back to article Steve Jobs unveils iPhone 4

Steve Jobs has introduced the next-generation iPhone, prosaically known as the iPhone 4. This wasn't unexpected, but the Apple chief did reveal a number of features not mentioned in pre-release leaks. Jobs unveiled the handset at the company's Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco, and since the man won't actually let …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Android

The nexus one has an FM transmitter/receiver built into the broadcom bluetooth/wifi chip ... just no driver for it lol

Happy

@matt 115

Why would it need a driver? Every Android owner knows everything about everything - it's expected they all would just write their own, so that way it would be customised because let's face it when someone makes decisions about software, they are fascists!

FAIL

ok...

so we know what spec the iphone will now be for the next 18 months, and its only going to be 3G, 5mp camera. The only real selling point is better motion sensor.

Compare to what HTC already has out there with the EVO (4G, 8mp camera) - seems the iphone is out of date before its on the shelf.

Then the real killer - HTC seem pushing out new better phones every 3 months. So potentially HTC/android will be 6 generations ahead by the time the iphone 5 is near.

seems like the end is near for the iphone era.

Grenade

18 months?

Erm, I think you'll find that Apple release hardware update yearly.

What is the point of having 4G (outstanding battery life on the EVO, just awesome) if it is't going to be fully available for at least another 3 years? Shit, the 3G networks struggle to cope with the increase in traffic as it is.

Elementary physics will inform you that the amount of pixels on a sensor is only a measure of the image size, not the quality; for that you need a decent lens.

It has taken 'til about 6 week ago for Android devices to really surpass the iPhone, and it'll be at least 10 month before it'll happen again.

Seems to me that your hubris is as short lived as your iPhone prediction is...

Silver badge

re: 18 months

"Elementary physics will inform you that the amount of pixels on a sensor is only a measure of the image size, not the quality; for that you need a decent lens."

Actually the number of pixels does relate to the quality, and not in the way you expect. After a while the craze of upmanship produces a sensor with photosites so small the amplification has to be cranked up to see in even moderate light. The more amplification the more noise. More than 4 or 5 megapixels on the tiny sensors they have in phones is pretty pointless.

At least Apple have finally put a flash of sorts on the damn thing, I was getting fed up of facebook pictures ("uploaded from my iphone") of silhouettes!

So at last it's caught up with my old N95... Assuming it has a good lens of course. Mine says Carl Zeiss.

Now we just have to see if this new gift from the gods can actually make it past 4pm without crawling crying to a power socket.

Thumb Down

by 18 months...

I mean from now, 6 months until its well stocked world wide, and then 12 months of sales.

Yes, the iphone 5 will be announced this time next year, but it will be nearly xmas 2011 before its well stocked world wide i bet.

Silver badge

Pixels

The noise level of an image is a function of the sensor's size.

The detail level of an image is a function of the pixel count.

The dynamic range decreases as pixels get smaller, but not by as much as you'd expect.

All other things being equal, more pixels are a good thing. Especially when in this case the pixel size hasn't changed, so the sensor has become larger. Image noise will therefore have decreased, since the "size" of the noise is now decreased relative to the size of the image.

The "quality" of an image is a function of both of these properties, and of the lens. The tiny lenses used in these things aren't very difficult to make. It is not uncommon to find numerous models in the digital camera world, with widely varying pixel counts.

Silver badge

I appreciate we're on a tech site

So we're in the realm of people who decide that the better thing is whichever has bigger numbers or more ticks in a table. Even playing that game, compared to the Evo the new iPhone has a higher pixel density, a faster processor (per the experience of the iPad), faster Wifi and, quite probably, a better GPU.

Of the two devices, it's also the one that can play Grand Theft Auto, Street Fighter 4, Call of Duty, etc. Sorry if I've strayed a bit too far into things consumers actually care about with this paragraph.

Coat

Let me be the first to say...

...that I, for one, welcome our next generation iPhone overlords.

Anonymous Coward

another big bag of fucking whoop

nothing new, just shit loads of catch-up. Steve, get a new job.

Go

El reg @ WWDC 2011

I wonder whether next year The Register could take the seat recently vacated by Gizmodo?

Bluetooth?

Does it have really basic functions like proper MMS and sending pictures or other items via bluetooth? Sod the bling, I don't care about apps - give me basic functionality.

Bluetooth?

Couldn't care less about MMS - it is a crap service far surpassed by email anyway.

But a resounding *YES* about Bluetooth.

Please - let us use Bluetooth like it's supposed to be used.

Pretty please?

Anonymous Coward

Eh?

Have to work with the carrier to get video calling working?

Oh, let me guess... The US networks can't do that yet either... Honestly... Of all the countries to develop your mobile device in, USA must be the worst! It's not wonder the SMS/MMS support was so bad when the first iPhone arrived, and continues to be a bit sub standard (but pretty).

I assume those of us in more advanced countries will have working video calling out of the box?

Well, I know it's the Reg, but...

looks like a pretty decent and nice looking phone to me.

Jobs Halo

Biggest mobile applications?

As a group, GAMES! What does iPhone 4 introduce? A proper 6 axis controller!

Simply a win. Sheer genius of focusing on your core market.

All the rest is just updating hardware to slightly ahead of the pack based upon what's available in the marketplace. Worthwhile, but nothing unexpected.

But a 6-axis controller and the APIs to use it, will sell an AWFUL lot of games. Happy devs, happy users, happy Apple at a 30% cut. (N.B. - the 30% cut of the App Store revenue really might make Apple work hard to create hardware that will move apps...)

Steve hasn't copied HTC, Moto, or Nokia. He has copied _Nintendo_, and stolen a march on the competition, once again.

I skipped the 3GS, but I'll be lined up for one of these on the 24th...

Re: Happy Devs

Until your apps get rejected...

WTF?

Not until I see it

I haven't watched the vid, but I'm massively sceptical about the advantages of this gyro.

Sure, it'll be a more accurate motion sensor (hands up who thought that there was a problem before?), but it can't possibly be Wii-esque as you need to see the thing you're holding in order to know what action you're performing.

You can't really have a reasonable (e.g.) tennis game, as after every swing you need to move the screen back in to a viewable position.

Or have I missed something?

Jobs Horns

Environmental requirements

how Jobsian that apple *requires* the correct environment for its phone ...

"Environmental requirements

* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F

(0° to 35° C)

* Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F

(-20° to 45° C)

* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

* Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

"

and isn't 35° C a tad on the cool side ? I mean, wouldn't the thing just cook in my pocket on a hot (for u.k.) day ?

Boffin

Seems OK

A: All manufacturers have such specs. My Wii, for example, and my Nokia E-series as well.

B: The operating temp is the one you want - and you won't be operating it in your pocket. After all, it's an iPhone so you will want everyone to see it. It'll be on your ear. Plus, they always build in some tolerance with t'specs.

C: I've lived in the UK and it would have to be a super hot day to reach 35 degrees. You guys take your shirts off at the first hint of sun and you're swimming in fountains at 25 degrees. However, in San Diego, anywhere in Australia and many other places besides, 35 will be a worry. More of a worry for the UK (and I don't mean this in a mean way) is the 0 degrees minimum operating temperature. It will be happy in your pocket then, but too many phone calls outdoors in the winter and it just might give up and hibernate.

WTF?

ouchies! No air miles collecters need apply

WTF!? Surley we must be missing something, those can't be the realistic temperatures? Maybe they are a "cover my arse" statement?

I've lived in Germany and Poland - both of which can easily spank the minimum operating temps AND then occasionaly the non-operating temps. More recently, i've done six months in South Africa and that can regularly go over the operating temp and even on rare occasion the non. Back in London, in winter the minimum will get passed frequently!

Really? If you travel and want to USE the phone, you cannot seriously buy it with these limits. Even turned off, its at a serious risk.

Silver badge
FAIL

Not a good buy in the tropics

Out here in the tropics it's often over 35C/95% during the wet season.

Joke

Emperor's New Clothes again

Whats the point of buying a phone with more pixels than the human eye can see? I dont want to pay for pixels too small for me to see!

Gold badge

So what?

It's funny, because people buy 1080p TVs and then sit so far away as to render the benefits pointless.

People buy bluray which has 24-bit audio (16-bit is considered good enough for consumers) yet many of the people listening will have hearing damage from going to nightclubs and gigs.

Sounds a nice bit of kit

on the hardware side, although can you remove the battery yet and swap it for a spare charged one or put in a higher-capacity one? The other really important question is can you wipe that poor OS and run Android on it?

Coffee/keyboard

Time to buy again

It does amaze me how the appletinis quickly toss the old version for the new version because it’s apple. Yes of course no one ever quickly tosses a windows version because it’s windows.

I’ll be laughing 6 months from now they will be tossing the IP4 for the IP4a. The IP4 will be sitting right next to the old iPad because the new one will be out before Q1 2011 and the appletinis will be in line yet again continuing to pollute the planet with their e-waste..

For those who think the price of the now "old" phones will remain that high ... check it again in a few days. They know you will be selling and the price will drop faster than a bird covered it BP crude.

Anonymous Coward

Sure about that?

A quick check shows the 16Gb 3G still selling for around £250-300. That's about 12 months after the 3GS has launched.

In fact I remember looking last year after the 3GS launched and they were selling for £400-500 (sometimes more).

For some reason Apple phones are holding their second-hand prices quite well, like the Macs do. No idea why.

Good luck finding your bargain.

Bronze badge

next, next gen iPhone.

I strongly believe their will be a new one next summer. There was a new one last summer, and the summer before that. The thing is, if you want one, how long do you wait? I skipped the 3gs, coz i new the 4 would be en route, but do i now skip the 4, coz the 4a (or whatever) will be out next year. Next year, do i not bother with the 4a, coz its liekly that in 2012, the iPhone5 will be released. All the while, the iOS will be being upgraded, and my (very) out of date phone wont be able to take advantage of any of the new features.

Im throwing my hat in for an Iphone 4, and then probably the one after the next, a new phone every 2 years seems reasonable to me.

quick tossers

I think AC is on crack. The number of mobile phone freaks who seem to have a new handset every couple of months astounds me.

iphone users probably churn hardware at a lower rate than average because Jobs simply doesn't turn out new models at the rate SE and Nokia do, so the lunatic fringe of gadget heads have to sit and wait, or jump ship.

And if skeletor has finally managed to deliver a smartphone with non-excremental battery life, I might have to finally succumb and join the collective, glad to see them actually emphasising a feature that is relevant. I think I have witnessed 1 person in my life ever attempting a video call, and I have yet to see a mobile phone camera that can match a 5MP Cyber-shot from 2003.

AF
Happy

2 year schedule expected...

Yep, I reckon there'll be an update next year (iPhone 4 S probably) and then iPhone 5 in 2012, iPhone 5 S in 2013 and iPhone 6 in 2014.

My reasoning for this is that these days, the majority of contracts are 18-24 months long. The iPhone wasn't subsidised, so everyone was able to upgrade to the 3G when they wanted - which put most people (not all) on an 18-24 month contract. When the 3G S came out, it was just a minor update - enough to entice people who didn't have a 3G already and keep the iPhone relevant in the rapidly changing mobile market, but not enough to annoy people already locked in (well, a few people whined, but they obviously hadn't understood what a mobile contract means). There was no point doing anything major until all the iPhone faithful were out of contract and could afford to upgrade again - which is this year.

Then the cycle starts again.

FAIL

Re: Time to buy again

You think upgrading when the latest handset comes out is exclusive to Apple? How silly, and given how seldom they release new handsets, even sillier.

BTW, your comment about pricing is not accurate either. I just sold my 2G iPhone with a scratched face for £130. The resale value of these phones is amazing!

Thumb Down

Dross.

So when are HTC going to release their next handset? It seems to me that it's almost a weekly occurrence! Apple's hardware update schedule with the iPhone has been yearly and there is no reason to anticipate that changing in the nex year. It seem to me that while there are some fanbois out there (for *both* platforms), the sensible ones will skip a release. I didn't buy the 3Gs, but I'll be swapping my 2 year old iPhone (that I can sell to O2 for ~£200) for this new version.

Happy

@AC

I'm with you, I skipped the 3GS but plan on getting this one. Silly to upgrade so often - it doesn't make your willy any longer just because you happen to *always* have the latest handset.

Urh
Coat

Isn't it curious...

...that Apple has this strange obsession with making its products oh so very thin, when so many of its user base are oh so very thick?

Mine's the double-breasted one. Yeah, the one with the padding.

Paris Hilton

Price of video chat

What I am interested is how this video chat will be priced. What if you want to call your buddy oversees who is on wifi also, will you be charged the standard international call fee? That would be just stupid, if you are on wifi anyways you could just use skype anyways.

RE: Price of video chat

If it's over Wi-Fi, there won't be a charge - you don't get charged for data over Wi-Fi (unless you have to pay for your wi-fi access). Over 3G, however, could be a different story. That could be why they need to work with the carriers for that functionality.

WTF?

International video calls

Apple have negotiated a special deal with carriers - calling a mate in Australia over wifi will cost you exactly the same as accessing an Autralian website over your wifi. Sure, there'll be some people moaning, but I think that's pretty good value.

Gold badge

Re: RE: Price of video chat

"If it's over Wi-Fi, there won't be a charge...."

Of course you'll be able to connect directly to the other iPhone* of your choice. If this turns out not to be the case and there's an iChat service in the middle, Apple will of course give this away for free.

I admire your confidence........

*New Apple "standard" for video chat remember? What did you think you'd be connecting to?

Paris Hilton

Is the *phone* part any good?

Does it hang onto calls better than my daughters' £30 PAYG mobile?

Will it have a better texting component?

How long before we see them on eBay for £800+?

Paris because she's been too quiet for too long...

This post has been deleted by a moderator

I'm no apple fan

but I do like the prospect of something other than the shitty plastic that most phones cases are made from.

But then scrapes & gouges on anything I own upset me (sad isn't it)

Perhaps other manufacturers will follow suit in this case (unintended pun)

OK I'm going back to ignoring the Apple hype machine (I much prefer android)

Happy

Looks Nice

I especially like the fast that the Apple phone now has some viable competition with HTC's Google Phone.

Let's look forward to some more oneupmanship in the candy bar phone arena.

For a bunch of people that don't like the iphone...

...you've sure spent some time commenting on it...

FAIL

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Haha heard it has multi-tasking after a bit of research "the way its meant to be done" on apples website means that each application will stop working as you exit it for the next but then you can go back and continue from where you left off on the old. Kinda a guys way of multi-tasking but doesn't look like apple users are getting any of the cool programs that have to run in the background like what android has anytime soon.

FAIL

When ever will you learn?

Did you stop reading at that bit? If you had carried on, you'd know that apps like skype (is that officially available for Android yet), spotify and other such apps will continue to function as expected. Nice try. Big FAIL though. HUGE.

WTF?

Was that directed at me?

@Anonymous Coward Did you stop reading at that bit? If you had carried on, you'd know that apps like skype (is that officially available for Android yet), spotify and other such apps will continue to function as expected. Nice try. Big FAIL though. HUGE

What about an app like settings profile lite, it runs in the background checking every 10 min on your position and will adjust the profiles (ring volume, wifi and many more) depending on location. If third party developers can actually have their apps run in the background that is multi-tasking if they just stop when your not looking at them then its just a pretty looking shortcut menu. happy to be corrected but it doesn't seem like the iphone has multi-tasking in the way every other device/computer does.

Multitasking

OS4 multitasking has several levels. At the most basic level, apps will pause when switching. For true multitasking, apps can register to use Core services that support multitasking. Oh noes, you can only multitask certain services! True, but the services are system level and efficient, as well as more secure than third party services would be, and better for your battery life too. In addition, apps that need to complete important non-service processes, they can register for time to complete the process in the background, so won't be paused (there is a time limit to this however).

Unhappy

960x640?

Grrrrrr...... another screen resolution for developers to have to deal with. Does this mean we're going to need 3 .xib files per view controller now?

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Video calling! New! Never before seen!

Is what the press will say. Some real Star Trek tech there, laggy video phones..

Oh wait, we've had video calling for years, and years, but nobody ever uses it. Infact, my current handset (htc magic) doesn't have a front facing camera, but my old phone does (sony ericsson p990). When was it ever used? Once, with a friend sat next to me.

This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums