Feeds

back to article BT blamed for Davina McCall spamcalls

BT has rejected accusations that it wrongly engaged in sales calls by leaving subscribers voicemail messages telling them about all the great work it does for charity. The Reg was contacted by an angry reader who found a message from Davina McCall on his 1571 voicemail telling him about BT's sponsorship of the Sport Relief …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Lost in Showbusiness

Let's see...

Not funny, terminally unfunny, pointless little carbon sink, buttock-clenchingly unfunny, Irish and yet still unfunny, 'chocolate or cherry?' 'Shotgun please', not that funny actually.

Think of them as a bunch of overpaid Butlins entertainers on wheels.

Is it wrong to wonder if they'll hit a big truck coming the other way?

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

I thought TPS for land and mobile services only covered...

Unsolicited marketing and sales calls from parties that you have had no previous relationship with.

This is why I still get all sorts of telephone marketing and sales crap from Barclaycard (and I do mean TONS of it). I have used the contact preferences section on their website and have carefully unticked ALL potential options that could lead to me receiving this shit... but to no avail.

The best of all though had to be Citibank who tried to sell me a credit card that I already had - the Indian call centre wallah was too stupid to check beforehand, and had neither the competence in English to understand my responses, or deviate from his script.

I had many minutes of fun taking the piss out of him.

Paris Hilton

Daft

Silly BT.

Silly, silly, silly.

But then again I believe that it shows what little respect BT has for its customers.

I wonder if BT still views customers as something derogatory rather than something to be respected?

FAIL

Oh That's what it was!

I did get a spam message on my voicemail the other day, but it was so obviously not a genuine message that I pressed 3 straight away. I had no idea what it was about.

It's like when you get one of those prerecorded calls that begin with an American female saying "Congra...". I've put the handset down next to the radio before she gets to the end of the word.

Bronze badge

Naked ADSL

So I take it there's no such thing as "Naked ADSL" in the UK? Where you get ADSL on a rented POTS line but with *no* telephone service?

Anonymous Coward

BT will try anything

I left BT 2 years ago and specifically called them to tell them to remove me from marketing lists, specifying the different form of communication, lest there be any doubt what 'all' meant. They immediately started bombarding our address with remarkably accurate 'to the occupier' mails, which naturally went binward without a second glance.

Fresh from their department of 'interpret the marketing regs till they bleed' comes their latest wheeze; a mailing addressed to me, but just with a general building address, rather than specific flat number, and lacking my middle initial - both of which appeared on the bills and marketing in the past. Pathetic. I suppose they would claim error/another mr xyz etc, etc, etc. Their site claims they will not contact you if you are on MPS. The flat is, but the building with my name clearly isn't, and I guess thats what they think of as a 'legitimate' workaround.

I'm surprised they don't send an 'engineer' round on the pretext of checking the physical line, then try and flog me something - after all, thats what the gas and electricity weasels have done for years.

If there's a hell, its run by marketing types on a busmans holiday.

BT spam

My home number still has a business DSL attached (work pays for it) and I get calls from BT roughly every three days asking if I would be interested in moving from Virgin to a BT DSL service.

The BT business DSL has not worked for over a year and I keep asking the boss to cancel it.

I plan to move the DSL service from BT to a non business service such as BE or a business

sevrice such as zen but BT will not give out a MAC because the DSL is not in my name :-(

Gav
Unhappy

Because poor people are just not telegenic

I'm still unclear how "celebs" pedalling around the country manages to help those in need?

It seems to amount to the fact that we need someone we've seen on telly to do something difficult, but essentially totally pointless, before we can be bothered to give aid to someone in desperate and mortal need.

Perhaps this is why I find these television charitiy-thons such an utterly depressing reflection of human nature.

Zap
Thumb Down

BT stunts like this just create bad will.

I complained about this to BT because not only was I on TPS but I was registered with BT to receive NO CALLS WHATSOEVER. The TPS need to sort this because so many organisations are using charity as a way of marketing. As for BT well I moved by business lines away from them because they have generated bad will by delivering poor service and removed the ability for me to complain and escalate the problem when the call centre abroad can't deal with my issue.

Don't they get it, they are just creating bad will and as for the charity, don't expect any contributions EVER your name is mud along with BT.

Talk Talk abuse the TPS system when you use their Broadband lien check facility, again it just stops me referring them (I referred 43 customers last year).

The problem is that the toothless OFCOM does nothing and then they think they can all do it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.