back to article BBC to cull radio stations, halve websites in painful biz review

The BBC reportedly plans to axe its 6 Music and Asian Network radio stations, cull 50 per cent of its websites and reduce spending on American TV shows next month. According to a story in today’s Times, which cites BBC Trust sources, Beeb director-general Mark Thompson will admit in March that the Corporation is bloated and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. fords

6 Music has to stay

I recently went back to listening to 6 Music during the day now that Lamb has bogged off (epic fail BBC for thinking us ladies would swoon over the badger haired twonk). My favourite show is still Craig Charle's show and there really isn't anything out there that matches it. I read recently that 6 Music only costs £7 m a year to run - a pittance really.

Get rid of Switch, 1Xtra and Two Pints instead please!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Just the start

This is the BBC trying to take a pre-emptive strike before the Tories get in. Cameron used to work for the company that took ITV to its knees, Carlton. And Shadow Culture Minister Jeremy Hunt is so far up the backside of the big media owners he can see what they had for breakfast.

Hunt is the most dangerous man there, mark my words.

Commercial radio TV and Radio are screwed and its of their own doing. The owners have bought pressure to bear on the Tories. The Beeb is the easiest scapegoat I'm afraid.

3. Stephen 1
    WTF?

Save 6Music!

A fantastic radio station, it would be a crime against real music to scrap it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Save 6music!

How can the BBC expect anyone take up DAB when they cull the only thing they've put on there worth listening to? I got a Pure Highway for Christmas so I could listen to 6music in the car. That will go in the boot never to be used again if 6music goes.

Fingers crossed that 6music will be axed and the whole station renamed to Radio 1 and put on FM. Everyone associated with the current pile of twaddle that is Radio 1 should have no trouble getting a show on Another Generic Commercial Radio Station.

5. Bassey

6Music

Yet more evidence of the Beebs efforts to race towards the bottom end of the market. My favourite recent snippet from Radio 1 was a Newsbeat headline that started "Today, Gordon Brown, who is the Prime Minister of Great Britain.....".

I just thought that illustrated who the Beeb is targeting with Radio 1 perfectly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

to be fair

They could have been talking about that other Gordon Brown.

You know, the moron who flogged off all our gold extra cheap?

... oh wait.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Black Helicopters

Actually

It was "salted tungsten" with a gold coating. You can google it for the whole story but it has a D notice in the UK.

6. MJI Silver badge
    WTF?

I like the Friday Rock Show

It is on Freeview and Freesat, I record on a PVR, then stick it on a Minidisc, or burn to CD to listen to later.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get rid of R1 or one of those funny stations noone listens to

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Every time I get in to my car...

I feel the overwhelming urge to turn on my radio. Then I remember, it's shit!

The music's OK, but the crap spoken by the program hosts (DJs) is pure bollox, and it get worse when the let twats from the real world phone-in. Fuck me, they should be killed at birth. I'm not the least bit interested in anything you have to say, including...

"Can I just say hello to anyone who knows me?" NO, FUCK OFF click, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Kill all radio stations, even the commercial ones.

1. Barry Lane 1
      Unhappy

That reminds me...

When I was in my early forties and still listening to Radio 1, I was on a long drive oop north one day when I realised that the average Radio 1 DJ has an IQ somewhere below that of a goldfish (I apologise here to any really smart goldfish who might be reading this). Indeed, I suspect that the very ambition to become a radio "jock" should automatically bar any person from working in radio, television and the meejah in general.

We are in danger of the Murdochs of Mordor having their nasty way with the BBC. They have been cosying up to David Cameron in the hope that he can help them push the bloody awful Sky TV even further up our bottoms. I'd rather the BBC paid Jonathan Woss even more billions than suffer even a moment of bloody Sky.

If I were the BBC's Director General - you know, that guy who can't quite grow a proper beard - I'd tell our know-nothing MPs to bugger off and leave the BBC alone, not start committing suicide in stages.

8. Graham Bartlett

How to cut costs?

Simple. Sack every DJ earning over £100K. And take a long hard look at the contracts of any of them earning over £50K - to earn over that, you'd need proven audience-attraction.

For the price of Chris Moyles and his team for one show, you could fund the salaries of everyone on 6Music.

