back to article Mozilla man blasts Apple and Google for HTML5 abuse

Mozilla open source evangelist Chris Blizzard has unloaded on both Apple and Google for abusing the HTML5 moniker, confusing netizens everywhere, and undermining the slow march towards truly open web standards. Blizzard is so peeved at Apple and Google that he even goes so far as to lavish praise on Microsoft for its belated …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Captain Black

buzzwords

...and so now our customers are going to start demanding their next rebrand or site is HTML5 and CSS3, more headache for me!

1. MyHeadIsSpinning

I'm confused

Don't Google give money to Mozilla in exchange for being the default search engine on Firefox upon installation?

Why is a Firefox evangelist slagging off Google then?

1. Adam Williamson 1

Why?

"Why is a Firefox evangelist slagging off Google then?"

Because Mozilla actually has a shred of ethical sense and allows its employees to say what they think, regardless of underlying commercial relationships?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well for what it's worth.

I like him

3. David Nine

Wow...

For a man espousing open standards, he sure talks like he owns it!

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Just another lunatic's rant

If he's so gawd damned bothered, why not put up his own page to demonstrate Mozilla's embracing of these yet unratified standards. What world does this idiot live in? Obviously one where everything is free and capitalism is an unknown word.

But, it's much easier to say, "fuck you" to Apple and SJ, and it's quite a popular phrase these days.

It's just a fucking demo.

The best thing would have been to put up a page that *only* Safari supported and all others didn't - it wouldn't have been difficult to put a page up with things only Safari supported. Then this idiot would have at least had something real to complain about.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

A heaping helping of FUD

The mozilla team shouldn't have to put up their own demo site.

The whole point of something like HTML5 is the fact that it is VENDOR NEUTRAL.

You shouldn't have to slap "safari only" or "mozilla" on the demo site.

Apple's demo site is just an attempt to slander everyone else.

Of course the Apple faithful are just eating it up. Hopefully no one else will.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@Jedidiah

HTML5 is not ratified. When ratified it will be vendor neutral only in as much as each vendor *chooses* to support the standard or not. Not all will support it entirely, but that's not the point here. People need to start understanding that HTML5 will provide some great things - here is a sample.

The anti-Apple crowd (to use your logic) are foaming at the mouth over a fucking demo, but if Apple had put up a site that didn't rendor (remember, it's not ratified this standard) in every single browser perfectly and the same as in Safari, that same group would be foaming at the mouth over the fact that "Apple intentionally tried to slander other browser manufacturers".

It's a fucking demo. I've worked in loads of companies and every single demo is just that, a demo - it's not perfect, and comes with a strict script from which you *never* deviate.

5. albsure

damn... context people!!!

The man from Mozilla .. he say no!!

Why does he think that a company should spend time promoting other companies products as if the tech world is some big charity? What a loon..

The context of Apple's html 5 demo is simple. While everyone (Mozilla/Google/IE) were all sitting on the fence, Apple was getting pulverised by Adobe and the "free" press for not supporting Flash. The fact that Flash has NEVER existed in any usable form for any mobile device for 3 yrs was a small insignificant point.. Western culture HATES success, and Apple is the latest success figure to hate.

Anyway, Apple thought it best to inform the world that they support a standard way of doing things on the web called HTML5. And they feel that it can do enough of what Flash does to show consumers that they dont need Flash to survive in this new mobile world. So Apples intention was to show that this is what they believe in. And to stop any ambiguity, i.e. some demo's might not work on all browsers in the same way (because the HTML5 standard is still being implemented by browser dev';s).. Apple makes sure that they show that the products they ship (i.e. Mac. Iphone/Ipad etc..) will run this stuff in Safari, because thats the product they ship.

THAT IS IT... nothing sinister, nothing crazy...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

@albsure

Finally, a rational comment! Well done, couldn't have said it better myelf (and obviously didn't).

2. Sim~
      Coffee/keyboard

um

Instead of blocking access to other browsers, they could of just put up a message saying they recommend Safari for the demo as that is what they tested it on. Instead of stretching the truth they could of said its not just purely HTML5 in the demo. Of course, everybody is ignoring the fact he saved his real anger for Google, who fully deserve it for their spin.

As for IE, I'm looking forward to 9, but I won't be using HTML5 for another 2 years or more.

1. captain veg Silver badge

could of

Sim~,

AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! It's could HAVE. Are you completely brainless?

