back to article iPad runs Windows, Nokia runs OSX

Citrix has been demonstrating Windows 7 running on an iPad, as a dumb client at least, while a Finn has hacked OSX to the N900 for no very good reason. Images of Apple's iPad running Windows 7 have been floating around the internet thanks to Citrix, which has got its dumb-terminal Windows client running for the BOFH who wants …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

ZX81 emulation on the ZX80?

Nah, that's easy - installing Linux on a Dead Badger requires far more VüDü

http://strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml

2. Red Bren
    Coat

So...

Can I run Windows in a VM on OS X on a Nokia?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Only

Only if you're 12 and planning to run Windows 3.1 ... given it takes MacOS an hour to boot.

3. Dave 142

citrix

citrix on iPad would be really good for accessing work remotely. I doubt you'd want to do some extensive work on it, but for checking or monitoring it could be really good.

1. markp 1
      Happy

my sentiments exactly

Indeed, this is the sort of thing that I was considering as the make-or-break for the thing's practicality; can I use one to RD into, say, a static media server desktop, or even a laptop that I want to cable up to a screen on the other side of the room? (onscreen keyboard etc not so much of a hinderance if you can see all of what's going on via a large-screen HDTV as well as the pad). It's a bit steeply priced, granted, but then a vanilla slate PC isn't much more cost effective (unless bought from eBay, and even then it'll likely need a new battery), and professional automation gear with such capabilities from AMX etc is just as expensive. Wouldn't bother with the 3G model, so long as the normal one will work on wifi alright.

Can also just work on the machine directly, with TV off, for websurfing etc in a less restricitve domain than using the built in apps... and maybe be able to run notepad in the background for taking notes and all :p

I can't see Apple being too happy about it - aren't they dead set against allowing emulation apps on iPhone OS? Citrix would have to bundle a jailbreaking kit with each copy...

But still, the white elephant has been given a small lick of grey here.

4. David Hicks
    Stop

Probably worth mentioning

That OS X 10.3 is a PowerPc native beast, and the hacker in question has not created and ARM version.

What he's got is a Mac/PowerPC emulator running on the N900, which just-about has enough oopmh to run 10.3.

Still kinda cool...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Pointless

Ipad. Laptop without a keyboard. Just another tablet PC which have been happily filling niches in stock control inventory tracking & parcel delivery since 2001.

*Yawn

6. Chris 3
    WTF?

LogMeIn already available

I have the LogMeIn app running on my iPod Touch, so apparently by the story's definition I ran Win 7, OS X and Vista on my Touch today.

7. Blain Hamon
    FAIL

Not even running at native resolution

The pixel doubling is masked by scaling down the image, but the 1x button tells all: They're running a VNC for the iPod Touch in the iPad emulator. Oooh, stop the presses.

The Nokia story is much more impressive.

8. Petrea Mitchell
    Jobs Horns

Two-hour boot could be tolerable...

...if it was for something you could get monumental uptime from.

Steve with horns because it's the closest thing you've got to the BSD daemon.

1. markp 1
      Badgers

you sort-of can anyway

because if it takes 2 hours to just bring up the About box, imagine how long it'd take for something to crash...

9. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

Looking back

Looking back, and forgetting everything of importance, which is the normal way to do it.

I feel, that indeed, it is quite important that "silly" stuff like this is tried, performed.

You never know what kind of new ideas they create.

For instance suppose that the cell phone you bye would give you the ability (right) to download what ever OS you fancy (at the time).

Downloading a OS would not necessarily be free of costs, but might also be.

Among the devices that could survive a change like that, is no doubt, a device like Nokia N900.

And looking back again, remembering nothing, it is still a fact that companies like IBM, HP and who? are still alive because they do both hardware and software

(and a bit off the pint, why the hell does comments using Firefox produce an additional CR)

10. Morpho Devilpepper
    Happy

Wow

Finally...a practical use for the iPad.

1. markp 1
      Grenade

hehe

just like Bootcamp is a practical use for their computers?

ahem..... sorry. Unkind of me I know...

11. Big-nosed Pengie

Some people

have entirely too much time on their hands.

12. Christian Berger

Well at least some use

Seriously, if they'd only have removed the DRM from the iPad, it would have been a usefull device. So far the most useful application seems to be VNC.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

...ZX81 emulation on the ZX80

...ZX81 emulation on the ZX80... I laughed at this then realised -- Arggghhh, how old am I to get that joke. Then I consoled myself with how old must Bill Ray be.

1. markp 1
      Headmaster

iirc....

Is the joke that ZX81 code would still run largely fine on the 80 anyway, it just didn't have the "FAST" mode so the initial calcs took a few times longer on 3D Monster Maze?

14. goggyturk
    WTF?

OSX on n900? Pah!

Is this instead of the full Debian installation you can already get for the n810? The one that doesn't take 2 hours to boot up?

1. markp 1
      Go

argh

again, thinking the same thoughts.

impressive they managed to make something so heavyweight work on that iphone-sized device, but it's like the jokers who get XP running on a 32mb pentium-mmx force-clocked to single figure mhz. Very good, but what is it for?

(also sort of like XP on a 256mb, P4-generation Celeron running a gone-feral copy of Sophos... the horror...)

Never mind Debian, why not something like Puppy or DSL? I can see a Linux originally aimed at low-end PCs recompiled for the smartphone platform (with appropriate touch-screen, low rez and limited-key-board tweaks) working very well.

15. Michael Shaw
    Pint

Clearly i am not a genius but...

How do you emulate 1K of ram with only 256 bytes of memory?

1. Annihilator
      Coat

Emulating 1k of ram

Well, one method I know of is a fairly new technique called "virtual memory". Apparently it's all the rage and Microsoft are even contemplating putting it in their operating systems, including the upcoming "Windows 3.0"...

2. nagyeger

How about...

you swap to cassette tape?

Youve just got to love those page faults....

RECORD....

3. markp 1
      WTF?

RAMPACKS

same way as you can run 16kb games on the zx81.... if you have the right hardware.

they both had 1k as standard anyway, right?

16. Volker Hett
    Linux

That's what we in the know call "thin client"

and not dumb client, that would be one of those green screens connected to a serial port.

And the iPad solves a problem I had with the iPod, and abundance of remote desktop client apps but not enough screen.

Tux, because I'll probably use one with VNC to remote control the virtual machines hosted on several Linux computers with KVM, no, not the Keyboard - Video - Mouse switch :)

17. David Webb

Better idea

Instead of buying a really expensive bit of useless kit then having to play with it to get it to actually do what you want it to do (i.e. run Windows/Linux) why not pay *less* and get a tablet which already comes with Windows or Linux on it?

Seriously, if the only use for the iPad is as a thin client so you can run Windows over a network, doesn't it show you peoples mentality when they choose that over something that runs what they need?

"Hey, you have a choice, you can have this Windows based tablet with Windows on it, and you can dual boot Linux, or, you can have this iPad which runs a phone OS and if you want to do real work, you gotta install software to link it up to your Windows/Linux box!"

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like