Feeds

back to article Nokia N900 Linux smartphone

Once the unequalled leader among mobile phone manufacturers, Nokia still returns impressive sales, but ceded its dominance of the smartphone market with the arrival of the iPhone. It's been playing catch-up ever since, sticking rigidly to a Symbian OS that only seemed to grow older looking with each new device. Nokia N900 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

WTF?

No one will write apps for it?

I must be imagining these oodles of applications in my application manager, as well as the thousands of existing Linux FOSS projects that can be ported with minimal effort then.

Heart

N900 on Tmobile UK

I've confirmed with Tmobile uk that they will be shipping in Q1 2010. Also, they said that CPW will have it before them so if you can't wait then head on over. I should've really kept this nugget of info for myself until I got one but since I'm helping out fellow IT nerds, what the hell.

On a more serious note, I WANT ONE. I NEED ONE. My HTC is fubar.

FAIL

Bastards

Nokia has no plans to release the N900 in Australia.

Bastards.

Bastards.

Thumb Down

"Nokia has no plans to release the N900 in Australia."

Ditto.

Bastards... Bastards...

Linux

Bring this phone to Australia, please

I'm sure hoping there are some Nokia people with the right influence reading this...

Anyhow, just found this on Tom's... bit more about the phone:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nokia-N900-Maemo,review-1468.html

PUSH N900

hi guys,

thought some of you might be interested in what's been happening in the PUSH N900 project. Basically, it was a competition for hackers/modders/developers where they were asked to use the power of the N900 and attach it to 'something they love' - whether it be a skateboard, a geo-location belt or an etch-a-sketch. The submission date for entries has passed so now it's just a matter of watching the five winning teams starting to bring their creations to life.

They'll be regularly updating the PUSH blog with progress reports and there will also be video updates from the teams.

Check it out, all the winning designs are looking like they could be awesome!

http://blogs.nokia.com/pushn900/

proud owner of an n900

great phone, love it. buy one.

FLAC gets no respect

Is it that god damn hard to put a FLAC codec in the media player for christs sake.

Because PARIS wants FLAC too!

WTF?

FLAC support

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=350209&postcount=4

Thumb Up

Happy N900 owner

I've had a N900 since Tuesday and I'm loving it. Yes it's a bit of a brick because of the slide-out keyboard but no worse than the N97, in a handset that is more versatile than the good old Communicator phones.

In terms of hardware, it feels very responsive thanks to the Arm processor and the GPU. The touch screen is very nice to use, a lot better than the N97 and on a par with the HTC Tattoo. The stylus is useful when browsing web sites set in small size fonts as it's easier to hit the links with it than with your thumb, but the rest of the interface doesn't require the stylus. In fact, the only hardware snafu is that the headphone socket is located such that the headphone jack interferes with typing on the keyboard when you have it plugged in.

As a phone, it's the best one I have owned for a very long time. The sound quality is excellent and crystal clear. Signal reception is also very good. The past 3 handsets I've had would be unable to get a signal if I strayed more than a few metres away from the windows in my flat. The N900 shows maximum reception throughout the building. I suspect this is because it's very good at switching back to stronger 2G or 2.5G signals when it is out of range of a 3G signal.

In terms of connectivity, Wi-Fi also works flawlessly and the phone will automatically switch to Wi-Fi for internet services as soon as you are in range of a known network. In my case, as soon as I am back home, it reconnects to the home Wi-Fi and disconnects 3G services. This can have an interesting side effect as the N900 can also work as a Skype phone: configure your Skype account and it will give you the option to call Skype contacts through VOIP rather than a standard call. I haven't tried that yet though so I don't know how well it works.

Push email is very easy to set up and it knows the defaults for a number of well known providers, including Google, in which case you will get a simplified wizard. Calendars can only be local at the moment but the interface suggests that shared calendars are on the roadmap and should be available at some point.

When it comes to software, Maemo is indeed based on Debian and you can add more repositories to get access to more software. In particular, you can enable the Extras repositories to have access to admin tools such as an ssh client and server. What this also means is that, contrary to a lot of network branded handsets out there, whenever an update is available in the Maemo repositories, it will offer you to update your system. So any bug fixes or new features will make their way down to your handset.

If you want to develop your own apps, there is a whole development kit that you can install on Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora and that enables you to write Python or C++ apps (sorry, no Java). Or you can simply write good old Python (2.5), Perl (5.8.3) or shell scripts. You can even do that directly on the handset: it comes with a terminal app, it's got vi installed and if you really miss syntax highlighting you can get vim or PyGTKEditor from the Extras repositories.

The N900 is not for everybody but it's a geek's dream, in addition to being an excellent phone.

Anonymous Coward

No Wi-Fi?

This phone doesn't seem to have Wi-Fi. Why would one buy such a device?

Stop

@No Wi-Fi

Im not sure where you got that idea, it certainly does have wifi

Bronze badge

I finally got to see one.

Local nutter at the bar's got one.

He's been using it constantly - always on the phone. I get a couple of calls per day, he seems to get 10 per hour! Amazing.

Problem is, he's totally deaf and dumb, just makes strange unintelligible grunting sounds instead of speech, and he's as mad as a hatter. Only way he can order a beer is to point. Laser pen, natch. Early adopter, obviously.

Would've been even better if said nutter had a SIM card for it, but....keeps him happy.

But, I had a look, and it's quite neat. Physically. Without the SIM, it didn't do much, however.

Not at that price - thanks, but no thanks.

Another eager Orange user

Just talked with Orange, and sadly their phone upgrade line staff don't seem to know much about the state of the phone market. Which is a shame, since I got through to an otherwise charming young lady :P

I've told them that they need to get it in stock, or truthfully, I might find myself switching network.

Here's hoping they get some in, and don't fiddle with them too much, either.

teh awesome

i love my n900.

get one.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.