back to article Game developer's lost electric buggy FOUND ON MOON

A lost, broken-down solar/nuclear robot rover left on the Moon by the Soviet space programme - and nowadays owned by a wealthy computer game developer and space tourist - has been precisely located by NASA's new moon-mapping satellite. NASA LRO imagery showing tracks and final resting place of Lunokhod-2 NASA: Lunar lost …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but...

What's the betting it's been Wheel Clamped?

2. max allan

Apollo missions?

Will we finally be able to see that people really went to the moon and the bits and bobs Apollo missions left behind?

Of course, if NASA could fake the moon landing videos presumably they can fake some photos of the site from orbit.

I can just about believe we made it, I can't believe we've never been back.

"Grr" to space exploration policies.

3. Jon Robinson

isn't it on Streetview yet?

come on, I mean clearly google aren't big enough if they haven't already streetview/mapped the moon as well as the earth, and there's only the one road there anyway (you can see the tracks).

4. gautam
    Paris Hilton

What abt US junk?

I mean the fluttering flag and other debris ? Surely they were there? Does it mean Soviets made it and US faked it?

Pairs, cos she's no fake.

5. mandaliet
    Alien

Lunar Cod

Around the time of the Lonokhod mission, the UK telly news was also full of the Icelandic Cod War. So in my tiny eight-year-old brain I began to believe that while the Icelanders were trying to chase our trawlers away, the Soviets had found fish on the moon. What can I say, I had only recently disentangled Houston (we have a problem) from Euston (where the night sleeper to Glasgow goes from).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Imperialist Maps

It never ceases to amaze me how The Russians had such a lack of resources and technological edges and still got by pretty well. It's a bit like looking at the demo scene where people are still doing amazing things on commodores 64. Yes, there's fancier stuff around, but knowing the hardware it's quite amazing what people can make it do. In that respect, most of our current hardware and software doesn't do half it could do. Which just goes to show how we don't get to go to the moon now and The Russians did, thirty years ago.

7. Fremma

How much?

So how much did he pay for the buggy at auction? Was it a case of he happened to be passing Southeby's at the time and paid out a couple of quid for a lark or did he bankroll an entire ex-Soviet state for the next decade?

8. Solomon Grundy
    Joke

Why are there never any colour photos?

I just took that comment from the NASA site, which is filled with some of the funniest things I've ever read (well, maybe not ever, but they still make me feel a little smarter).

If you're bored enough to slog through all of them, it's worth it: http://comments-submit.nasa.gov/commenting1/Comment.do?uiAction=listComments&location=http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html&siteID=245441819

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.