry-like, it's using remarkably more human readable keys.

It would be nice if Windows had as much consistency through time as either Linux or MacOS does. This issue is ultimately about rolling back annoying Microsoft style UI changes. It's stark and shocking because that sort of crap usually doesn't happen on Linux to begin with.

The "easy way" is just to use the Appearance section in the control panel.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

let down by the small things

I have used the latest Ubuntu, and it was pretty good. But, that said, there was still too much wrong with it for me to be happy using it as my main OS.

I don't know if it was driver related, but videos were very poor performance, even dvd's stuttered occasionally, when i got all the dodgy illegal stuff installed to allow me to actually play them.

I don't know if it is a component of open source, but the impression i got was that when it works, it works, and when it doesn't work, it really doesn't work! As long as everything was chugging along normally, it was fine, but as soon as anything went outside that it went badly wrong. I got cryptic, meaningless error messages, software that would freeze up for minutes at a time with no explanation, to software that would just quit. Never mind the dialogs with controls off the bottom, because no-one would ever use a screen that was only 600 pixels high.

It's a similar experience to the software that i get back from people i work with offshore, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, in the way it's supposed to do it. As long as you only do exactly what you are supposed to do, but the slightest thing outside of this, and it starts behaving randomly. With the developers i work with, it's because nobody said explicitly what should happen in that explicit circumstance, i'd like to hope that these developers don't just implement the functionality they want, but that they think around it as well, and check what impacts it might have.

However, that's certainly not the impression that comes across to me as a user, while I don't go out of my way to break things, i also don't go out of my way to use things in the, specifically intended, fashion!

1. Leo Maxwell
      Grenade

"meaningless error messages"? WTF?

Linux has no patent on meaningless error messages, Windows is full of them:

"Connection failed, error 243, more data is available"

Or OSX "an error has occurred because: An error has occurred"

The difference is that Linux has a comprehensive logging system that can be used to track that error down and solve it, Windows has the morass of Technet..

2. mikebartnz

AC: 30th June 2010 16:06

Quote "Never mind the dialogs with controls off the bottom, because no-one would ever use a screen that was only 600 pixels high."

Hold the Alt key down and click and drag anywhere within the window.

If it is one used regularly click on the menu button on the title bar, go to Advanced/special window settings/Geometry and force position or size.

Those two have no equivalent within Windows.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Ah, BeOS....

A beer to Andrew for a killer thought-provoking article.

I miss BeOS, NeXT and AmigaOS. BeOS died because they made it extremely proprietary and "MY toy, not yours", not unlike Sun's NeWS and Ted Nelson's Xanadu, so they lost out to Linux, X11, and HTML because of it.

I use Linux instead of Windows because on Linux, I can diagnose problems and fix them, and once they're fixed, they *stay* that way.

Windows will just crap out for no apparent reason at any time without warning, which make it difficult to get shit done. I'll think I have it fixed, then it'll do it again. So it's relegated to a VMWare image that I pull out every couple of weeks when I must.

Anyway, I use Debian with a homegrown FVWM config. There's neither KDE or Gnome on my system, because both are crap.

6. Kevin Pollock

@ blah5

A couple of comments...

I will take your advice on trying OO again on XP, thanks for that reminder.

I know Edward Tufte's essay very well. It's a good read, and he makes some excellent points. But crap presenters are still crap presenters with or without Powerpoint. :-) I think it's an excellent observational piece though.

I freely acknowledge Powerpoint gives crap presenters some interesting new ways to screw up! A bit like Desktop publishing software gave people who had no intrinsic document design skills interesting new ways to write ransom notes.

I'd also like to re-interate that I said "a lot of people use Powerpoint", not that they are dependent on it. Nobody should depend on any specific application to do their job (unless they're a developer for that application). Powerpoint is a useful way to store, organise, and present information, and it does those things better than anything else on the market today (even the Apple thingy - Keynote?).

As for being soured on Impress by one moderator. Well he was the moderator of a developer forum. I saw many comments about the poor graphics capabilities of Impress. And to be honest it was pretty par for the course for those kind of techie-focused forums. Anyone who mentions a customer-related issue tends to be dismissed as a "marketing dweeb".

