Feeds

back to article Segway + motorbike = futuristic dorkmobile

Just when you thought that the Segway "self-balancing personal transportation device" concept had finally had a stake driven firmly through its überdorky heart, it's baaaack. But now you have a place to sit, and not be forced to stand up as must a Segway-mounted policeman, paramedic, or polo player. Taurus concept vehicle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Well...

At least you can sit down on this version. On the other hand, you can also sit down on a moped, which is half the price, twice as fast and doesn't require the services of Lembit Opik to dick around highlighting its dubious legality.

Gates Horns

Close

Get one big wheel on the back and pump the speed to abut 175mph and I'll start to get interested.

Grenade

ALERT: this post contains pendantry

You don't steer a motorcycle by leaning off it. A motorcycle is steered by rider pressure on the handlebars (known as countering steering) causes the bike to lean due to the precessional forces at work on the front wheel.

After the Segway it was only a matter of time before some genius decided that even standing up was too much effort. Good name though. Taurus, bull...apt.

Silver badge
Boffin

You can't counter-steer it...

... and you can't get your knee down either!!

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Pedantic pedantry pedanticized

"You can steer the vehicle by leaning much as you do when steering a motorcycle"

Did they mean *YOU* leaning off the motorbike, or leaning the motorbike? Because the latter is definitely how you tend to go around corners at speed (except offroad or with a sidecar rig).

ALERT: this post also contains pendantry

"You don't steer a motorcycle by leaning off it"

...except you do, most of the time. The centre of gravity of the rider's body is what controls the bike. That, and the tyre profile. Counter steering is an optional, supplemental technique that exagerates the shift in COG by forcing the tyre profile into a sharper lean. So there. :p

Anonymous Coward

Nonnymouse...

Looks like something you might be able to find on some of the more, ummm, interestingly adult websites. I wonder if it comes in a sybian edition?

Unhappy

Oh.....

Damn! You beat me to it!

Grenade

I see it already has mounting locations for weaponry

obviously twin chain guns would be the optimum choice for pedestrian devastation, but just watch someone fit it up with nerf guns and smoke grenades

Obviously what is needed is a trike

Obvious from these photos, as from the Segway, what you need is a third wheel, and a trike. All the energy being spent on balancing could then go to locomotion. Improve load capacity as well.

Appropriate name, given the Ford version

The Ford Taurus. Bloated, slow, badly-engineered, too heavy for its underperforming engine, ineffective brakes caused by crap suspension design, and needed refuelling every hour. Oh, and designed for Yanks.

So pretty much what we've got here, except for the top speed and the number of passengers.

Welcome

Hmmmm

The front of iit makes it look suspiciously like a wheeled Geth Armature (Mass Effect). I for one, etc...

Grenade

On current roads it'd be fun (not)

At 15mph, every pot hole you hit will tip you sideways, unless you are lucky enough to live where roads are flat, or pot holes are wide with nicely ramped sides.

On a push bike, you need just a inch of flat to work with and on a motorbike, two/three inches will do. On both these, you do have to take into account where the rear wheel will go, but that's pretty easy to get spot-on or at least close enough and anyway, dropping the rear wheel in a hole is not the end on the world on inline wheels.

However, with this beast...how'd you like to be tipped sideways, into the path of that vehicle that just couldn't find the room to give you some fall over space?

Braking?

If you have to make a quick stop at a decent speed, it looks like you will fall flat on your nose. On a Segway, you can put a foot forward to stop the fall, but that doesn't seem practical on this monstrosity. Maybe it has a built-in airbag at the front of the seat?

Go

piston

if you look theres a couple of pistons and a front leg, after maximun power is absorbed though braking the central column starts to lean forward the seat stays horozontal sending momentum though the pistons the the leg on the floor.

I guess it doesnt reach a speed where max braking would result in either the pistons collepsing fully(knee grinding fun)

Thumb Down

All i can see happening

here is a series of nasty head injuries.

As soon as the battery gives, so does the gyro, POW - faceplant.

(Speaking from personal experience - even at 7mph onto grass, it hurts like ****)

1. Buy Taurus

2. Flat Battery

3. Head injury

4. ???

5. Profit!

Oz

Completing the list

"1. Buy Taurus

2. Flat Battery

3. Head injury

4. ???

5. Profit!"

6. Class law suit

7. Bankruptcy

Joke

I've seen this before.....

Did Mr Garrison's idea finally make it to production? It seems so.

Go

I dont know why. . .

. . but i really really want one !!!!!

Happy

Vroom Vroom!

It really needs go-faster stripes and a salesman wearing wellies and a deerstalker hat. And accompanied by an Olde English Sheepdog.

Paris Hilton

Yes, i'd like to ride what's in the picture

But I'm a bit worried about that prong sticking out beneath. It just looks all wrong.

Pretentious hit on the way

As long as they make it really f-ing expensive all of the pretentious people with no personalities will buy one. Even more will long for it if they somehow work the price into the name of it. LOOK HOW MUCH I PAID FOR THIS BROKEN TRICYCLE!!! Doesn't it make me cool????

Then they can fashion some smug group around the "trike$20k" where they can all get together and congratulate each other on how cool they may be.

your right

just call it a iTaurus and lots of people are bound to buy it ..

Silver badge

does anyone else think she looks

very uncomfertable?

Joke

Passive stability...

If you've seen the stability equations for suspension-equipped motorcycles alone, you would be stunned. The thing has derivative equations on 4th degree to determine its stabilty (in short, it is a scary math even to describe it), including suspension's lunge forward effects when you brake and so forth. It is so bad, that no self-driven motorcycle exists, because the computing power required to solve it in real-time can´t be carried in it (yet). But, every human that ever learned how to ride a bike can solve these equations with their hips, hands, knees, and back, quite literally. No, really, people design different motorcycles for racing every year, because no one ever found the perfect and ultimate solution for those. Ducati and Honda every now and then (and some independent racers/builders too) have a glimpse of the solution, but no.

Now take off one wheel and redo all the equations. It is bound to cause severe injury to the untrained ass (pun intended) that tries to ride it. I bet you can´t park that thing in San Francisco and turn the gyros off., without laying it flat on the ground.

Even a regular bike would have a hard time parking on a street like those found in SF, I guess.

Feel free to correct me if the equations part is wrong, for my memory is loose and lost the front wheel (exactly what this thing looks like near a real bike).

Thumb Down

Lame!

FFS, What's wrong with the god damn pushbike? If I wanted an electric way to travel around I would buy a YIKEBIKE (http://www.yikebike.com/), not this pile of crap. At least the Yike looks a bit like a bike.

But since I can't justify spending $5K on an electric bicycle, I'll pedal away on my $300 Kmart special :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.