back to article 2016 bug hits Windows phones

The date bug which is interfering with Aussie point of sale transactions has spread to some Windows mobile phones. The glitch means that text messages received since New Year's Eve will appear with a 2016 date. Card scanners in thousands of Australian shops have also been hit, as we reported yesterday. Bank of Queensland systems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Gates Halo

Fix

There was a workaround posted pretty much hours after it was discovered!

http://www.wmexperts.com/y2016-sms-bug

FAIL

Xperia X1 not affected

"My Xperia X1 is not affected..", Andy 17

'The Xperia X1 and other Windows Mobile devices have, since entering 2010 have received text messages from 2016'

http://xperia-x1.com/xperia-x1-receives-texts-from-2016/

Grenade

I'm bugged!

HTC Touch: Model No.: RAPH800 as listed in 'Device Information' Rom version: 1.03.651.4 Rom date: 11/11/08 Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional CE OS 5.2.19965; so there, someone saying they are affected =)

FYI, it happens intermittantly. My first message of the new year was dated 1/1/16, as a side-effect it wouldn't show the time of the message being that the date was so far away from the current date it thought it was irrelevant and showed the year instead. From there on out about 1/3 of my texts show incorrect date. Probably is SMS protocol related therefore. Probably I should update my firmware, but I've had WinPC phones brick on me before doing so.

Bronze badge
Coat

But the good news is...

...if we're getting messages from 2016, it means that the world didn't end in 2012! Yay!

Thumb Down

Anonymous Coward 14.26

I can assure you that the Xperia X1 sat in front of me most certainly has not encountered this problem. Post as many links as you like it wont change the fact that my phone has not been affected.

werid I'm ok.....

I have a HTC touch diamond that is fine. Stock rom and everything!

Infact I got a text shortly before I read this story, and the text had a 05/01/10 date like it should have!

I have a millenium bug...

...in a tin can. Presumably there are more of these novelty items still in existence. Could it be that some irresponsible person has opened his tin? Does no one ever learn anything from watching zombie movies?

Dont mention the war

Seems like our German friends have a more trouble with the year 2010: they can no longer withdraw money from the bank with their credit card, amongst other problems...

http://www.wdr.de/themen/computer/2/jahr2010problem/index.jhtml

Omnia 2

Stock Samsung 6.5 ROM with no carrier branding and my messages seem fine.

Silver badge

re: Its the real time clock chip

Unbelievable that it takes so many completely numpty posts before getting to one that actually understands the issue.

The problem is in the RTC driver.

Some RTC chips count in binary. Some count in BCD. If you take a BCD representation of 10 and run it through a binary decoding algorithm you'll get 16.

The problem will only strike devices which have BCD RTC hardware but used the stock WinCE RTC driver that expects binary.

Unfortunately most WinCE platform developers will tend to just use the drivers that MS or the BSP vendor sent.

Some will have tested and discovered the problem and will not be running the stock drivers.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Dont mention the war

Don't you know if you mention the Germans you must use the Reg approved phrase Teutonic people. Also most German stories on El Reg are reserved for poor souls that have accidents up on their roofs like the older gentleman that accidentally nailgunned his nutsack to the shingles and had to be rescued. Still I know first hand about German ATMs having lived in the the beautiful but damn cold country and with a foreign credit card it was always a crap shoot if was going to get money that day or not.

wow

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

so this may Force Locked in provider mobiles to bring out up to date firmware to fix this issue (my HTC Touch HD is running on 2008 year old firmware still, HTC SN Block there firmware update and phone companies cant be bothered to keep the firmware up to date, i had to get Pocket Shield Program to Stop the answer and hang up button from working as they are not buttons its touch sensitive Anything touch so very annoying)

Jos
Boffin

Like this maybe... ?

Ok, I searched for it:

decade = substring( my_YYDDD_DateString, 1,1 ) ;

--return a YYYYDDD date string.

if( decade = 0 ) then

return "20" || my_YYDDD_DateString ;

else

return "19" || my_YYDDD_DateString ;

Y2.01K bug.....

Page: