Feeds

back to article Dell crowned Bad Santa computer maker by angry customers

Dell customers are furious at the computer maker after it failed to deliver products in time for the holiday season, and instead offered a "Holiday Card" to place under their Christmas trees to replace undelivered gifts. The company issued a statement on 17 December in which it said that it had been hit by order delays due to " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pint

Threaten to Cancel the order

A Lawyer told me that if you place an order with the wording "TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE" on the order. If the company does not come through on the promised date (in writing) then you can cancel the order post haste and the company does not have a leg to stand on.

FAIL

Dell late in its deliveries

I do not know about anyone else but if someone were to give me a Dell I would politely say no thanks and either say give the money to charity or ask for a gift certificate to buy my own computer at a reputable establishment.

In other words I would refuse any DELL computer offered free or otherwise. If pressed I would say if you insist on a Dell please give it to some charity who needs a worthless computer.

Dell's business stuff's not so bad.

I had a bad experience with a shoddily made Dell home desktop years ago and they earned my wrath. I've seen a lot of dell laptops crap out too over the years. But at my previous job we had Dell business desktops which I was very impressed with. They had some nicely designed cases that made it easy to open things up and swap parts, and generally held up pretty well. We also bought four or five used dell xeon 1U servers which for the price were excellent-- they had dual power supplies, hardware raid, good network cards, ECC RAM, and were generally pretty spiffy. Just my experience.

Megaphone

Home users...

From a quick glance at this thread, most of these retards are buying from Dell HOME division. First mistake. NEVER EVER buy from home, always order from the business side of the operation, then you get treated like a human being. The machine build quality is better and the support is better.

And also, I completely agree with Ian @ 21:10! It's simply suicide to keep large inventories stocked in the computing business. Technology can change in the blink of an eye, leaving you with stock that isn't worth half what it was when you bought it 12 hours ago. Can anyone think of any companies that enjoy screwing people over in this way... whats that you say? You can't? How about Apple, that bunch of useless wankers that bring out new machines or MASSIVE price reductions with no warning to the end user before they order!

Bottom line is, if you want RECENT hardware at reasonable prices, use your fucking brains and don't expect people like Dell to keep it on ice, it isn't feasible. Simple as. Perhaps also do SOME of your xmas shopping more than two weeks in advance when you KNOW that theres going to be competition for certain things. Like computers. It's pants-on-head retarded to do anything else.

(and yes I know the Apple-bash was a little off topic, but it is a valid point)

Coat

someone

..failed to properly read the article before having his little hissy fit. Classy.

FAIL

Memory shortages

I find it hard to believe that Dell wouldnt have seen the memory shortages coming. Nearly every must buy peice of tech over christmas had a huge chunk of memory in it. I assume this was the reason for memory prices going from £10 per GB to £15 per GB late last year.

Grenade

One of the problems...

...of custom ordering.

If they have a "just in time" stock policy, which is understanderble in HiTech industries, then they are at the mercy of the stock levels of their suppliers.

It's not the customers fault, so all the morons deriding the "idiot" end users, how many people go to the farm, pick the chicken, slaughter it, process it then eat it, or do you eat any old shit you buy in the shops and hope that it's what you want? It's called convenice and the fact 99.9999% of the population really don't give a **** about the CAS rating of a memory module. So grow up and see a life outside IT people, there is one.

PS my pc I built myself 6 years ago and is just fine thanks, I have other priorites than getting wet over the fact the graphics card is bright red.

Happy

the solution is easy.

I walked into the Apple store and walked out with a 4GB, 250GB Macbook Pro and a 260GB Lacie backup drive in under 15 minutes.

Sometimes cheap is just that. Some people get what they deserve buying a Dell. That's what you get for being tight. If you don't pay for service and quality, you don't get any.

what's the Latin for 'the buyer is an idiot?' Retardo emptor?

WTF?

@adey

Dell arent cheap. But tesco are cheaper and you get better service with them! The end is nigh for dell.

Apparently

If you order a Latitude now you can get guaranteed Xmas Delivery

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/business/4x_latit_e5500/fs.aspx?refid=4x_latit_e5500&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

That's got to be the longest delivery schedule I've seen!

WTF?

Well if you will order online...

... expect to wait.

There is an alternative - walk into a physical shop and buy a new computer. Of course you'll pay more for doing that, but then you (usually) can get it as soon as you've paid.

If you order anything online, you make an order and then you wait for the goods to be delivered. When they get delivered is really down to the person sending them and if you don't like that then don't buy stuff online.

WTF?

@adey

I read your post about going into apple and buying the PC then your comment about the buyer is an idiot. Apt. Very apt.

To me the story is about people buying online, to have it delivered at their convenience, so they don't have to find an apple store and for most people that means travelling to a city some hours away and fighting other people in crowds and parking fees for the privilage. To then bling it up with the annoying sales pitch and the really annoying staff, getting a machine that Apple won't let you get because you get no customisation, you are charged vast over pricing because they hold the monopoly for a "badge" that people like you obviously suck upto. I say obvious because you bought one.

Dell shoppers want convenience of their arm chair, no lock ins with iSuck or whatever other branded crap you get and above all the custom build or custom things they want or need. Not what Jobsian fanboi's are told they want by the brain washing ad campaigns and pretty lights.

WTF?

Dell - logistically

Isn't this the company whose claim to fame initially was logistical prowess unrivaled by any other PC maker. Seems they've forgotten their roots.

Thumb Down

Dell Computers

I ordered/used Dell Laptops/Desktops/Workstations almost exclusively for the last 10 years in all of my jobs. Their quality at all ends of the purchase/fulfillment/support spectrum has plummetted in the last few years. I recently started ordering/testing HP laptops and workstations which I've been happy with them so far. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever find a manufacturer that the powers that be are comfortable with while getting the performance/service level I'd like.

That would be me

I ordered late November thinking normal turn around is about a week. I have since received 3 notifications that the shipping date has slipped and do I want to cancel...I just keep on waiting , cause it was a special and dirt cheap

FAIL

I am @dell_ruins_xmas

Hi there all,

I am @dell_ruins_xmas.

My twitter account is back up and running now, thanks to this article. Just wanted to say that Dell were completely useless. Their customer service department couldn't help with anything, they couldn't say what part was out of stock (it was the Phenom X4 Processor), and couldn't suggest anything except wait a few days, then get a refund (leaving me 2 days until Xmas)

I was lied to numerous times including

- Your order was bumped as orders were placed after yours

- We ran out of the processors, but they're back in now - two days later, no they never arrived.

My advice for all other cusotmers, use twitter and facebook. They have an entire CS team dedicated to social media, and it shows how powerful a tool it can be. I've sent letters to Dell, emails, phonecalls, twitter, facebook PMs, and in the end, yes, I got my computer for my family before Xmas, but not without a lot of hard work. And what did they do to say sorry, refunded my £20 delivery. A shambles!

Anyway, follow me on @dell_ruins_xmas for more information, and if you want to actual contacts at Dell in both UK and US, i can help you out with who to talk to, to help get your order moving!

Cheers,

Dan Slater, aka @dell_ruins_xmas

http://twitter.com/dell_ruins_xmas

Just-in-time FAIL

We had this experience from time to time when buying servers from Dell in the past and because it was hacking our customers off we moved to HP.

The Dell built-to-order just-in-time model is often lauded as a model of efficiency but the reality is that although it saves Dell a few quid when it fails it's the customers who suffer.

With HP we can see what's in stock and order off the shelf from distribution for delivery next day. Any customisation we need we can do very easily ourselves by fitting HP disks, memory or CPU packs.

FAIL

Taking a chance

I would never buy from a company like Dell for pre-christmas delivery. As state by many JIT stocking procedures have been implemented by many companies including my own factory I work at and all our customers and suppliers. JIT is also as others stated great as long as you don't get huge orders with short deliver times then there is a massive problem. In our shop that problem is low quality parts that are borderline at best going out the door and probably weeks late also. The other problem with JIT is bad customers. We have 2 customers that before the recession were good customers but now they have to pay in advance since they have several orders that have sat for months on the shelf waiting for payment still.

JIT is good if you are like Dell at the end of the line and want low costs. If your a Dell customer though it is bad since you will end up buying junk that barely passes quality standards or is possibly ready to fail on delivery.

Linux

Ding dong Dell

I got a Computer from my friendly local computer firm about 6 years ago and had them upgrade it a year ago.

I had a talk with the nice chap , there and decided on the Motherboard, CPU etc, and had him install them in the old case.

It was a very reasonable cost and any of my problems get solved in reasonable time. It is a home computer so I don't expect priority .

Maybe buying local could be better for a lot of people, as they all have very similar bits.

One thing I made sure of was a good quality PSU.

I will not ever buy a Dell .

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.