In fact it makes me laugh that the Linux community has managed to develop a totally useless, but very pretty 3D desktop in the form of Beryl, but can't even get simple Powerpoint animations right.

My comments are focused on the Powerpoint/Impress "feature gap" because I tend to push Powerpoint to its limits. If I was a power user of Word or Excel I'm sure I'd be able to list reasons why the OO equivalents are not up to par. You pointed out the database deficiencies, for example.

I suppose you could argue that with OO being "good enough" for a free office application it becomes a barrier for a commercial company to create a real MS Office killer.

To be successful on the desktop, Linux needs a truly professional Office suite. Open Office is not it. End of story.

Cheers,

SPuD

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Apple's thingy?

At the risk of starting a presentation program flame war; Keynote shits on Powerpoint. Impress is perfectly serviceable, heck if you know what you are doing Google Doc's presentation module does the job! If you are relying on animations and effects et c. to make your presentation "pop", you are doing it wrong. Dismissing and OS based on the fact that you couldn't work with the office suite is a wee bit asinine...

7. Random Coolzip
    FAIL

re: "PowerPoint is actually used by quite a few people"

PowerPoint is the current "golden hammer" of the not-quite-ready-for-business-software set. Much like early users used to type documents in 1-2-3 or couldn't send a screen capture without wrapping it in a Word document (after saving it as a bitmap, of course). The majority of .ppt documents I get sent are just containers, apparently prized for the animations between slides and the clip-art more than the actual ability to present anything.

If you actually *need* animation and sound effects to present some information, I question the need to share the information in the first place...

8. Citizen Concerned
    WTF?

meh

"But I was impressed that Linux had found the benevolent dictator it needed to sort out the UI mess..."

Ach. So was it him that made you write that 3G dongles (not one, not two, but three!) work with Ubuntu.

I get it now. Pfff.

Btw. The boy is a dictator to his own sorry cult. Not to "Linux". I use another Linux distro, and would rather start using Windows than have something like Shuttleworth make decisions on how I use my computer and what its interface looks like.

1. James Hughes 1

You sad bastard

If you cannot see the benefits that Shuttleworth has brought to Linux then you must be blind as a bat.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Shuttleworth is irrelevant.

Shuttleworth is irrelevant and at best a minor nuissance.

He does not control the platform like Gates or Jobs. No matter how much he might try to micromanage Ubuntu itself, it still remains a collection of projects controlled by other people. Anything that is in Ubuntu is the same stuff that's in any other distro. A few notable exceptions are special Ubuntu specific management niceties that have probably gotten ported elsewhere by now (one would hope).

I can dump a Gnome tool for a better one any time I like. This even applies to the login manager.

The "chaos of choice" is very helpful in that respect.

I am not stuck using Powerpoint or iPhoto if I despise them.

9. Jamie Kitson

I Do!

> I don't know why I hadn't started with Ubuntu.

Because you're a cantankerous old man! ;)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linux Chronicles - Ubuntu and Others

Fedora 12 and Fedora 13 have both been COMPLETELY painless for me....an hour each to install, and everything just worked (including the Broadcomm wireless card). So there are at least two pretty good distributions out there which just work.

Incidentally, Fedora 13 installs the latest version of WINE, and - much to my surprise - various Windows XP and Windows 98 apps installed and ran cleanly with no problems. Not that I need Windows apps, but its interesting that they are available if needed.

11. filter-boy
    WTF?

Mind your language

A great article and well written, but please, get your expressions correct!!

It's not "I could care less about ..." It's I *couldn't* care less"!! Why is everyone suddenly screwing this one up? Seriously, it's like the idiots that don't know the difference between "than" and "then"! WTF people?!

</rant>

(For those who don't see the difference: If you COULD care less about something, surely you ARE caring about it, whereas if you COULDN'T care less, then you obviously DON'T care about it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mind your language

...not in America, where Andrew lived for several years.

2. sam bo
      Thumb Up

WHO CARES ?

Agree, I used to have the same problem with it....but then ,the more I thought about it , I realised that what they were in fact saying was - I could care less ( but it would be extremely difficult, thus placing it at the negative end of the caring scale). Makes sense if you look at it that way.

