back to article Microsoft cuts out paste

Windows Phone 7 Series won't be able to cut and paste, as Microsoft continues to create something with all the limitations of the iPhone and little of the charm. Microsoft has confirmed comments made at MIX10 that Windows Phone 7 Series devices won't be able to cut and paste between applications - apparently users don't want …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Big-nosed Pengie

FFS!

Stop giving them ideas!

1. Dennis 6
    WTF?

It's a good job that Micro$oft...

...actually exists because no-one could make this stuff up. An OS launching in 2010 with no cut and paste! Wonderful!

2. Andy Livingstone

Not the first time it has been dropped.

They probably thought that after removing it from Windows Live Messenger without complaint it would not matter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Windows Live Messenger?!

That's obviously because No Body (esq.) uses it anymore...

3. Paul R
    Gates Horns

Just to clear something up

MS have stated that *at the moment* they haven't included Cut & Paste as a *system wide* function. There is nothing stopping app developers including such a function within their own apps (I.e. Word processors etc), and nothing stopping MS realising what a MONUMENTAL failure this decision is.

That being said, I've been an MS phone user since my old SPV e200 7 years ago, and have enjoyed each device I've had. Until now I have not seen any reason to move away from WM. Now ... definitely an Android based phone for me next. Waiting until the 26th for T-Mobile to release the HTC Desire/Bravo. :)

1. Charles Manning

wtf?

Sure any app developer can implement cut-n-paste **within** their app but that's incredibly limiting. 90% of your cut-n-pastes are between apps, esp from or to email.

4. Tankut Erinc
    Coat

Oh dear..

No side-load, no multi-task and now no cut/paste? What gives? I thought WM7 were to be a smartphone, not just an Xbox extension with Zune tidbits.

Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll stick with the clunky old dear, ye olde WinMob 6.5.

.. and probably/eventually switch to Android when a decent Outlook desktop sync thing shows up (not just contacts, but todo's, notes, calendar, mail as well - the whole boring PIM shebang).

1. DrXym

Windows Mobile - lame duck

It's amazing. I have a Compaq PocketPC which is about 8 years old. It multitasks and it has copy and paste. It's running the same Windows CE codebase that I presume Windows Mobile 7 is derived from but without the benefits of 8 years of improvements. So what the hell gives?

IMO Microsoft have seen Apple's in-roads into phone land and redefining the user interface and have decided the only way they can compete is not by revamping Windows CE / PocketPC but by slapping a Silverlight layer over it and pretending the existing UI doesn't exist at all. i.e. they're keeping Windows CE for the basic services but building everything else that lives on top. In the long term maybe that would work but it means they've junked a lot of useful functionality in the short.

I think the situation is worse for MS because they licence their OS to phone vendors and they're not competing with Apple but with Android. Android is an all singing, all dancing phone OS that does do multitasking and other good things and does them well. And its free. Unless Microsoft pull the rabbit out of the hat and integrate a deal breaker (e.g. a pocket XBox platform or something) they are seriously going to get screwed for the next year until they fix their code and their model.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Why...

...but Apply, Microsoft when you can but a FULLY functioning, open device from Nokia without stupid ideas such as turning off "paste" and being able to write anything, load anything without asking Jobs' or Gates' permissions first...

6. Keyzer Suze

Why

I was lost at its windows,having been a window mobile user before, never again. Currently have a ipaq - don;t use, also have a iphone - main phone, only until a newer nexus phone comes out, sick of companies trying to lock me into there stuff.

7. CWinne
    FAIL

Seriously?

My Samsung Omnia had Cut&Paste running Windows Mobile 6... Used it constantly since the virtual keyboard left much to be desired. Switched to the Motorola Droid a few months ago. Sounds like I got out of the WinMo game just in time!

8. Sinick
    FAIL

YAY

I WAS pissed off that my HTC HD2 would not be able to run WinMo7.

NOW I'm going to sit back and revel in my sense of schadenfreude (and my cut/copy/paste).

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Terrific engineering, boys

Instead of developing a general copy & paste solution that would work for every use case, they spend probably an equal amount of effort on some one-off nonsense about phone numbers and addresses.

This is the DEFINITION of "hacky."

1. Solomon Grundy

Use Case

Haha. You said use case. Just getting into IT are you?

10. Grumpytom

Never

Never used C&P on my iPhone, am I a muppet? (mind you I never used my twitter account and I found facebook a bore and that was in 2006!)

