Feeds

back to article Computer Engineer Barbie coming soon to a toy store near you

The people have spoken: Barbie will become a computer engineer. And a news reporter. Results of the 2009 Barbie Global Career Survey – called the ‘Girls’ Vote’ on the results announcement page – swung in favor of ‘News Anchor.’ But the ‘Popular Vote’ conducted online during the last month and promoted here has delivered geek …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

It would be interresting to see the long term effects

I mean will a "computer engineer Barbie" inspire girls to think about technology?

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

but but but

Shirley a real geekete should have unwashed hair, scrunched up with a velcro cable tidy, a spotty face from too much pizza, and full-length jeans gone at the knee? And the laptop should be in one of those fabric shoulderbags you get at trade fairs, advertising Greenspring or Keele or something?

Nothing like the picture on the left.

No geek looks like that...

She looks like a marketing girl on holiday. I expected at least jeans and a t shirt.

I'd like to know WTF is "geek chic" as well. Wikipedia has a vague description that is singularly unenlighening.

Silver badge

Well, almost...

I like the shirt. Could do with some pizza stains though.

A Hello Kitty laptop? I guess I could cope with that, so long as you understand that the OS it is running is irrelevant. What matters is that it is stuffed with PDF datasheets, compilers for esoteric hardware, and a creaky old ported version of Wolfenstein (because that had the attitude, all this Doom/Quake nonsense lost the plot).

I totally absolutely unequivocably agree with the bluetooth. The only people I've seen around here (rural France) with such nonsense are men dressed like sales bods who probably think they are important, and forty year old women dressed like teenagers who probably didn't think at all... If she needs comms, she should have a little radio-headset because we all know distance matters and bluetooth just hasn't got the range.

Paint those glasses brown, you'd (almost) have geek chic in the form of Lisa Loeb. :-)

Or bin the glasses, dye the hair black, cut it short - Alex Krotoski.

@ Blofeld's Cat - how can you post to El Reg without knowing what Geek Chic is? Come on! StephTheGeek? Any cute female who has a map of Akiba to hand (double points if they've actually been there) Extra extra extra if she is wearing the ThinkGeek T-shirt that says "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" (think about it...).

She is missing an Alice band plus scrunchie because she really doesn't want hair like that flapping around the next time she whacks the laser printer with its own toner cartridge. In fact, printers of any type and hair like that is asking for trouble.

And where's the bum-bag containing assorted little screwdrivers, multimeter, and pocket 'scope? The scope, incidentally, would have to be a Vellemann kit that she put together one rainy weekend. Maybe even a logic analyser in a grey ABS box with banana plugs on the side. Inside? A PP3 battery and hand-etched board containing some PICs and an FPGA...

Come on Barbie, do it right!

Happy

Sandals

I hope shes wearing socks with sandals, or, sorry, not a computer engineer :p

Anonymous Coward

In this day and age...

...I'm surprised Barbie hasn't been replaced by a Bimbo Paris doll or Kendra Bimbo football doll or Herbie Bimbo doll or Britany Bald Head doll or a Kutcher Bimbo Tweeter doll or other highly profitable and socially challenged doll. It's always about the money, ain't it?

Anonymous Coward

Femenists don't like female computer engineers

About 20 years ago HP ran a job ad with a pictures of a female computer engineer. This caused a storm of protest from the female media saying it was disgusting that HP could stoop to running an advert like this with a picture of a model, when in fact the lady in question was a computer support engineer complete with a degree to prove it.

Sadly since those days the numbers of women in real technical positions in the IT industry seems to have dwindled. I spend my life teaching "in depth" technical training and every year the percentage of women in the classes seems to go down to the extent that the women trainers now remark when they get a single one. This not just an issue in the UK at one time there used to be a lot more women in the US working in technical roles, but there too it has declined. Spain still seems to be holding up.

Silver badge

My daughter had something like this.

A little over 20 years ago, she came home from a slumber-party with her Barbie dressed in Ken's jeans and T-shirt. Other accessories included paddock boots and a riding helmet.

Her mother asked her why the clothes change ... She replied "She's a programmer." I kinda laughed, and asked her about the boots & hard-hat. She gave me a look like I was a complete idiot and said "Daddy, her horses aren't going to ride themselves!" She wasn't quite five years old.

Today, my daughter is a programmer, has six horses, and is competitive in the hunter/jumper world, and dressage ... and that old Barbie is sitting on top of one of my bookcases here in the office. After my wedding ring, it's probably my most prized piece of hardware :-)

FAIL

Pah!

