Feeds

back to article Firefox 3.6 goes live and final

Mozilla has officially released Firefox 3.6, the latest incarnation of its open-source web browser. After little more than a week of testing on a pair of release candidates, the browser's final version can now be downloaded here. It's available for Windows, Linux, and Mac. Mike Beltzner, Mozilla's director of Firefox …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

One feature I want is...

...when you have a few dozen tabs open in one or several windows, things like Adobe's Flashplayer being simply embedded in a webpage without anything actually playing in the case of YouTube/Vimeo etc. can cause high CPU usage, especially if several tabs have flash embedded in the page.

I use tabs extensively to keep track of many forums, news sites, eBay searches, general searches, general information etc., it's a much easier way to keep an eye on several things at once rather than using a slew of bookmarks with just a few tabs open and having to continually select bookmarked links to load the pages you want to view.

So the feature I want is that when a tab/window hasn't been viewed for a set amount of time (say two minutes) then the browser simply 'freezes' it and doesn't allow any .java/javascript/flash etc. on the page to consume any CPU time, until you go to the tab and start interacting with the page.

Paris Hilton

Freezing

I agree. Once I visited a smutty website and it spawned one of those pop-under advertisements with a fucking* flash (flesh?) live webcam eating all my CPU and network. After some time with slow downloads I decided to track it down.

If there were a tab/window freezing (plugins AND networking) for those pages out of focus, it would be perfect.

* now you imagine if this "fucking" was a literal one or not.

Paris and AC, of course.

Thumb Down

It's FartFux

Nuf said. God there are some really anal people around with all Acid tests. And anyone who says 'it's so customisable' must be one of those arseholes who puts Lexus lights on a perfectly good car to completely ruin it's looks. If the supplier can't get it right and has to leave it to you to customise it go elsewhere.

Rant over.

Flame

Christ on a f*cking bike

One size does not fit all. I find the default setup fine, but I prefer it tweaked my way.

Next version to be 4.0?

Cool. All those lazy legacy scripts that check for navigator.appVersion >= 4 will spring back into life! We can party like it's 1997, Geocities style...

(except of course, most if not all modern browsers seem to report at least 5, presumably for that very reason)

Grenade

Great For Binux Fans

Will all the Firefox sheep please remember that its not optimised for Windows so will never be faster than Internet Explorer or Opera, FACT!

Go

Well not the official releases

If you want an optimised build, you can compile it yourself or get someone else to do it:

Some good ones are http://www.binaryturf.com/free-software/blazing-fast-firefox-optimized-distributions/ or here

http://weblog.pigfoot.org/pigfoot/

Silver badge

Ah, FACTS!

I love people who yell "FACT!" at the end of their posts. They remind me of Speak You're Branes.

And as I'm on Linux, am I still a sheep? Please, do tell.

Coat

If you like branes so much...

...why don't you go and live there?

FACT!

Troll

I LOLed

Lots of linux users complain about it being slower on Linux than windows, so I think FACT is the wrong word. Perhaps GREAT BIG STINKING IGNORANT OPINION would be more appropriate?

hello, sheep master..

how is your flock??

Happy

Its Good - Like it.

They are starting to narrow the gap with Chrome which is good.

I use Chromium for opening stupid big html files.

Firefox for everything else.

The new 3.6 continuous improvement dev model is a great idea.

Much to my shame I even like Personas...

3.6 tips:

about:support is nice and has a button to open up you profile location.

Turn on browser.ctrlTab.previews

Control Tab shows all tabs in preview and you can search.

Saving Space until 4.0

To save space I now use "Toggle menu bar" from Toolbar Buttons.

This way I can have my cake and eat it too :)

(That is save space and still have easy access to my tools).

This allows me to just hide the Menu Bar until I need it. Simple, Neat.

Toolbar Buttons 0.6.0.8

If used with Hide Caption 0.7.6.1 then most of the time I am saving 2 toolbars worth of screen real estate.