Otherwise, totally agree. Except for your second paragraph.

-A.

3. Adam Williamson 1
      FAIL

That, way over there, was the point

The whole point is that putting up a site which requires you to use a specific browser is completely the wrong way to go about claiming you support a _standard_.

And you conveniently avoid the other major point, that Apple's demo is not a demo of HTML5, but a demo of HTML5 and CSS3 and some other junk that has nothing to do with either.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Get a move on.

Whine, whine, whine as is the prevalent wind on The Reg forums.

What's holding back this push to HTML5 is know-it-all web designers arguing amongst themselves trying to make their voice heard to the W3C. And over trivial matters too! Who really cares if Apple blocked your precious Firefox/Opera/Chrome/IE from viewing the site? If you make websites for a living you should have Safari installed. In that case, view it in Safari, agree that it actually looks nice, will produce some much needed dynamics in web design and pressure the rest of the browser devs to implement it in their products.

Personally, I don't mind who does it - Apple, Google, Microsoft, Mozilla, whoever - but someone needs to get off their arse and actually start creating proper demos. And, personally, I agree with the blocking of browsers.To push this stuff forward we need proof of a high quality working product. I'd back any other browser developer if they did the same. At the end of the day this stuff (if it makes the final draft) will all be open anyway! If we all moan and bicker we're not going to get anywhere and where's the point in that!?!

All we've (largely) had so far about HTML5 is what it can potentially do. Like it or not, Apple's got a big enough voice to start raising awareness of this tech. As soon as consumers pick up on (and hopefully want) this stuff more and more devs will need to get it into their browsers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

anonymous troll is anonymous

Wow this is so wrong it's painful. Every sentence is wrong. I'll respond to the least ridiculous one only.

"... I agree with the blocking of browsers.To push this stuff forward we need proof of a high quality working product."

Proof would be in the fact the other browsers failed to render it, this would be achieved by NOT blocking them from accessing the demo. Having got around the block and tried other nightly browsers, it would seem they perform very well indeed. FYI, other browsers support browser independent demos and tests, its about standards, not your little toys. Have you even looked other demos??

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Every automobile manufacturer does the same

"Only in our car can you avoid losing control on wet roads" etc etc etc. It's all about marketing to gain market share.

8. mittfh
    Linux

Lynx

Allows you to view almost all of the useful content (i.e. text), but with none of the crud (images, videos, sounds, crazy fonts etc.)

Go on, you know it makes sense :)

9. StareClips.com
    Alert

This article is short sighted...

At this point, an standards compliant IE is vaporware. Until it actually exists and is in the hands of many, it will be no more standards compliant than IE8 was promised to be. Even the "compatibility mode" in IE8 didn't actually render sites the same way IE7 used to, and this was the whole point of "compatibility mode" in the first place.

As for Google and Native Client... does this guy not understand that a Native Client plugin will exist for all other browsers. Sure, it's in Chrome... but it's in lock-down... under severe testing. It isn't in the stable release and on by default, so for that matter, he might as well say that Native Client isn't in *any* browser yet.

Once Native Client is officially in Chrome, it will automatically exist for IE via the IE Chrome Frame plugin. This plugin also technically works in FireFox, though it hasn't been officially released for it yet. As for Safari... well, I don't know what the story is with Safari.

At the moment, when using various HTML5 tests, the latest dev build of Chrome (in Windows, at least) is the MOST HTML5 compliant browser available... and this guy is griping about Google's talk of HTML5?

I wasn't *once* convinced by Google that Native Client is some sort of open standard. The reason Google likes HTML5 is because it makes web applications more like machine applications, with the local storage (allowing offline modes) and the deeper ability to interact with local interfaces. Native Client exists to close the gap, when the highest level of performance is needed from the CPU or GPU. For instance, you're not going to make QUAKE using HTML5, but it has already been ported to Native Client.

From my view, HTML5 and Native Client really *are* the future. Application developers who want to make, say, 3d games... can just write their games in C++... and, using Native Client, can get people to play their games within the web browser for a window (or in full screen mode, since browsers support this as well). No need to "install" or "uninstall" software. HTML5 gives all of the basic features any online/offline web-based application would need when it doesn't need the type of processing power that 3d games would require.

It sounds to me like this guy just wants to complain about everyone else and leave Mozilla's lack of true leadership out of the picture.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like