Can't actually recall ever having the need, and that's in 18 months or more of having the device, I remember them adding it to the system, in the dim and distant.

Hate to admit it but maybe M$ are more right than wrong.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

iPhone cut and paste

Except, of course, that the iPhone has had cut and paste for quite a while now...

12. Andy Bright
    Flame

Really?

/rant

"It's just a shame we'll have to carry a pencil and paper until then." No.. it's just a shame we'll not be using Microsoft's mobile products at all any more. Because the market has what I like to call alternatives. That also applies to the iShite, the piece-of-shite-berry or whatever.

Anyway I digress. I won't be one of those retards that loyally backs a corporate manufacturer to the point that I will put up with unnecessary limitations. I use an android phone at the moment and there is absolutely no issue with implementing touchscreen cut and paste at all. But if I find that it becomes too annoying to carry 40 batteries in order to get enough power to last a business day on standby, then I will drop kick my HTC Eris into the nearest toilet and get a Crackberry or Treo or whatever.

To me if you are so retarded and sycophantic that you think any of these wankers gives a shit about you, you deserve everything you get the next time they screw you over. Every corporate is the same. Apple are most definitely no better than Microsoft, who are most definitely no better or worse than Google. Or Palm. Or RIM. They're all cunts and so are the network providers these cunts use. Treat them the way they'll treat you. If they do ANYTHING you don't like, hand them back their device and tell them how shite their OS is for doing it. Make sure they understand that their arrogance has and will cost them customers. We give these pricks the privilege of being their customer. It's time all of us started remembering this and dropping them as soon as they show they don't agree.

\rant

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well HTC managed to do it...

My HTC HD2 has probably the best implementation of copy/cut & paste I've ever seen on a mobile device.

Another nail in the coffin for WinMo 7. Mine's an Android in 2012.

14. nichomach
    FAIL

Owwwwwwwwwwww....

Un-be-frickin'-lievable! They really are determined to fail awesomely.

15. ChefDude
    Jobs Halo

Is it so bad?

The only time I come a cropper is typing in 63 character wifi keys - copy 'n paste is quite useful then ;-)

16. Risky
    Joke

Patent

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

Have they checked if Apple have a patent on "mobile computing devices partially crippled by the removal of the cut and paste feature"???

17. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

One step back

Hey, I happen to use cut and paste, particularly inter-application, a lot on my WinMo 6 phone!

Congrats Ballmer, you've just driven your Mobile OS's (de)volution back to the 90s. What's next, removing Office mobile and multi-tasking?

I remember paying $$$ for the ability to multi-task (albeit flakily), cut and paste between apps, and for a mobile office suite when I had a Sony Clie UX50 which ran Palm OS 5.2. Am I expected to do the same when I switch from WinMo 6 to 7?

Penguin. Because Linux phones can do more than WinMo 7 could.

18. VictoriaBCguy

Can Apple sue?

Will Apple sue microsoft for not doing the same things they don't do?

I'm just wondering...

19. Shonko Kid
    FAIL

It's like they picked up the wrong list

Ballmer and Co must've sat and drawn up two lists, one headed 'things iPhone does that we must copy' and the other 'things the iPhone doesn't do that we must laugh at in press releases' and they've gone and implemented the wrong list!

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sockets

Nobody wants to write apps that use sockets either apparently.

21. Greg D
    Thumb Down

dont bother

Switch to Android, your life will be much better because of it.

22. Rogerborg

I worked as a multi-platform mobile apps developer for 7 years

And in that time, not once did I see any developer use any Windows Mobile device for one second longer than strictly required to complete their work. We hates them, precious, we hates them forever.

Microsoft have no idea about mobile handsets, never did, and never will. They used to think they were just mini desktops; now apparently they think they're making a DS. Except people actually like Nintendo.

23. Martin Nicholls
    FAIL

Win.

Been buying windows mobile phones for years. Looks like my current one is the last I'll be buying.

HTC Desire is looking good about now.

What's next, remove the exchange support?

24. pctechxp
    Thumb Up

@Andy Bright

Here here but I'd watch your blood pressure as you sound like a very angry man.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't care less

I wouldn't buy a Microsoft phone in a million years, and the news that the new ones are worse than the old ones simply confirms that I'm continuing to make the right decision.

26. CS3000

iPhone cut and paste

There was no technical reason why cut and paste was not in the first iPhone OS.... They took there time trying to find the best user interface in implementing it.

And as far as I can see its a verry nice interface too.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like