When they make a Garcia from Criminal Minds Barbie, then they'll be on the right track.

Welcome

Only a Computer Engineer would 'get it'

Am I the only one who, seeing the binary code in question on her laptop screen, did a quick bin-hex calc in my head and was not at all shocked to see what it came out to?????

Not so much a case of ROTFL, but rather ROTF-DoingSomethingElseEntirely...

I, for one, welcome the idea of having more Computer Engineers like this. :)

Pint

Oh bugger!

I'd expected her laptop to say something subversive - like, 'Sex for sale' at the least - and it was boring.

(Now I wonder how many other commentards are compelled to dust off their hex editors and ASCII tables and decode it...)

Incidentally, if she was a IT geek, wouldn't that tee shirt she's wearing count as a huge wank?

Thumb Up

You geeks are killing me...

I expected much more from the El Reg crowd, what a disappointment.

Of course she doesn't have a workplace. ...yet. If sales work out that will obviously come as a future accessory. Obviously you poor lot either never had a sister or girlfriend, or simply didn't pay any attention to either one of them. Or I guess you simply can't imagine the works of the commercial business.

As for the doll itself.. Guess I met other consultants. Granted; females are rare in the business, but I don't see anything wrong with an engineer who has both a cellphone and a laptop neatly in a separate case. That does cover the standard in the business; she could even easily match your average free-lance consultant.

Dudes, you're so obsessed with the girly side that you allow your brains to stop functioning. IMO ofcourse. Or this is just me showing his age :)

Silver badge

geeks and fear and loathing

"Dudes, you're so obsessed with the girly side that you allow your brains to stop functioning. IMO of course. Or this is just me showing his age :)"

They don't do rational when being faced with wimmin, only knee-(or other part)jerk reactions.

This is, of course, the Reg comments where the suitability of any actress for Dr Who's assistant is only based on whether the geeks would shag her or not (not that any of them would actually know what to do but they have seen the pictures)

Connie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS

Still. I suppose the average real computer engineer relies on the compiler to sort out his atrocious abuse of its native language and keeps a call to .NET in his back pocket for job interviews.

Happy

Haha

Nice try but a search for "Computer Engineer Barbie" (or variations thereof) on the shop you linked finds no hits :)

MrT
Bronze badge

Try www.barbie.com/vote ...

Computer Engineer Barbie was winner of the popular vote on Barbie's next career.

Alongside girls' vote winner 'News Anchor Barbie' who actually looks more like a roving reporter than a news anchor. Or is it Tricia 'Barbie' Takanawa...? Next, Ken grows a big chin, changes his name to 'Glen' and is available with either an airline pilot's uniform or a thong

Badgers

What is up with 61?

I'd much prefer 1000101.

Silver badge

re: What is up with 61?

Is that what they mean when they demand more girls in technical positions?

FAIL

Looks more like a marketing chick.

I was hoping for more of an Abby Sciuto (NCIS TV show) look.

http://ncis-fanatic.tripod.com/id5.html

Bluetooth headsets

You must all be posting from the UK if you think no one uses them. Here in the USA I see those things all the time. People walk round Walmart (men, women, teens, you name it) chattering away quite happily. I thought they were all talking to themselves until I spotted the little ear pieces.

Personally I don't mind them one bit. I think the Brit's cynicism about this (I AM British) is just insecurity and fear of being laughed at. I have noticed since I left Blighty that the rest of the world is considerably less stuffy about many things than I, and all my fellow natives, with their clenched buttocks, gritted teeth, and sneering laughter, are. Talk about repressed.

Anonymous Coward

I was hoping...

...she would be something like Lisbeth Salander, a little more black and no pink at all.

Good Game?

Computer Engineer Barbie bares a striking resemblance to "Good Game" presenter, Hex (Aussie gaming TV show that airs on the ABC) – just swap that bizarre binary t-shirt for a Good Game one and hey presto!

Troll

Will they make one with a pull-string speech option?

I'm dying to suggest some suitable catchphrases but Sarah B will probably filter me :^)

Paris Hilton

Which languages does Barbie program in?

Perhaps she was debugging a tail recursive function in Erlang to print her name, as this is what's on her netbook screen ...

[2#01000010,2#01100001,2#01110010,2#01100010,2#01101001,2#01100101,2#01000010,2#01100001].

"BarbieBa"

Bronze badge

Re-enactments?

