back to article Transport for London gobbles up Oyster

London's Oyster Card system is now owned by Transport for London, which stumped up £1m for the brand as well as considerably more for the associated infrastructure. TranSys, which has been running the Oyster system since 1998 under a Private Finance Initiative, took on £190m of debt at the start. That debt was due to be paid …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spare me the innovation

TfL have managed to turn a seriously simple to understand pricing structure for cards and per zone fares into one where you have to dig through their leaflets or site to find the price tables, rules and hidden catches (naturally attracting a finger-wagging 'penalty' charge) that cover each of the ever proliferating journey 'types'.

Take a train from a national Rail station outside your period travelcard zone and you have to microscopically examine an entirely new breed of bureaucratic weaselspeak to work out the hoop jumping required not to get nailed for a 6 quid odd 'naughty boy' fee.

But what really takes the piss is charging those of us who don't buy monthly/yearly travelcards the full whack at weekends, then shut down half the system for "investment works" or whatever new treacle coated term the lynx-scented pricks in the weaselspeak department have decided to call engineering works this week.

The only advantage of turning themselves into a bank would be to give us another clear and unequivocal reason to detest them. Perhaps they ought to stick to running a transport system to a reasonable standard and acceptable price, which ought to keep them busy for a century or so.

1. Rob Davis
      Thumb Up

Telling it how it is...

...with delicious descriptions. Very enjoyable read.

2. Maurice Shakeshaft
    Big Brother

Hmmmm...

I've never had an Oyster card and wouldn't know what to do with one if it was thrust upon me. I'm in London infrequently enough to not have to need one - I suspect. The disparity in cost must be down to either the money the system owners make out of selling Oyster card users details or it is just too much hastle for people like me challenge the theft.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

this is a title

Somehow I do have an extreme distrust towards Transport Failure London when it comes to using the oyster as paycard @ other places...

Rather trust a bank on that than them muppets.

Also, I can pay everywhere I want with my debit/credit card (well, maybe not cabs or so), so don't really see the point in extending the oyster card to be a pay card anyway.

Apart from that, I can already see this coming up

*Pays with oyster card*

*Signal failure on line to payment processing servers, payment suspended*

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like