back to article Yes, the Googlephone works in Blighty

In the US, Google's unlocked Nexus One handset plays with only one major 3G wireless network: T-Mobile's. But in other parts of the world, your options are rather more extensive. Sold from Google's new US-based online phone store, the inaugural Googlephone supports four GSM frequencies: 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, and 1900MHz. So …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Actual Cost

I'm going to wait until UK store opens with UK price.

All the networks do data/calls/text SIM only "contracts" for £20 per month plus or minus a small amount. Buy outright plus SIM only is how I've done things for years as it is a far better deal and gives you ultimate flexibility.

I also think it's quite funny hearing people moan about how long they are still tied into their iPhone contract. The iPhone is a cutting edge device, is being updated all the time, there are some obvious weaknesses with it which are slowly being addressed so why would anyone want to lock themselves in for two years?! I'm on my third since it came out and have spent far less than any contract despite forking out hundreds (which you get back on eBay)

2. Bod

Card fee

If you've got a Nationwide card you don't get any foreign transaction fees from them. However Nationwide are now passing on the fee VISA charges. Still, it's lower than most other cards.

1. Matthew Anderson

Ell Reg's review?

Or has it not arrived yet? I'm guessing you have one on order!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Hats off to google for not tieing to operator.

So glad Google made this phone available for use with any operator/carrier, rather than the lock-in to O" when the iPhone was launched and the same for the Palm Pre.

Putting concerns about privacy and what they do with your browsing history etc aside, Google really kick the rip-off proprietary old-school business models up the backside with things like this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Hats off to google for not tieing to operator.

The iPhone isn't tied to an operator/carrier either - or at least not by Apple's command.

The process for changing networks on my IPhone is: power down phone, remove current SIM, insert other carrier SIM, power up phone. The only mods I've made to the phone as bought is to load the data profiles for two additional carriers into it - it automatically selects the correct one for the installed SIM. This works whether you buy the iPhone outright or on a subsidised contract - although you still have to pay out the contract of course if you change carrier.

Don't assume all countries have the same restricted business models as yours does, for many of us iPhones are, by default, bought without carrier lock.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Seems odd...

It seems odd to me, that the phone could do GSM at 850 and 1900, but not 3G. Ahh well. I can already get Droid (with Android 2.0 on it) AND get good coverage (Verizon's embarassing AT&T a bit by advertising 5x the 3G coverage recently.) They have a majority of the US blanketed with EVDO, none of this "islands of high speed coverage" stuff.

4. iamapizza
    Alert

Has this arrived yet for anyone? El Reg?

Still waiting for mine. The status page hasn't changed in over a day. I can't imagine why, I keep pressing F5 on it.

5. dave lawless
    Boffin

Wish it had a proper kb

I've got a G1, the kb is lovely. The onscreen kb isn't.

Battery life is APPALLING. Even with my 3rd party 2100mAh battery a night out with a bit of you-tubing in the pub can leave you powerless if you crash out at a mates - I carry a USB retractable with me all the time!

6. Andrew Maddison 1
    Happy

@ Patrick 14

All phones supplied on contract by Vodafone are network unlocked - this has been their policy since a few months after I got my N95 about 2.5 years ago. Any handset that is being used on a Vodafone contract can be unlocked by them for free as well, if it was supplied before the policy came into effect.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Jon 49

Unlocked

Andrew, that's correct. However what I am more interested in is whether the Vodafone version will have customised firmware. I can live with a Vodafone Live icon, but I can't stand it when you have to wait for Vodafone to 'allow' you to download the latest firmware!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No

The Nexus won't have customized firmware. It's a Google experience phone - just like the Magic.

9. OrsonX
    Go

Flashy Light Up Tracker Ball!!!!!

Ooooohhhh!!!!!

My very first phone, a Samsung flip one, had a green intermittently flashing green LED on it. When I received an SMS it flashed red, just awesome! (I'm easily pleased).

Apparently the tracker ball on the G-phone flashes when you have a call, I mean, what more could you ask for?

I'm sold!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Multi touch on Euro version

Just seen a report which says that a euro version Nexus One currently being passed around in Germany has multi-touch....so does this mean the best thing to do is wait for Vodafone to start selling this device? Or do Euro customer automatically get sent the euro version?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like