back to article US feds squeeze bloggers for posting TSA orders

At least two bloggers who posted the latest Transportation Security Administration security guidelines have received visits from the feds. One had his laptop confiscated and was served a subpoena. The other just received the subpoena. In case you've been recovering from a massive holiday bender and haven't viewed the news …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Grenade

Apparently they didn't even get the REAL guy

Passenger talks of the presence of a John Doe 2 (later in handcuffs), the existence of which is being denied by FBI:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2009/12/flight_253_passenger_kurt_hask.html

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    FAIL

Ha Ha Ha

This is a very worrying trend, instead of catching terrorists, they go after the bloggers who release what are really stupid security procedures that make them look like idiots, so I'm not allowed access my carry on baggage 1 hour before landing, OK, I'll access it 1 hour and 5 minutes before landing then.....

Jeeezz, this is the whole problem, its not security, its the illusion of security.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang 'em high!

IMO, the only good blogger that discloses confidential security info. is one hanging by their thumbs for a month.

1. Stoneshop
      Flame

And non-confidential info?

How about hanging the twats who think info is still confidential after sending it to 10k+ recipients?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Congratulations US TSA

You've just managed to decimate the last shreds of tourist income to your country.

Let's see how much Arnie has to beg us to fly to California now! Still they're not as funny as those pathetic ones of Bush incoherently rambling about visiting the US of A.

We were going to California in the spring but we'll just go east instead of west this year (and for the forseeable)

5. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Security through obscurity?

Never a good plan....

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
      Joke

Wrong side of the fence

That's now re-defined as a terrorist hiding things up his/her rear end..

6. John H Woods Silver badge

More nudity thoughts:

2 extra plus points: 1) it would cut down on CO2 emissions because most people would only fly when they had to; 2) religious nutters tend to have a problem with nudity anyway.

Also, how about comedy punishment to prevent martyrdom having any glamour? For instance, having to spend the rest of your life running on a treadmill to power an atheist website. Or wearing very very hot underpants for several hours a day.

7. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Did anyone notice ..

.. that the new "stay in your chair" directive will prevent some uppity guy from stopping the next bombing attempt? Duh..

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Expectation of privacy???

Let's see if I have this straight. The TSA sends a document - presumably by email- to 10,000 people and expects its contents to be secret.

But if you or I send an email to one person we know and trust we have no expectation of privacy ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/04/4th-amendment_email_privacy/ )

The land of the free slips ever faster down the slippery slope. The terrorists must be laughing.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone actually read the thing?

It has an expiry date of Dec 30 and was issued on Dec 25th, so my reading is that it's an immediate response to a specific incident, attempting to ensure there are no identical attempts in the pipeline.

Calm down.

10. Iggle Piggle

The terrorists have won

Well, they have certainly stopped me from having any great desire to visit the USA. I was already fairly cheesed off with the surly attitude of US customs officials, then they started taking our finger prints and photographs. Shortly afterwards they wanted our credit card details before boarding a flight. And now to add final insult to injury they want to stare at us naked or rub us in intimate areas.

Of course all of these things are perfectly reasonable if you are trying to prevent a terrorist attack but they make the whole travelling experience something rather unpleasant. For me it really is too much so I'll be doing my bit to help the US customs officials by keeping down the number of those travelling to the USA.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Security in the air is just impossible anyway

All they are trying to hide is how powerless they are, they cannot search each and every passenger, nor can they make sure nobody carries firearms onto the aircraft. Yes, I am thinking of those carbon weapons the French army uses, apparently without any metals, very light, somewhat bulky, though ... go through metal detectors without a problem ... ;-)

Their ridiculous safety rules with regards to Nivea cream, toothpaste and water ... LOL ... they do not even make an exception for holy water! Should I mention fingernail cutters, have you ever tried to attack someone with a fingernail-cutter, LOL? Or toy weapons,my 4 year old daughter's plastic knife, very gross replica of an ancient dagger, was not allowed on board (I had not packed her backpack). Which brings me to the silly questions like: Have you packed your luggage? WTF??? No, my wife has, maybe she wants to get rid of me and packed a bomb into me bag ... should I answer no, if I do, I will not be allowed to fly ... cretins!!!!

Bryan air aircraft have this nice yellow and blue plastic, tear a piece off of that, you have a lethal weapon! It can be done, I have nicked a piece in the past. Now, I am certainly in ze shitte, becoz I have given idiots the means to bring down an aircraft - should I patent the idea, so the terrorists cannot use it? Too much prior art, I'm afraid!

PS: I am fed up of the fed! Up yours, losers!

PPS: Lets chant a psalm for the brave, who saved this young idiot's underpants.

PPPS: I trust el'reg more than I should ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Phew....

...thanks for the hint...

There was me to hope using my super high strength Jamacian Rum / Russian Vodka bought legaly at duty free then, combined with a bit of cloth, say from my t-shirt ,and a thing called a match, I have a very good firebomb, but I'll stick to death by toothpick (yes had to dispose of a bloody toothpick once)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Security in the air ... summary.

" ... ... ;-) Nivea ... LOL ... holy water! fingernail cutters, LOL? WTF??? ... !!!!

"PS: losers!

"PPS: underpants

"PPPS: ;-)"

12. RW

Give it a few weeks

And all the planes will stink of urine. Doesn't the TSA realize that some people suffer from incontinence? When ya gotta go, ya gotta go. To say nothing of someone suddenly afflicted with the trots (diarrhea).

I decided years ago that I wasn't going to fly anywhere for any reason. No way I'm going to subject myself to the petty napoleons the TSA hires.

Why is there not an icon denoting "adult diaper"?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like