Perhaps we could even get some focus on other music too. Rock is the most enjoyed form of music in the country, but there's no dedicated national rock station. R1 plays vanishingly little rock, and its rock show is on a graveyard slot, and R2 only plays the more MOR-friendly stuff. And I know folk has a bad image, but the Cambridge Folk Festival gets over 5000 people, and Glasto's acoustic sets get a lot of attention too, so it's a bit ironic that folk only gets 1 hour a week on national radio.

9. breakfast Silver badge
    Go

Another thought...

So another thought I had - do these stations need to be running all night and all day? Could the BBC not save by chopping a bunch of stations from midnight to 6am? Where does this idea that every station needs to be playing constantly come from?

10. billium
    Black Helicopters

Please save 6 Music

6 Music is great .. please keep it, it costs < Jonathon Ross.

11. alistair millington
    Coffee/keyboard

Higher quality broadcasting

Ahahahahahaahahhahahahaahahhaha

Well that cheered up a dreary Friday afternoon.

Cheers

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@graham

One problem with your arguement.

"For the price of Chris Moyles and his team for one show, you could fund the salaries of everyone on 6Music."

Yup, but his show draws over 10x more listeners than the entire radio6 output. So going by your point, Radio6 must die.

"BBC 6 Music

Audience data for September 2009 to December 2009

TSA: This radio station broadcasts to a survey area of 51,280,000,000 adults (aged 15+).

Reach: It is listened to by 695,000 people (1%) each week"

Chris Moyles

...... "Chris Moyles show, which had 7.72 million listeners each week, up slightly from 7.7 million last quarter. "

1. Jerome 0

Powerful

Good lord, that's a pretty powerful transmitter, broadcasting to every single person on Earth and then another 44,480,000,000 other listeners besides. Makes you wonder who's listening in.

13. J-Wick
    Happy

God, you lot....

... are a bunch of old fogies, aren't you? I like both Moyles & the evening Radio 1 shows. Though I agree, real-world twats are all idiots. 'Stupid Street' is every street.

Isn't Steve Lamacq on 6Music? And I think I've seen Bruce Dickinson in the schedule too. Not quite to my tastes but not too far off.

Let's get rid of Switch, tweens already influence the media way too much...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What will they DO with my licence fee?

I rarely watch BBC telly these days - absolute bobbins. 6Music and Radio 4 are what I appear to buy.

Save 6Music.

Stephen!

1. Mik G
      Thumb Up

Just coming!!

Just coming!!!

15. Robin

Six

Even my Mum listens to 6 Music, if only for the Craig Charles Funk and Soul show on Saturday evenings. It's a good show though. I've left the UK now so I get to escape from the likes of Radio 1 and its commercial cousins (Radio 1 + adverts = hell), but it's good to tap into 6 Music every now and again.

As many people have said here, there's nowhere else you can get a mix of genres like this and no endless repetition of mainstream junk. One office where I took a contract had Radio 1 playing; no idea how I managed to work whilst in a radio-induced coma.

Finally, I was pleased to see George Lamb and his stupid sound effects box get relegated to weekends. I read somewhere that he once played four songs in an hour.

16. chris 130
    Unhappy

Radio 6, only one of BBC worth lsitening too

Pity

Radio 6 on the DAB is one of three channels worth listening too in the home counties- rest are just so much crap or untunable

17. OffBeatMammal

radio is dead

single I discovered http://di.fm I don't think I've listened to the crap DJ ego driven crap that's broadcast to the old valve set

DAB is a great idea but there's no compelling reason to make the jump (sure, it sounds great but if there's nothing but crap to listen to...)

18. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Radio? What's that? Online Radio?

Radio - I used to listen to Radio *all* the time from the mid 80's till the late 90's then slowly tailed off listening as the content became more and more shit.

I don't bother anymore.

There's plenty of sites where you can get the lastest music news, sample tracks.

There's social media to share information on new bands.

If you do need a 'radio fix', there's numerous net radio stations you can stream.

Traditional Radio is heading the same was as the DODO.

If I were 6music, I'd shift to an online streaming service - but first, of course, they need financial backing...

19. Ocular Sinister
    Thumb Down

Re: Radio 6

To be honest, I've all but given up on conventional music radio, and while Radio 6* seems like the best of a bad bunch, its still really not *that* great. Instead I opt for a range of internet based radio stations while at work, and Radio 4 at home. I stopped listening to Radio 1 shortly after the late, great John Peel passed away (rest his soul etc.) and the way his slot was cannibalized by people that had little knowledge for music, or at best a very narrow minded view. I had hoped that Annie Nightingale would replace him, but instead we got the insipid Lemacq and a load of no-names. Fortunately internet radio has grown to fill the gap.

