back to article IFPI wants another stab at OiNK

One of the world’s top music trade bodies warned today that the fight against UK BitTorrent tracker OiNK won't end with the recent acquittal of its creator and administrator, Alan Ellis. John Kennedy, chief executive of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), said the industry is considering civil …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

@Fraser

"So a musician shuold expect nothing, but the crumbs from under our tables and think themselfs lucky that they get that. Is that really what you want for society, creative people get no money for their work while everyone else gets to take what they want?"

You're posting a comment like that on an IT site? Wow. I would think up a witty response, but I think the boss is coming around handing out pink slips, pay decreases, and notices that we have to train our Indian replacements.

My heart bleeds.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC 22:02

You manage to show up the basic selfish attitude of the anti copyright crowd. Your post reads as: "I'm not doing as well as I want, so screw everyone else, they aren't getting any money if I have anything to do with it."

Nice, really nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Selfish? Me?

Maybe. It’s all a matter of perspective. I firmly believe in the right of musicians to work for a living, and earn a decent (read 10% above or below the national average) salary. IF they are absolutely phenomenal at what they do, I see no reason they shouldn’t be allowed to become millionaires, and bask in the fruits of their talents. I would die to defend their right to do so.

What I don’t believe in, and you will never convince me of, is their right to dine on their past “works” for eternity. More specifically, I don’t believe in the right of the music content industry to dine on those works for life + 70. The rest of us are only as good as our last day at work…this principal needs to apply across the board.

This isn’t, (in my mind) a matter of being selfish. It’s a matter of being pragmatic. In case you have been living under a rock these past few decades, there’s a war on the middle class occurring. It started out relatively benign, but in the past 15 years or so it has really been heating up. As a member of the middle class, I say to you and to everyone: you are either friend or foe. I can accept no in between.

The wealth gap gets bigger every year. More and more money is simply removed from the economy by the wealthy and never re-invested. The middle class is evaporating as we all become “proles.” Against this background, rather than try to work out a social compromise that everyone can live with...content owners turn on the middle class to attack it. There’s a bigger battle to fight here. I honestly believe a class war is looming, and as in any war, if you aren’t with us, you’re against us.

I pay for every scrap of media I consume, but I refuse to pay for it over and over and over. I am simply unable to feel sorry for people who call me “pirate,” and “thief” and try with all their might to take my rights away. They can, each and every one of them, work for a damned living just like the rest of us. Produce new content worth buying, and play live gigs. If they can’t make a living off that, then their war isn’t with us “filthy, selfish middle classers.” Their war is with Ticketmaster and the various tentacles of Big Content.

If my artist brothers want to stand side by side with me in the fight to reclaim our rights, to end this class war before it really gets started, then I will support them whole heartedly. Instead it looks to me like they have opened another front, and I’ll treat them like the enemies they have chosen to become.

So no...no selfishness, but no sympathy either. Niether has a place in war.

1. Gareth

@Fraser

The million-dollar recording artist is an anomaly in the history of music which lasted for a few decades in the 20th Century.

The money didn't even come from the music, it came from the packaging and distribution of recordings (as you can see from the artists who're making the most money from music now, manufactured pop acts and aging rockers living off decades old re-issues).

Now packaging and distribution is heading towards obsolescence it appears the age of the rock star is dying out. I'm sure we will all miss a world without future Britneys and Bonos...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Please...

The million dollar recording artist is a very very rare creature, it's like the muic world's equivilant of the Art world's Damian Hurst - there are thousands of artists, most will never make a large amount of money. Just because some people coin it in, doesn't mean to say that those who are much smaller should be made to suffer loss of income.

As for you claim that packaging is what sells, do you think that a re-release of an LP would sell if there was no music inside? Really? Packaging is nice, but noone is going to buy a package without a product inside.

2. L1feless
    Paris Hilton

Stats

There were some stats used by this gentleman (I use the term loosely) which I had questions about. The specific stat i wanted to know is if the # of releases has really gone down or just the number of registered releases has gone down. Local bands can often now just simply release their music directly online. I am not sure if these can or have been tracked.

Another number I would like to know is the number of attendees at concerts. It seems at least where I am concerts are selling out faster than I can ever remember. Some of the bands here are even adding another date onto their tour to accommodate the demand in sales. Are these stats being counted upon as a counter to album sales? They should be. With more cash in hand having downloaded the album it leaves teens with more cash to go to the show if they so choose.

Paris because even her songs weren't downloaded. Her video was instead...

3. Richard Sloan
    Megaphone

JoCo

Filesharing doesn't seem to be an issue for artists like Jonathan Coulton who for quit his day job with no issues. Most of the music I listen to is Creative Commons these days...

4. Inachu
    Stop

causing “severe damage???????????

But the report stresses that illegal file-sharing and other forms of online piracy are causing “severe damage” to local music industries around the world such as France, Spain, and Brazil.

I try to buy American music in Maryland which sits right above washington DC and guess what!

The local stores here cut the english music in half and replaced 50% with just mexican music.

I feel alienated in my own country.

The damage they get is from their own selfish greed.

They take it away from me in the stores so where else will I get it?

I refuse to buy online period!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like