Can we expect to see the new Barbies in some future El Reg re-enactments, in place of the the Playmobil characters?

@Real Engineers 14th February 2010 13:48

Obviously not a qualification in English, though. "You're" or "you are" maybe, but not "your"

Troll

Follow code below,...

while :

do

echo "Ha! "

done

Bronze badge

The Simpsons was here first

with Lisa Lionheart

Anonymous Coward

Geek Chic

boy you lot most live under rocks, Geek Chic was about turn of the millennium, it was the look of casual clothing, well cut, shirt out, little bit prepy with edge, pair of trainers, perhaps some cheap glasses.

Truth is most computer folk, wear nothing, a dressing gown or in company; combats generally black or grey, perhaps a shirt or t-shirt: dark, and clumping boots normally CAT.

For most tech folk it is about functionality, so a G-Shock is the watch normally with RadioTime. Combats because less chance of rip, and enough pockets. Most will keep a jacket on even inside, something to hide in, the M68 jacket is becoming a bit of a symbol, the regiment faded cut is quite cool.

Suits are a no no really, shame as they can be fun, and hell some wear them because it rebels against their fold and, well, we all like a rebel, but then you have to prove you can code, because as we all know most suits cannot code.

The Barbie Doll here, is a bit like Legally Blonde where she dresses as she thinks a lawyer would dress, but of course we all fancy Reese in her knickers or when she tones it down a bit.

Angelina Jolie in Hackers is the sexier dresser, and you believe she can code, she nailed that roll, but it was the look of disdain that really sold it - and that is the look of the developer, it just says 'You are a lower life form, I want a refund on that oxygen you stole.'

Anonymous Coward

Of course that

should be the M65 Jacket and not the M68 which is more often associated with a gun.

Thumb Down

Wrong clothes

Where's the Oracle/Cisco/Microsoft/Sun/insert-large-tech-company-here branded polo shirt or jacket??

Coat

there can be only one

queen of the geeks/nerds

and her name is penny

knock knock

penny

knock knock

penny...?

mines the one with the tbbt fanboy card in

Silver badge
Grenade

I want fangirl Barbie

Linux Barbie: She's eats lentils and goes to furry conventions (dressed as a penguin)

Windows Barbie: She's crap at her job and wears a lot of blue

Mac Barbie: She's always banging on about how she's better than everyone else.

Amiga Barbie: Always talking about how she kicked ass 20 years ago but she's well past it it now (dried up has been)

See, I do take the mick out of all platforms, bloody mac fanbois always saying I only pick on them!!!!!

FAIL

Hollow Victory

Well, that was a pointless excercise. As usual, Mattel twist the image of something to fit their range of shite. When the generation of girls who buy/are given this (if they make it that far) actually make it into engineering jobs (with or without degrees) they are going to be very disappointed....she doesn't even have pockets ffs! Where do you put the screwdrivers? How do you crawl under tables in trousers that tight? Not enough black or stripes or pockets IMOH.

Whatever next "Imagine Engineer"?

Thumb Down

What a joke

It looks like Brittany Spears' idea of a computer engineer....

Pint

Mattel

...perhaps can't see the forest for the trees, when it comes to the female side of what keeps our internets, corporate networks, and stand-alone computer systems working.

So, big surprise. The preppie-doll-company wound up making a preppie-looking "computer geektette". I expect that some creative girls, out there, shall wind up making their own modifications to GeekBarbie's ensemble, to make it more honest looking (as any amount of honesty would do, at this point) - to which prospect, I say, hear hear.

Gotta love the *GUYS* who put this together

Nice one Mattel, you've got a computer geek Barbie. And what's her career choice? Oh yeah, building baby monitors. FFS, fellas!

LC
Go

I want one

She'd fit in perfectly with the female IT staff around here (on dress-down Fridays, anyway). Being a female engineer doesn't mean you have to wear black, or combats, or Doc Marten boots. This doll should demonstrate to girls who love fashion dolls that working with computers doesn't mean you have to give up on nice clothes.

I agree she could use more pockets though.

KHL
Joke

OMG!

My sister wrote:

> Possibility of many fun accessories. Barbie workstation with three monitors. Barbie rackmount server. Barbie Aeron chair. Barbie flatbed scanner, network printer, UPS, etc.

And don't forget Barbie Stock Options, Barbie Dotcom Bubble Bath,Barbie V.C. Washout, and the Barbie's Parent's Basement Bedroom Set.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.