* A quick scan of the schedule revealed the usual Indie selection plus a dance and a metal show. I'd love a decent New Wave show, or a show that for the darker side of electronic and industrial music. Oh, and a dodgy old goth show. /hides

20. adifferentbob

Bastards!

6Music and Radio 4 are unique. There's nowhere else that has shows like the Freak Zone and Craig Charles' Funk Show. Nothing else that produces stuff like "In Our Time". The listening figures for 6music may not be massive but I bet the demographic is an advertiser's dream.

If they get rid of 6Music I'm for dumping the entire BBC. The TV license is an anachronism. I cannot express my disapproval at them wasting money on "Snog, Marry or Avoid" but axing the content I like. If I don't pay my license fee then I'll be harrassed and most likely taken to court. So time to dump the lot , and let the market rule.

21. Ian Bush
    Unhappy

One more for 6 Music

Just to add my support for 6 Music, not that it's worth anything. Especially now that Lamb has been shoved into a corner slot it is a superb station playing a great variety of interesting music which is generally somewhat out of the main stream. It's worth it for Stuart Maconie's Freak zone alone. Surely this is the kind of thing that the BBC should support? Indeed, though it pains me to say this, if the BBC is not supporting this kind of station what point does the BBC have?

22. Neil Greatorex
    Coat

@Gary F

The BBC is not state funded.

I, for one, think the license fee is bloody cheap for what you get. I don't subscribe to Sky, as I couldn't imagine paying a subscription fee AND having more than 50% of airtime as adverts. Shudder. But I hear people at work complaining about the license fee, but quite happy to pay 30 to 40 pounds a month for adverts. ???

23. JB

Growing old

To all those who are giving up on Radio 1, isn't it just natural that you're going to grow out of it? I used to listen to it all the time until the early 90s, then it just didn't appeal any more (except Mark & Lard).

At one time there seemed to be a ready-made progression of BBC radio: Radio 1 > Radio 2 and then you could add in Radio 4 or, if you were really cosmopolitan, Radio 3. But now that Radios 1 and 2 are just commercial-free clones playing bland rubbish, there just isn't anywhere to go.

Personally I find 6 music rather boring, but just because I don't happen to like it, doesn't mean it's crap.

Somebody needs to take some REAL radical (ie commercially suicidal) ideas to liven up radio, otherwise it's just going to die the death, if it hasn't already.

@AC: "And Shadow Culture Minister Jeremy Hunt is so far up the backside of the big media owners he can see what they had for breakfast." - that is genuinely funny, I've made a note of that!

24. elderlybloke
    Happy

Same Problem down here

The Radio stations in NZ , are painful to listen to, and the commercial stations have a lot of ads that see to be aimed at 3 year olds.

I haven't listened to any Radio for about a year.

It may seem strange to you but the television available from Sky is superior to the local ones.

News on the Government run TVNZ , is at the same level as the private one TV3-suitable for teenagers or below.

Plenty of variety on Sky and the BBC news seems to actually be aimed at adults.

What Sky gives us , has a lot less than 50%, and much less than the local lot which does seem to

be about 50%.

25. The Avangelist
    Stop

Risk assessment sees US ties cut

I think that the Beeb would be better off relying on the stable import business that CH4 and Five have implimented and solely rely on US imports. Let's be honest here, the UK has failed to create a high quality export... ever? I can't think of one, and Dr Who most certainly does not count, you cannot equate it to the high calibre being outputted by HBO for example.

This culling is understandable, the cost of BBC as a whole is immense and the realisation that nobody actually uses the local news sites, its many portals and subs, means that web content must go to favour the iPlayer services.

It's not about the lack of an advertising platform that allows the beeb to suffer, it's that it is far to big an organisation to take risk on new talent, big budgets and the export game.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cost Effective?

A lot of the arguments being bandied about in favour of the alleged closures seem to be based on running the BBC like a commercial station. Who cares if the stations only get small audiences, that has never been the point of the BBC. If that was all the BBC cared about then all we'd have would be Radio 2 and BBC1 - they consistently get the best audience figures at any time of day. Based on the strength of audience figures then most local stations would have to go too.

When audience figures are the sole driver for BBC output then the BBC will die.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like