1. RJ
        Headmaster

Could be....

My dad, who is a bit of a language buff reckons that the phrase came from the apparent Jewish use of sarcastic rhetorical questions.

Basically imagine someone saying "I could care less" in a hugely sarcastic tone (Lord BlackAdder anyone?) and the meaning matches up to "I couldn't care less" spoken straight.

Of course since it relies on intonation the effect is totally lost on the internet and perceived to be incorrect to those of us who know "couldn't care less" but don't have exposure to "Could care less" spoken in the original manner.

12. Anomalous Cowturd
    Pint

Would the Real Slim Orlowski please stand up, please stand up.

@ ske1fr

My thoughts exactly!

Come on Andrew, next you'll be shedding a tear over my long lost friends DR/DOS and OS/2!

Whatever next? Swapping your MacBook for an Eeebongo laptot? iPhone for an Android?

I need a drink.

P.S. My "Reply" and "Report" buttons have disappeared too. Links are still there. elReg?

Latest preview of Opera. Build 6368. Running under Umbongo 10.4. Worked fine in 10.10 and 10.53. Bleedin' Bleeding edge... Fast as feck though! Even on a single core 2GHz.

Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-GB) Presto/2.5.29 Version/10.60

13. OmniTechnoMancer

A small note about your "BeOS" screenshot

That screenshot you have of "BeOS" is in fact a screenshot of Haiku, an OS inspired by BeOS that seeks to improve what BeOS had. It is working toward binary compatibility with BeOS R5 for its first release R1. It already has this compatibility and can run most BeOS programs. After R1 compatibility will likely be broken to fix some problems and to allow for moving forward.

There have already been two alpha releases, you can get the latest at http://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku however be sure to read http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha2/ReleaseAddendum as some things did not work out perfectly as happens with software.

Thank You

1. Rabayn
      Thumb Up

Haiku

I was going to mention this as well. If you liked BeOS, or want an open source OS that feels like it was actually intended to be a desktop OS, Haiku seems to be something to keep an eye on.

An OS that is actually.... an OS; not simply a kernel with a hodge podge collection of libraries/apps poured on top.

A preference for licenses that are friendly to ALL developers, not just those wearing open source blinders.

An emphasis on backward compatibility.

Yes, I am excited to see where Haiku goes from here.

14. elderlybloke
    Gates Horns

I will stay with Ubuntu

It is not perfect,and tests my limited technical knowledge.

However being a persistent and perverse fellow , I persevere and manage to keep solving the problems.

I realise that most Windows users are not likely to use a Linux OS, like Ubuntu until a some more of the rough edges have been smoothed out.

The great Leader is making steady progress and I thank him and his team for the improvements I have seen in the past 3 years.

15. Tom Chiverton 1

KDE

I just put KDE4 via Kubuntu on a new ThinkPad edge, and it all worked out of the box <shrug> I get the impression you only tried it on the old hardware, or didn't spend the time to look at it - for all the fluff it's still much the same really.

16. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good article

Well written and sums up most of what I think. I haven't actually used Ubuntu enough to know that it's finally the one to pit against Windows but I have heard good things about it. My only concern is that in my experience people like the author are in the minority. Most of the xIX community /still/ spend too much time squabbling amongst themselves.

I can several kicking off in this thread.

C'est la vie.

17. Jim 59
    Go

Integration

An enjoyable article and well written. But you are barking up the wrong tree.

Linux will overtake windows on the desktop as and when it is factory integrated on a majority of new PCs. The niggles discussed in the article come down to integration and you would experience similar problems with Windows if you had to install it yourself. The reasons that Windows is no.1 are political, not technical. Both Windows 7 and Ubuntu can offer a good user experience. But Windows 7 makes a lot of money for a lot of industry players, and that will not change soon.

1. RISC OS
      Jobs Horns

hmmm.

'Linux will overtake windows on the desktop as and when it is factory integrated on a majority of new PCs.'

Yeah, Linux WILL overtake windows on the desktop, when MS move to Cloud only OS, or when the userbase of Windows migrate to Apple and MS's share collapses, then you'll be right. Linux will then have a larger user base than windows.- but it still be about the 1% mark.

