back to article Guinness to hit three quid a pint

The RRP of a pint of Guinness will rise by 10p to £3.03 on 1 February, producer Diageo has announced. In further grim tidings for drinkers, brewer AB InBev - which counts Beck's, Budweiser, Staropramen and Stella Artois on its roster of brews - "will increase the wholesale price of all its drinks products by an average of 4p a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Go

guinness pint

3 pound 3 pence good id say put all booze up make every drink over 5 pound that would hopefully kill binge drinking which is a disgrace in this country and if it comes to even bad measures ban it altogether that would make me happy. i never touch booze anyway so it dont concern me at all booze drugs and cigarettes all should be banned. i must admit i did drink but this was ages ago all it was is fosters baileys mostly but now ive never touched a drop since i only drank when i visited my friend but ive never visited my friend in a year or 2 so i say keep increasing the prices do it

er looooser

so, let's get this straight, because you have no friends (save one erstwhile one) you think they should put the price up? I'm beginning to see WHY you have no friends. you are an arse sir.

Pint

Brew it yourselves

This can only be seen as an excellent opportunity to take up brewing beers by yourself.

Tastes a hell of a lot better and a lot cheaper also.

// Jesper da brewer.

Pint

Re: No, it won't

Rick,

Take a look at this link. Its probably out of date but still a useful scale for cheap boozin':

http://www.foodfight.org.uk/other/images/trampindex.pdf

Flame

Excellent!

Some funnies in the analysis and text, especially the string+dog bit, and it confirms my preference for Speccy Brew is economically driven.

Mine's the one with a can of SB in it, purchased from the perenially open corner shop from the sub continent.

Silver badge

Ugh

Why do people insist on using line graphs when they're entirely inappropriate?

Pint

Re: Ugh

Admit it – you want a bar graph…

Pint

£3.50

where I am.

Pint

Beer in pubs isn't so much the rip-off - soft drinks are!

£2.50 for a pint of Coke, made on a machine from tap water, a box of concentrate and a bottle of CO2?

Local off licence Coke (the real thing bottled in the factory) is £1 for 2 litres.

Way to encourage people not to drink and drive? Make soft drinks MUCH cheaper than alcohol. Then families might be able to afford to come to your pub, and eat, and spend money, thus increasing your business, no?

@Andy Pullin

"£2.50 for a pint of Coke, made on a machine from tap water, a box of concentrate and a bottle of CO2?

Local off licence Coke (the real thing bottled in the factory) is £1 for 2 litres."

How do you think "the real thing" is made in these factories? Tap water, CO2 and syrup supplied by Coca-Cola.

@ Andy Pullin

When you buy drinks in a pub, you are not just paying for the drink. You are paying for the cost of the premises, the staff, all the legal hoo-haa that goes with licenced premises, heating. lighting, security, insurance etc etc. The cost of a drink is typically about a third of the price you pay.

@Alex Rose

True, but it still doesn't explain the almost 1000% mark-up just for the privilege of drinking it in a pub, nor in either case is it as complicated to make as beer.

Pub coke = big joke

The real thing may be made in a factory with the same ingredients but at least it isn't so heavily watered down that it has virtually no flavour like the stuff in pubs is.

Flame

@Paul Randle

What, and the off-licene & supermarket don't have to pay for the cost of the premises, the staff, all the legal hoo-haa that goes with licenced premises, heating. lighting, security, insurance etc.

Bolocks!

Silver badge
WTF?

Tough market conditions?

If the market's so tough then why are they raising their prices? Or are they hinting that they let us off lightly?

Knuckles

wrapped with what?

MGB

no title

“This is good news. I totally believe in minimum pricing. Without doubt it is the supermarkets causing the binge-drinking problems and they need their knuckles wrapped.”

Since when did the piss-head community in city centres all get their booze anywhere else than bars, pubs and clubs? I never saw any dragging Tesco carrier bags full of the stuff around?!?

Here in Germany you can buy a beer cheaper than water almost anywhere/anytime, people drink in the streets and supermarkets have beers from 5€ a crate yet there are no such social problems?

Why aren't those causing the trouble punished, instead of punishing everyone else two fold through over-charging for going out to have a drink, and having to deal with the implications of the problem not actually being tackled. The police should be arresting drunks and then dishing out appropriate punishment, not pushing them out of the centres to vandalise and destroy anything in their path, free from the possibility of the police bringing them to justice because they are too busy pushing more people away to terrorise the rest of us. Yet again the government prove their only real goal is to tax the lifeblood out of the people whilst failing to tackle anything.

Low prices != binge drinking

Here in the US you can buy a six pack of cheap lager for under $4, vodka for $10/750ml. Bars will sell you a pint of generic lager for $1-$3.

Yet people here drink far less than they do in Blighty, and I think I've seen one or two minor scuffles in the 3 years I've been here (compared to seeing serious injuries and near-riots nearly every time I went out in the UK).