FAIL

@SilverWave

Opera is the speed demon to beat. The latest 10.50 kills Chrome in Javascript performance...

Either way, this is just another Firefix borefest, there will be a 3.6.01 released before the end of next week to patch security holes....

'it's so customisable' ???????????

No, I'm being serious... :( I hear all this 'great' stuff about 'personas'...

to find it is only a 'bitmap background' ??? PLEASE tell me I am missing something, or it only works in vista or win 7... I'm still using 'comfortable' XP... :)

I look up 'customize' in FF, to find ONLY 12 or so things to change, unless I want to spend AGES searching for add ons... :(

erm, check that one i mentioned earlier, even in basic just downloaded form, the 'customization/appearance SUBmenu has more *headings* than that, each with 10 to 15 options, to say nothing for those you can add using a text editor... :)

Unhappy

Still got the blank toolbar bug in it

I've had it a day and already it has decided to stop displaying any icons in the toolbar. Shame really I was quite liking it. Much more responsive than 3.5

WHO

ACID Test

FF 3.6

Failed 8 tests.

Test 26 passed, but took 311ms (less than 30fps)

Test 40 passed, but took 34ms (less than 30fps)

Test 65 passed, but took 58ms (less than 30fps)

Test 71 failed: doc.open is not a function

Test 72 failed: doc.images is undefined

Test 75 failed: anim.beginElement is not a function

Test 76 failed: expected '0' but got '100' - Incorrect animVal value after svg animation.

Test 77 failed: expected '4776' but got '5560' - getComputedTextLength failed.

Test 78 failed: expected '90' but got '0' - getRotationOfChar(0) failed.

Test 79 failed: expected '34' but got '33' - SVGSVGTextElement.getNumberOfChars() incorrect

Test 80 failed: linktest link couldn't be found

Total elapsed time: 2.37s

Opera

Failed 2 tests.

Test 26 passed, but took 943ms (less than 30fps)

Test 65 passed, but took 46ms (less than 30fps)

Test 79 failed: character position 32, which is between a character not in Plane 0 (high surrogate pair) and a character not in Plane 0 (low surrogate pair), is 74478 but should be 74400.

Test 97 failed: expected 'one' but got 'fail' - data: failed as escaped

Total elapsed time: 2.10s

Two years ago I gave up Opera because of all the HTTPS sites that block them. Went to FF and don't plan on moving.

huh..

"Two years ago I gave up Opera because of all the HTTPS sites that block them. Went to FF and don't plan on moving."

NOT opera's fault- it is the dumb authors believing the FF FUD...

TWO YEARS??? that is DECADES in web time....

WTF?

open in New Tab doesn't seem to work?

when I right-click on a link and select Open Link in New Tab the link loads in a new tab loads but the doesn't autoload, I have to go to the Address Bar and press Enter?

any ideas?

(BTW: Anonymous Coward because I can generally work these things out myself ;-)

Anonymous Coward

Woo, not at all exciting...

A lack of excitement is exactly what I want in my browser, though. IE is excitement.

This FFox seems fine.. a bit quicker than the old one maybe (but the old one was perfectly nice, even on my puniest machine). The thing to warn people about out of date plugins is very welcome though- it should save a fair few people from Adobe ownage.

So yes, a really uneventful and painless upgrade, been using it most of the day without noticing much other than a very slight speedup on the slowest machines. <3 firefox on my desktop, Opera in "turbo mode" when using my 3g connection on the move- or Safari on the IPod touch.. ain't choice just grand?

FAIL

Waiting for the Bugs to be Ironed Out

Installed 3.6.0-1.1 64bit openSuSE build today.

Problems so far:

vmware remote console no longer works.

After exiting the program, it must be restarted in safe mode prior to restarting normally otherwise the program fails to start.

Its about as stable as an emu on acid [lots of crashes]

After trying all the usual tricks: uninstalling add-ons, using a blank profile, etc, I have reverted to 3.5.7.

Hopefully this is just a problem with this build, but for now, it's a FAIL.

WTF?

WTF?

It fails because an obscure feature that vmware users may or may not use doesn't work? I take it humanity fails because we don't all have a built in attitude for mass murder, a feature that few people use.

"Personas" - how lame.

They all look horrible. At leasy Opera's Speed Dial backgrouds actually look decent...

Thumb Up

I had a fight with the Firefox developers.

The trouble is with Firefox - that it leaks like a sieve.

Memory leaks - huge HUGE memory leaks.

And the idiotic Firefox Beurocracy - they allow people to develop and put up 1 million and one plugs in's or extensions and then they attach a warning "Oh be careful when installing software from untrusted sources"....

Like "Oh how in the fuck can you tell if it's a maliciously programmed extension until you do install it?" (idiots).

And when all the crashes start happing - the forum fuckwits with all the answers and non of the experience say "OH it's the extensions, the plug in's - these are what is causing the memory leaks and crashes....."

The short answer to that is "And do you have proof based upon your own expereinces?"

The real issue with the plug in's - is that NONE of them are subjected to a standardised test for compatibility with the program it's self AND with the other extensions (or plug in's), because none of the fucking idiots in the Mozilla Foundation decided to implement screening in the free for all browser plug in creation schemes.....

So now there are 10 million and one plug-in's for Firefox.

But the real scam with all these fucking advice givers is that I have done the "disable and restart" all the plug in's racket a few times myself... and not a damned thing changed - BECAUSE Firefox has flaws in it's code base - that cause the memory leak based crashes.....

The program it's self has serious defects.

So there needs to be a standardised automated testing of all the plug in's.

They also need to be "certified" as being "friendly" and the developers need to weed out the memory leak causing bugs in the program.

Flame

@callmeshane

If the problems are as bad as you say, then step-up to the plate and come up with some patches to fix the dang thing.

I have personally NEVER had an issue with any of the FF versions leaking memory. FF3.6 is sitting on about 62Mb ram used and adds an extra 4Mb per tab opened on average.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @callmeshame

Ah, the old you-do-better-then call. You don't have to be able to do better yourself to see when it's done wrong and point it out, luckily for most people here. As for the second paragraph - prove it. (Hint - since you've emphasised never, you'd better have a time machine as well as the photoshopped screenshots you might produce.)

Silver badge
Linux

@callmeshane

Agree with the above : FF3.5 been used all day and is at ~90MB of which 20MB is shared mem. - this on OpenSUSE 11.2

Coat

It has to be said

You probably weren't taken seriously, as you're an illiterate, ranty pillock.

FF devs have a finite amount of time, and time to have to triage incoming junk like that rather hard.

isnt open source & user extensions luvly??? :p

@callmeshane 1: yes, that is the why opera does not do them, and the blind users hate them for it...

Use the browser for 'surfing' ???? they are too busy using it for social networking, organising schedules, showing what flashy widget they have just got working...

Unhappy

Won't load my bank's website

Weird, but Firefox 3.6 won't, unlike previous versions, play nice with my bank's website (HBOS). It just hangs, stuck trying to load. Loads just fine in Safari. And this is the only thing I've found wrong with it so far.

Alert

Yep you are

I love people who yell "FACT!" at the end of their posts."

He then says

"And as I'm on Linux, am I still a sheep? Please, do tell."

Yes bahhhhhh

Silver badge
Heart

Personas is a bad joke

I do not understand how can the Mozilla guys think that slapping a bitmap over the toolbars makes FF looks good, there are only one or two of those bitmaps which are actually any good looking.

I've found that the theme "cromifox basic 3.6.1" makes FF looks quite good (Chrome-like).

Besides personas I think that this release is quite solid, what 3.5.x should have been in the first place.

Happy

Flash Ah Arrrrrr, he'll save everyone of us.....

Nuff said

and its in the same fantasy scheme of things.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.