18. Martin Usher
    Go

Dual purpose

The nice thing about Ubuntu is that its a nice, well polished, easy to use OS that still retains the bleedin' edge capabilities of a full-on Linux distribution for those who really want to experiment. Its installation, upgrade and peripheral support has been superior to Windows for years now -- Windows is fussy and frustrating, Ubuntu "just works".

One thing I am starting to really resent about Windows is the amount of downloading and upgrades it does -- everything's a fix for the previous fix. Most of this -- starting with AV software -- is just MSFT refusing to fix basic design flaws, instead using a patch 'n kludge mindset to keep filling the cracks. I can trace a lot of contemporary WinWeirdness back to MS-DOS!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Powerpoint not more Impress-ive for everyone

All discussion I've seen posted so far on this particular aspect of things argues whether or not OpenOffice Impress is really good enough to compare with MS Powerpoint. They're not the same, and many will prefer Powerpoint. That's fine. But I thought it would be good to give input from someone who can use either any time, but chooses Impress because of the work experience not because of principle. Some of us have both available on our desktops and use both all the time (and even have Keynote too), and of the three will use OpenOffice (actually NeoOffice in my case) when possible. I find making presentations on Powerpoint much more troublesome and less pleasant. When making a presentation to give myself I default to NeoOffice. When forced to produce ppt or pptx for sharing, I use NeoOffice and save as ppt. Then I run it through Powerpoint just to make sure nothing weird has happened. Similarly, I know people who truly like to compose documents in Word, but I find it excrutiating. I frequently must produce something in .doc format for work. When this is so, I compose the document using emacs and then convert it to Word.

20. emk

Its not about the tech!

As you admit you did not get it back then. Still don't. THe success of Linux in the marketplace is not about the technology, how many desktop environments, ease of use, the UI etc. We long ago passed that point.

Even back in the era of Redhat 5.1 when I got started with it, Linux was just as good, and even better than Windows 98. That is if you could get it already installed, tested and configured on a desktop computer.

The reason Linux has never conquered the desktop has to do with Microsoft's market power, consumer inertia and ignorance and the oligopolistic nature of the tech industry. It has nothing to do with whether Linux is technically better than Windows or not.

I was reminded of this point some time back when I ran into woman at a computer store in the US (Bestbuy as I recall). She had taken her computer in to be fixed and we struck up a conversation. She told me that she had just spent over USD200 on her computer at Bestbuy, because it was running slow and here she was again, having to bring it in for another tune up. I gently told her that her problem was all the malware and viruses that accompany Windows and that a switch to Linux or even a mac would cure that. All I got was a blank stare. Instead she wanted to know which was the best antivirus that she could buy. After all the money she had thrown away getting her computer repeatedly cleaned, she wanted to know if she could throw more money at it. Getting rid of the basis of the problem, the operating system, did not even register with her.

That in a nutshell is why its so hard to get a bottom up groundswell of Linux adoption, particularly in marketer subservient cultures like the US and to a lesser extent Europe. The consumer ignorance and inertia in places like the US supports a rich business ecosystem composed of places like Bestbuy that will take any amount of money off you to clean your computer, sell you antivirus and ultimately a new computer, but will never tell you, get Linux. Companies like the big vendors, HP, Dell etc who make the faster computers so you can run Windows+apps+malware without any noticeable slow down.

Large scale Linux adoption on the desktop will come, not when Linux is technically better than Windows, which I believe it already is, but when Microsoft's death lock on the industry and the large computer vendors is broken. Its happening very slowly.

In the end though, Linux is at a serious disadvantage in the consumer culture of the US and Europe. Linux is a hacker operating system and hacking is the opposite of consumerism.

The basic principle of consumerism is that somebody else produces and the consumer consumes. The producer or marketer is active/dominant and the consumer is passive/subservient always waiting with bated breath for the next wonder product from Apple, Microsoft etc.

In contrast the basic principle of hacking is that the hacker is their own producer and consumer. They consume as they produce. They are therefore active and dominant in both consumption and production.

The burden of responsibility that a hacker OS places on the computer 'consumer' may well be a bridge too far for consumers in places like the US and will likely be the greatest long term limiting factor to Linux adoption on the desktop.

emk

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Not just about money

Okay so USD200 for a tune up is a silly price but if it did indeed result in a faster running computer maybe it was worth it for her. How long would it take her to install, configure and get to grips with Linux? How much time would she waste trying to integrate with external systems?

Perhaps she's an office worker. In that case attempting to integrate a Linux machine into a set up that is based around Windows could be hell. Her employer may not even allow her let alone assist in the transition. Better yet her employer may well pick up the bill in which case what does she care?

Granted the woman you describe sounds to be technically inept - sure we'll agree on that. But do you really think that someone stupid enough to allow her computer to slow down, then stupid enough to pay some store to fix it will be able to administrate her own Linux box?

I don't.

Maybe (just maybe) it would prompt her to get technical, learn in which way of what and come out as a highly skilled competent Linux buff. Unfortunately if her job is regional sales director for a company that sells rubber dolls I would suggest all that effort is a complete waste of time.

USD200 and an hour waiting at Bestbuy could well be the sensible decision.

ESC key:Because sometimes I just want to escape from IT.

1. emk

My point

My point was not that this lady was stupid. Far from it. I think she was just totally oblivious to her alternatives either Mac, Linux or anything else. She certainly knew that BestBuy was not giving her the best deal as she had spent more than $200 there over several visits with no joy.

She simply assumed that computing==windows. Most consumers do that.

There are certainly Linux distros that are easy for a complete newbie to install and that would have taken less time and effort to learn than her repeated taking apart and transportation of her computer to BB took.

LinuxMint www.linuxmint.com comes to mind.

She might even have investigated a Mac. Given all the problems, infections,epidemics etc in the Windows world I think only consumer apathy can explain 8-10% market share for the mac.

emk

21. ArmanX
    Thumb Up

OpenOffice is not Linux

Some people don't seem to realize that, I guess. If you really want, you can run Microsoft Office in Linux (google CrossOver Office); yes, it costs money, but so does MS Office, right?

It takes time to get used to Linux, regardless of GUI chosen; just like those hints for StarCraft won't work for Final Fantasy, those years of Windows tricks you've gathered are pretty useless in Linux. Besides, a fresh install of Windows doesn't even HAVE an office program; notepad isn't exactly the best presenting tool...

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Hmmm?

It has Word Pad. Okay so it's still very rudimentary but it would be enough to let you pen a letter to someone or write a simple report.

Paris:Because she's rudimentary and possibly quite simple :)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"Until PDFs die as a format, I'll still have to use Acrobat."

You do know that there's an Acrobat Reader from Adobe for Linux, do you? It may not be as recent as the latest Windows one but I still get by with Acrobat 5.1 even on Windows, never failed to read a PDF yet and it's faster/lighter and more secure than the recent bloatware.

And if it's PDF creation, OpenOffice and others already mentioned fix that for you.

Suse comes with Acrobat on the list of things you can install if you wish.

Suse is the low-geek-factor Linux for people who just want to get things done.

This is being written on a Suse 11.whatever box; I think I'm using KDE but I neither know or care (I do know Suse ships both so punters get the choice).

I also know that on another box six inches away I run a high speed serial comms data acquisition system. 920kbit/s on multiple ports, no flow control, on an ancient Dell. We did try WIndows but it wasn't expected to cope and it didn't. This app was initially targeted on a lovely little Taiwanese ARM 8serialport comms box, but the vendor wouldn't tell us how to reflash their kernel to incorporate our homebrew serial driver and some other kernel stuff, so now it runs on x86. It runs on x86 on Suse (10.something because it was around at the time). It's realtime enough for this, it might even be realtime enough for Andrew if he were to try it (though tbh I'm not sure there's much Suse-specific in it except the simple configuration process).

Suse. The non-trendy low-geek-factor Linux for people who want Linux to work for them, rather than to make work for them.

ps for Suse above, please read OpenSuse and use whatever capitalisation pleases you. Thank you.

pps no connection with Suse or any related organisation.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Mint Linux

Title is all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like