back to article Dyson Air Multiplier desktop cooler

Dyson, famous for its innovative vacuum cleaners and industrial hand dryers, has seemingly combined the two designs to create its first desk fan, the Dyson Air Multiplier. Dyson Air Multiplier Cock-a-hoop: Dyson's Air Multiplier Being Dyson, impressive aesthetics are to be expected and this unique design doesn’t disappoint …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anton Ivanov
    Flame

Can El Reg do their research properly

The way air is "multiplied" here is NOT Dyson innovation, it is a Remington one. Its first appearance in a consumer product was in the Remington Vortex hair drier about 12 years ago. Dyson may have changed the design slightly to make it into a shiny Dyson toy, but that is about it. That is besides the fact that similar principles have been used in turbines for 40+ years.

Innovations some other time. More like misleading marketing about being innovative. It is not the first time either. There are other examples - the Airblade (same design shipped by Mitsubishi for years) and so on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe not a jet engine...

"the cool sound of a fighter jet, all day, no thanks."

Would it be extravagant to use a Merlin with prop to cool the office down?

I could listen to that all day.

A large office with £200 fans on each desk could quickly add up to the cost of the Spitfire engine, and that would be enough to cool everyone! You wouldn't want to put your hands near it like the Dyson...

3. Justabloke 1
    Thumb Up

A guy in my...

... office has one of these and I can confirm that at least one was bought by a prick.

4. trox
    FAIL

another dyson ...

...another rip off that will eventually prove to be too sensitive to say particles in the air (like after the ash cloud) or cat pee or whatever happens to a fan in its live. And oh: do the air inlets clog easily with dust? I thought so.

5. Andrew Garrard

Small fan, loud noise

To get a given amount of energy into the air flow, you can use a small fan going fast or a big fan going slowly. This is a fact known to everyone who's ever tried to make their computer a bit quieter. Take a desk fan and put the air propulsion source in the (small) base, and I'm not surprised it's loud - although presumably it's at least a bit muffled by the housing. Were I to get one, I suspect I'd wrap the base in acoustic cladding and hope it helped. (Frankly, I'm tempted to do the same with the new hand driers at work. Brilliant high-efficiency high air-flow design - so loud that nobody uses them, saves a lot of power...)

I was hoping when they announced this that it was actually fanless (or possibly impeller-less, depending on what's in the base), and produced a properly smooth (and silent) airflow. I'd pay a premium for that - and also be interested in how it works - but it doesn't appear that this is what they've done.

6. Matt Ryan
    FAIL

Dyson vacuum cleaners

Agree with other about the vacuum cleaners - I bought mine because it was meant to be better suction and not fade with the bag getting clogged. Was a tempremental piece of crap that contantly overheaded despite cleaning/replacing the filters. On advise of tradespeople got a Henry with is *much* better. When the Dyson went to the tip it joined a long queue of others that were there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Don't buy from high street or their website!

just came back home with 2 of them from Costco for £141 each, a £100+ saving.

felt like boxing day sale

8. Adrian Esdaile
    Thumb Down

How much?

$200 GBP? My our two little desk fans here cost $19 AUS each, thats about $6 GBP. The Dyson would want to be made of pure gold-plated unobtainium to cost that much. People knock Apple for increasing price to make their stock more 'exclusive', but Dyson are the true masters!

Seriously, what is the cost to produce this thing? $15 GBP? If it's made in PRC probably less than that. I can understand a little bit of design when into it, but not $200 GBP worth. I guess it's a nice earner if you can get away with it, but it's about the same ethics level as audiophile gear - ie a total rip off.

I seriously doubt you are going to save $194 GBP worth of electricity of the life of the product!

9. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

WTF!!!!!!

This in inovation???????? Prior art, the Air Multiplier™ is just a simple venturi air mover, I was using these 30 years ago to ventilate confined spaces of hazardous fumes.

Paris, who also knows how to blow things.

10. Stevie

Bah!

<<This results in a consistent flow of air rather than the buffeting blast after blast buffeting produced by traditional fan blades.>>

What on earth is this blither on about? I live in New York and hence, of a summer, have recourse to a number of fans in my house to keep air moving and cooling the place. I have never noticed this buffeting you so eloquently refer to. I venture to suggest that to do so one would need a seriously damaged fan, such as one with only a single remaining blade, and even then not so much, what with air being a fluid and acting to average out "buffeting" rather well.

I would also like to point out that when insects take a journey through a regular fan they rarely if ever end up being sprayed all over the face of the person sitting in front of the thing. I wonder if the same can be said of this miniature bug linear accelerator?

And as has already been pointed out, 200 quid for a fifteen quid item is laughably unrealistic.

11. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"Beware imitations"

If the Dyson vacuum cleaner wasn't good then they wouldn't have had one or more bigger companies ripping off the design.

If it wasn't innovative then they wouldn't have sued and won.

The fan price is eyewatering, maybe it's useful if you use it the right way. Or just a status symbol.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Returning them today, noisy, unstable, unusable

i can't wait to get back to the vendor and return them. Dyson's a heavily sharp guy, who I admire but this is a colossal failure of a product. my £30 fan from B&Q is better, sadly as I like to support UK vendors....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like