back to article Windows 7 soars while Mac OS X trips online

Windows 7 saw healthy growth in web-tracked usage in its first full month of release while Mac OS X found itself moving in a direction Cupertino is not used to: downward. The web-watchers at NetApplications report that when tracked on a daily basis, Windows 7 now accounts for five per cent of operating systems using the web. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Linux

Well...

If Microsoft are offering a FREE replacement for the Vista pile of Crap that came with my Laptop I might consider it, in the mean-time I'll stick with Linux (it works better than Vista).

IT Angle

curious title

"Windows 7 soars while Mac OS X trips online"

"The breakdown of which operating systems Windows 7 is taking share from in November is as follows: Windows XP -1.43%, Windows Vista -0.28%, All Mac Versions -0.15%"

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=42&qptimeframe=D&qpcustom=Windows+7&qpsp=3941&qpnp=46&sample=10

Also, what methodology did NetApplications use to come to these conclusions.

@Top of the Ops

You mean something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOb4Ac2CLXA

Thumb Up

Actually...

That's the spirit, but specifically I had this music in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQxevoJIuTU

Perhaps I'm a bit younger than you!

Thumb Up

Statistics.....

5% of the coverage but $1 in every $10 spent, sounds like Macs cost twice as much as Windows PCs, or put another way, a PC is half the price (or twice the value). Anyone surprised?

My girlfriend uses Vista on her laptop with Office 2007, I built a netbook (for Uni) with Ubuntu and Open Office, as much as it does a similar job it wasn't close enough to be worth the effort of learning another tool (and yes, her time is so precious that a few hours makes all the difference), so on went W7 & Office 2007 instead, it's nice and quick and does the job.

Got both systems... considerations

I've got both systems and might say that Windows 7 improved a lot from Vista. I read recently about a "black screen of death" problem on Windows 7 but i still didn't see it. Windows 7 improves the user experience and it's visually more modern. It seems more stable in line with XP SP2.

Anyway i always read a lot of pros and cons about MacOS and decided to give a try on MacOS X Snow Leopard (bought a Macbook 13") and let me say i'm liking it a lot! It works well, very fast, great window manager and usability. It was indeed a good surprise for me. The price of the Macbook should be cheaper but paying only $28 for Mac OS X Snow Leopard OS is cheap.

Both are great products and each person should ideally try each and judge for her own. I don't think MacOS is that "scary monster and menace" that Microsoft people is afraid of and wants that 1% extra marketshare... it's greedy! But i also understand that with Windows 7 being a good product, Microsoft wants to payback and get revenge of all those Apple advertisements "Mac vs PC"! :-)

Regarding Linux, well i have also tried several recent distributions, it's OK, made a lot of progress on last years, it works really fine, a lot of FREE software available, it's closer to common consumer but without the commercial support from the main HW manufacturers it won't be a real business and won't reach the mass market.

Terminator

Groundhog Day

OSX = easy to use, ultrasecure, beautiful, just works, blah blah

Windows 7 = familiar, ubiquitous, compatibility, much improved, blah blah

Linux ? much improved, secure, more technical, hardware issues, not quite there yet, blah blah

Can't we change this record now? I'm thinking of that montage scene in The Parallax View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNMi8fXi5Os

Try this:

Linux = ubiquitous, just works, secure, beautiful, much improved, blah blah

OSX = familiar, not quite there yet, compatibility, much improved, blah blah

Windows 7 ? ultrasecure, more technical, easy to use, hardware issues, blah blah

Thumb Up

I'm no Fanboi

But you have to hand it to Apple. They have taken advantage of Microsoft/dell/hp etc mistakes and are successfully selling expensive PCs to the mass market. I wouldn't go for one, but but still.... good work.

Go

@*sigh*

Who cares about market share? Well, Chrysler, GM, all the once prominent typewriter makers, the Swiss watch makers, and etc. ad infinitum.

One day soon when you grow up, get a job and actually attempt to provide for your family and create some sort of retirement plan, market share will become very important to you. That is assuming you plan on keeping the money you earn as opposed to squandering it on bad businesses that lose money, fail to adapt and go belly up.

FAIL

Market share...

Market share *is* irrelevant. Profitability is what is relevant to businesses and Apple are doing just fine with their OS's "5%". To use your GM analogy (perfect) they have a far greater share of the market than BMW, but BMW are far more profitable and represent a far more profitable investment. Apple make and sell both the hardware and software, which means that they are more profitable per unit sold, which in turn means they require less market share to make a profit vs. Dell, HP, Sony et c. In real terms, they aren't competing with Microsoft. The OS share in itself is a meaningless measure. What is more interesting AND more telling would be hardware sales (ie how Dell/HP/Sony/Acer et c performed vs. Apple). It would also give a more realistic idea of OS distribution. One day soon when you grow up, get a job and actually attempt to provide for your family and create some sort of retirement plan, you'll understand this very simple concept.

@Simon Banyard

hah hah hah classic!!!!!! So Windows is an unprofitable franchise for MS then? Urrrrrrrrr yeaahhh.......

NetApplications stats are a joke

These days they weight web hits per country based on that territory's number of Web users to obtain the overall figures, rather than going purely on Web hits alone. Therefore a country like China, which statistically has over 300 million Web users who may only use the Net once every couple of weeks, is positively weighted against a country like the USA where people live on the Internet. It makes the compiled global stats completely meaningless, especially as the only real benefit on these stats, the trending, hasn't now been around long enough under the new system to get a clear idea of the direction.