Now I am no longer broke after buying a couple of pints I'll often go out for a meal or to watch a movie as part of my evening out, rather than just spending the whole night in the pub.

The whole "cheap booze leads to binge drinking" idea is completely wrong - it just pushes people to extremes. They'll either quit drinking so they can afford to do other things, or stop doing other things so they can afford to drink.

Grenade

bowel bothering Guiness that they sell..

in England should be banned - brewed in Dublin but a constant bowel botherer over here.

I still can't make out why a pint of Guiness in Paris or Milan tastes better than one in London.

Could it be the shite barstaff here especially in London???

same thing was happening in Dublin last time I was there - shite staff who didn't know the difference between pouring a Pint of G (Gods Milk) and some shite kangaroo pee...

Reminds of the London bargirl who after managing to pour a half decent PInt of G for me then scooped off most of the head with a knife as it was too "fluffy" - gave up with G over here after that.

off with their heads!

It's Friday and I'm in bad mood!

Joke

RE: shite kangaroo pee

Being from Melbourne I have to ask: What's so bad about kangaroo pee?

Cheap Guinness?

The Vale opposite Queen Street Station in Glasgow was selling Guinness for £1.70 a pint for a portion of last year. Can't remember what it is now, but it's not £5, that's for sure...

Cracking wee pub it is too, but Queen St doesn't serve trains down to England I'm afraid.

Still cheap

£2.20 in The Vale these days, only 90p more than it was when I started drinking in the there 10 years ago. (Must be near 2 years since it was as low as £1.70 I think.)

Welcome

Come... ON!!

Oh do come on and see the light:

The UK is going down the swanage quicker than Gordo can drop hs chin to breathe. We're in vast amounts of debt, and the one thing that helps the recession is havnig a drink.

.... dawned on you yet?

Tax the drinks and make more money off us, whilst Labour starts patting backs for "bringing us out of the recession using our plans and strategies".

I for one welcome our soon-to-be-in-power Blue beer-drinking bretheren..

Flame

Re: Come... ON!!

> "I for one welcome our soon-to-be-in-power Blue beer-drinking bretheren.."

There seems to be a lot of Tory-lovers on here at the moment - where'd you all come from? I'm rather less enthusiastic having still vivid memories of the control-freakery, incompetence and excess of the Thatcher years - remarkably like today's gov't, in fact.

And since I got castigated for being a "Labour Spindoctor" by the hard-of-thinking just a day ago (the likelihood of which is why I decided to post anonymously), let me point out that I think the current shower are just as bad, though I suspect the functionally illiterate will have already written this off as being composed by Gordon Brown himself by this point.

That aside, I do agree that quality of life is the issue here: trying to tackle drinking itself is putting the cart before the horse since people are drinking more and more because they're over-taxed, over-worked and over-regulated. So along comes another proposed tax hike in the wake of another price rise, guess what that's going to do. Oh yeah, under-represented, too, which is why a bad situation keeps being made worse. Meanwhile, binge drinking becomes more ingrained in our culture and is used as evidence by our lords and betters that we can't be trusted and that we need them to force the issue for us.

We do need a political overhaul in this country, but the Tories aren't the ones to do it. Neither are Labour. Neither are the Lib Dems. God only knows who can and will do it, though.

Unhappy

remembrance du temps perdu

Three quid a pint? I'm old enough to rememeber when it was three shillings a pint.

As for this: 'Tony Brookes, managing director of North East-based pub company Head of Steam, enthused to The Publican: “This is good news. I totally believe in minimum pricing'', is this the first 2010 sighting of a turkey voting for an early christmas.

Health Benefits?

The idea that increasing the price of alcohol would have health benefits is absurd. People who wish to become intoxicated cheaply will simply turn to their friendly local drug dealer, who will be happy to serve them untaxed, unregulated highs at any time of the day or night.

Megaphone

May I Just Say

I just bought 5L of red wine for 3 euros here in portugal. Pished for a Euro? Sorted.

Bronze badge

US drinking

@Gareth:

Happened to note this lunch time that a bar on L St. NW in Washington, DC, (business district) offers pints for $5. I think Guinness was on the list, I know Smithwick was.

Americans seem to me to drink at least as much as is good for them. Heaven help the English if they drink that much more.

Paris Hilton

Alcohol pricing

Folks,

If kids and adults are determined to get pissed into an early grave, they will sell their mothers to happy Arab traders for a bottle of their best brew. Price per unit will never exceed price per relative, pet, neighbour's LCD TV.

Unless and until we deal with our binge drinking culture, we're FUBAR.

See you all on a weekend High St. night...

Paris because I'd like to take her away from the High St. and... never mind.

Pint

Could expense cause bingeing?

Just a scenario, no basis behind this....

If booze is made *too* expensive, that could this lead to more bingeing?

i.e. Can't afford to go out too often, so save my money and go out for a large one each payday?

We assume that the binge drinkers are doing this week after week. But, it could be that people are just doing it once per pay cycle?

And, there has to be a magical threshold, whereby it gets too expensive which causes moonshine/fake booze to seem more attractive, and those come with additional risks/dangers.

Mines a pint. Guinness, if they've got it, and know how to pour it. Failing that, generic lager will do.

Big Brother

4 quid +

Over in China we already pay over 4 quid a pint. Before the price was altered it was 6 quid for a short time as the exchange rate changed by 33%.

Megaphone

It's

not the supermarkets causing the binge drinking, it's the people themselves that don't know when to stop.

FAIL

welcome back...

...to rip off Britain, where the recession is a new excuse to squeeze, squeeze and then squeeze some more money from the population.

Pint

Two things

1) @Nazar:

"The wife can attest that the produced product is, "some of the best stout I've had"."

What would the wife know about it? Has she been breaking The Rules? Get her some white wine or a fruit-based drink.

2) Drinking responsibly - The only way to do this is to not drink alcohol at all. I therefore accept that I'm irresponsible, but I really, really hate the use of such an oxymoronic statement.

Pint - for the fella.

£3.05-£3.10

is the usual price in this neck of the wood and has been for some time.

one local even charged £3.30

Pint

Rick Stein's £7.00p a Pint !

Had a lunch there 18months ago In Padstow Cornwall.

Requested a half pint of excellent local cider and a half of Italian lager for guest.

When bill arrived it was £3.50p for each half ! Guiness was the same I think.

I'am no Einstein but thats £7.00p per pint by my reckoning...outrageous ?

Elsewhere in Cornwall Guiness at regular pubs has been £3.00p + for years.

A vrey nice "Bin End" Red for £30.00p as a compensation though.

WTF?

What the...?

Wait, let me get this straight... Your all worried that you pay a total of 3 pounds for a pint? Shall we try on some Australian pricing for a while? At about AU$10 per pint, I think that comes across as just under 6 pounds a pint...

And you think your getting gouged?

However, on the bright side, if you want proof that higher prices don't curb binge-drinking, we have a nation full of evidence. =D

Silver badge
Alert

London Olympics 2012

If binge drinking were an Olympic sport, the English would come in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but mind where you tread.

Thumb Down

TAX TAX TAX

This is a classic drip drip drip of the government preparing us for another tax increase.... because it is for our own good. I remember when pubs controlled the sale of alcohol both on site and off door..... they really ripped everybody off selling the off site beer for the same price as the pint inside the pub. The pub trade would love to get back to that situation. (and my dad brwed his own!) Maybe what is need is to find out why alot of people are drinking too much... is it because we are the most un happy people in europe? Why are we so unhappy and just want to get ourselves to getting drunk.

Silver badge
Pint

This is why

I brew my own. You think you have it bad? Our government in Australia hikes the price of alcohol every year and sometimes more often to try to curb "binge drinking". A pint of Guinness costs around $8 AUD (so nearly FIVE quid to you) and a six-pack is now around $35-$40 AUD (that's around 6 pints). For about that amount and a couple of weeks in the fermenter I can produce 40+ pints of very passable Guinness. Enough for me and all my mates to enjoy at home; it's been months since any of us set foot in a pub (except my brother who works in one) with the high prices, drink limits, smoking bans and all. Better to come round my place, where we can smoke, get pissed as we want, for bugger-all, and stay overnight to avoid drink-driving (Ah, the benefits of not being married! 8-) ).

Brewing your own takes a bit of care, you have to make sure everything is sterile, mix your ingredients properly at the right temperatures, and ferment at the proper temperature, but once you get it down pat as I have it's well worth the effort. Protip: Don't buy the cheap brewing kits you see in supermarkets. Go to a specialty home-brewing shop, it's not that much more expensive and the improvement in quality is WELL worth it.

All this price-hiking and other anti-alcohol/anti-smoking/anti-anything-fun crap has done is drive people like me and my mates to start brewing our own booze and staying away from the pubs. The world is no longer a friendly place.

Paris Hilton

Taste the difference

Asked a barman about this once, turns out that some staff are a tad lazy and do not rinse the pipes through after they have had the cleaning solution run through them.

Used to regulary get free guiness at my local, the landlord would always pull a few pints through after cleaning to check the flavour, the rejected ones were left on the bar for those in need. This was indeed 'bowel bothering ' stuff but when your 18 and 'Piston Broke' then you grab what you can. Even so, the thick creamy head is still an aquired taste.

Paris because..

Go

but, think of the advantages

Diageo are marking it up with the increases in tax on alcohol so they can continue making the same level of profits !

personally i don't give a stuff, guiness is a filthy foul brew anyway

mwuahahahaha, keep up the good work

on a side note, i don't like paying £15 for a 70cl bottle of vodka in Tesco's

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums