back to article Grow-lamps roast Yorkshire dope farmer in his sleep

A West Yorkshire cannabis grower died of hyperthermia after halogen lamps in his illicit indoor dope plantation heated his house to a fatal 38°C, the Sun reports. Luke Holmes, 28, constructed "three foil-lined tents each containing marijuana plants", nurtured by a "battery" of halogens. He died in bed and was discovered by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ben Rosenthal
    Megaphone

RegisterFail

if the punishment for stupidity is death, worry.

2. Arnie
    WTF?

well he wouldnt have burnt his house down if.......

prohibition ended tomorrow.

Pot is so safe, lets do a test. give 1000 people a bag of peanuts and 1000 people a joint and we'll see who's hospitalised first.

Autoflowering weed in the greenhouse. 3+ crops per summer of proper strong weed.

"Thats why i buy my weed from no one, thats why they call me dr greenthumb"

We all have a duty to disobey unjust laws

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Stupid law

I've yet to meet an aggressive, violent stoner, but I've encountered a ton of people who get a few beers in them and think they're Rocky bloody Balboa. Potheads aren't the ones you need to be wary of.

Unless you count aggressive cases of the munchies, but having everything in your house that's edible eaten is preferable to being punched in the head by an aggro drunk and his lagered-up mates.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Troll

"I've yet to meet an aggressive, violent stoner..."

Maybe not, but most of the pot heads I've encountered both during the working day and out of office hours have been one or two steps back from reality, generally vague and not the kind of person I'd trust with an important job. A friend of the family smokes dope and she's paranoid, depressed and has mood swings. Stupid people.

2. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

skunk psychosis

I know no facts at all about this but is pot really harmless (within the bounds of acceptability)?

Is all the negative hoo-haa really just propaganda?

Or is this a case of "done right it's relatively harmless but done wrong it has awful and has far reaching consequences"?

How far does society have to go to protect those that cannot exercise judgement and those that they harm as a consequence?

The law is a blunt instrument; can it be made to work and so distinguish between mostly law-abiding stoners with green fingers growing their own and machete-wielding Yardies dealing to kiddies?

... dunno, pass the bong ...

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: skunk psychosis

"You may not know anything about the subject, but we bet you reckon something."

1. Anonymous Coward
            Happy

reckon something?

yeah, I just can't remember what it is ...

2. zenp
            Megaphone

...THC vs CBD and mental health...

...despite the usual 'flat earth news' style of reportage around this subject, there is still some sensible debate available, and even a few verifiable hypothesis. Best article i've read on the subject of psychosis vs the varying rates of THC and CBD in modern strains of cannabis and therefore the effect that weed, and the criminalization of weed, may have had on mental health, etc is here:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527446.100-its-lack-of-balance-that-makes-skunk-cannabis-do-harm.html

Don't worry, it's New Scientist, not High Times...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Just the one?

Wouldn't one each be better?

(Although ~¹⁄₁₀ of a peanut is still enough to cause problems for some…)

3. M Gale
      Badgers

Stoners will save the world.

They are relatively peaceful, have all the best ideas, and will put the world to rights!

And they'll do it all.. tomorrow!

3. kain preacher

38 c ?

I've been in Yuma Arizona were it hits between 40-49c in the summer. Night time it cools down to a mere 36c. oh and its %.001 humidity .The sweet evaporates so fast it barely cools you off. At night time the pool water is 26c.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

"...The sweet [sic] evaporates so fast it barely cools you off..."

The laws of physics are different there then?

Anyway - as per everyone else - Not drinking for extended periods of time in elevated heat will kill you, this will also exhacerbate heat stroke which in anything other than its most mild forms should be considered a medical emergency as it can be fatal.

4. Richard Scratcher

Title - name, heading, legend, label, caption, inscription

"Police officers almost fainted from the heat when they entered the property on a warm day last June"

Yeah, I remember that day, it was a Tuesday.

5. Adrian Esdaile
    FAIL

Give that man...

a Darwin Award!

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

That's only 100 degrees...

Almost fainted stepping in on a warm day? What a bunch of pussies.. you guys and your mild summers. Seriously, it gets up into the mid to upper 90s (about 36) here every single summer with high humidity too, and I don't almost faint every time I step outside. It got up to 120 when I was in Las Vegas (that is 49 celsius).

1. Mr Dixon
      Flame

RobJ

Wow - I'm impressed. You live somewhere hot.

Give that man a pat on the back!

7. Harry
    Happy

So now we know ...

... what those estate agents really mean when they advertise "this is a hot property".

8. Triggerfish

38'C heat

I've travelled in Asia with some Aussies from part of their desert, where they said temps would easily hit 50 or so, however they both said that they found the temp where we were at about 35-40 considerably more draining just because of the effects of humidity. High temp dry heat takes a lot less toll on your body compared with high humidity.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Bong on Pommie, Bong on, Bong on!!!!

I suppose that he also stayed in his 3 man nylon tent, on a hot sunny day. Helps cleans the aura too.

Less Dope heads = less space cadet losers..

10. Jason Yau
    FAIL

There's a reason

that it's called dope.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.