Pretty rubbish really.

N2

Do I detect

A whiff of competition in the air?

Perhaps it will keep Apple, Microsoft & Linux developers on their toes summoning the end of products being pushed out the door too soon.

So what ever O/S you use, I hope it will continue to improve, surely a good thing for every one, consumers, businesses, pros & commentards alike.

sigh

No wonder I often feel like the only techy reading articles on the reg that mention Apple.

Why would the numbers of patch requests for windows count? Surely they're not covering microsoft.com due to the amount of bias that would create, likewise they wouldn't be covering apple.com either - since my macbook grabs updates with a similar degree of frequency to my windows boxes.

Also, the number of people grubbing for drivers would be pretty minimal since vista drivers work in win7 and the rest of users would either have bought the OS with a new system or be using a system deployed by an IT department.

Come on, use your brain and stop being an obvious troll.

And yes, the trend for Apple is upwards and good news for those of us who are interested in computing in geneeral, rather than braindead fanbois of either persuasion.

More successful OS makers means a greater amount of things to play with :)

Oh, and the black screen of death, isn't that just the old netlogon problem from waaay back in NT days where it was waiting on a response from a server before loading the profile? Anyone checked the DRM module to see if it's having trouble finding its server?

Flame

They could lie...

... and say Apple are doing great, but then no one would believe them ever again.

just wonder

I just wonder how much better the Mac OS would do if Apple actively sought out HP, DELL, ACER and others to pre-load Snow Leopard?

Sure it is nice selling the whole expensive pie. But, with triple the marketshare comes great benefits, called applications.

Maybe Microsoft is telling Apple that if it does not restrict itself Microsoft will drop the office suite?

Of course opening up the applications marketplace for the Mac may be likewise for Linux.

Pre-load Snow Leopard?

"I just wonder how much better the Mac OS would do if Apple actively sought out HP, DELL, ACER and others to pre-load Snow Leopard?"

Why in the world would they do that? Apple makes money on the hardware, not the software. Mac fans are going to buy a Mac regardless of the applications. Apple is already ridiculously profitable, why screw it up?

@Lewis Mettler 1

" But, with triple the marketshare comes great benefits, called applications."

Funny, I haven't found a single Windows application that I need on my Mac. Also interesting that Windows fan tout the number of applications as a Good Thing [tm] then ridicule the iPhone for its huge number of applications. I prefer a few good applications to a load of crap.

"Maybe Microsoft is telling Apple that if it does not restrict itself Microsoft will drop the office suite?"

I doubt that, Microsoft make a ton of money from selling Office for the Mac, though I suspect that number is dwindling with the likes of iWork and OpenOffice becoming more popular.

e-berlin.org

Nothing new. When Vista appeared the chart looked in exactly the same way, but after two months (when people actually used M$'s new OS and returned to XP after the unsuccessful experiment) things changed - Mac stood up, XP gained old levels.

@danny_0x98

Dude: 36 months to December 2012. I re-ran your numbers and I get that 2013 is the year of the haiku desktop. I confirmed those findings with the Magic 8-Ball.

Silver badge
FAIL

So..

Why are there no lines for XP and Vista on the chart, or better still and aggragate of all Windows usage?

Student discount in US

Students get Windows 7 for 30 bucks in the US. I go to a Tech University and major in CompSci and it's automatically included in my MSDN license (which the school gives me at no additional expense).

Wonder how much of the pie is taken up by these kinds of student sales.

Anonymous Coward

Business success

I was going to post the following:

"5.12% market share for OS-X?? Snigger! :-D"

Then I thought about the profits and success of Apple The Business, and well... I don't think they're too upset about that really in the big scheme of things!

Jobs Halo

@Doug Glass

Awww Poor Doug.

He thinks market share in some way relates to a good business! lol How sweet.

Google "margins" sometime and go back to school.

Some people.

PS I have made more money from AAPL since 1998 than you will in your entire career.

Grenade

Meaningless

To begin with, the quality of their data is questionable. The hits are recorded by a self-selecting set of websites whose traffic may not be representative of the Web as a whole. (Remember that Web != Internet.) Browsers have long misidentified themselves to fool sites that check user-agent strings. I consider the country-level weighting very dubious. Many developing countries have heavily-used internet cafes, but not many home computers. This inflates the users-to-computers ratio, so weighting by population significantly overestimates the number of computers. It's better than nothing, but their numbers should be considered to have a large margin of error, and are most accurate only for long-term trends, not absolute quantities.

Next, Windows 7 went to public beta in January, release candidate at the end of April, and on sale in October. Which corresponds perfectly to the increases in market share. No surprises here.

Finally, there are obviously month-to-month fluctuations, so a single-month decline means nothing. What is significant is that over the last two years, the Mac share grew from about 3.7% to 5.1%, and Linux from 0.7% to 1%. Apple is getting more people to use their high-priced computers during an economic depression - they must be doing something right.

Anonymous Coward

Very dark.

Am I the only one thinking that 5%, 4% and 1% add up to 10% and that this graph proves, therefore, that most people aren't using Windows, MacOS or Linux but some other mysterious 'dark OS' which can only be observed by its effects on other operating systems?

'Dark browsers' also appear to exist, but exhibit less of a pull as only about 8% of browsers aren't mentioned in the article. Could one of these dark browsers be the infamous Nutscrape which was thought to have become extinct?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums