Feeds

back to article Apple cult leader emails outside world

Apple cult leader Steve Jobs has communicated with the outside world. As revealed by Crunchgear, Jobs recently sent an 11-word email to a longtime Mac developer who had come groveling to the cult leader after being threatened by a band of Apple lawyers. John Devor is the CEO of The Little App Factory, a tiny shareware outfit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Nice one Mr. Jobs

Sheesh, what a f*&kwad. Will he be providing the funds to execute the "little deal" of changing the name?

Let's see him live without third party apps altogether, as his attitude inspires absolutely no one. Does Jobs even realize how much a comment like that pisses in his own drink? I can just imagine starting a software company developing software for Macs, where I would have to explain away comments and attitudes like that presented by Apple(Jobs) to potential investors.

F^#k Apple.

god has spoken

Why do I keep thinking that this is like the Life of Brian blessed are the cheese makers!

If god really did send this commandment from the holy temple then there is only one thing for a true believer to do.......OBEY.

iPodRip is so 2004, god is right get yourself an app with more pizazz.

iPodRip is the sort of name you write on a grave stone.

Try thinking up a name that we can all relate to when your iPod/iMac goes wrong.

How about iStuffed

Jobs Halo

Apple cult leader emails outside world

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If John Devor's app is really aimed at iPod data recovery then surely there are better names then one that contains the word RIP and implies more illegal activities like a bunch of kids at school using his app to swap music like we used to swap Panini football cards back in the day.

I think if John was honest he would admit that his choice of name for his app is to increase his target audience beyond that of people wishing to recover data from their broken iPods.

As for Job's reply being short and to the point, lets not forget that this is a legal case and he was lucky to get any sort of reply at all.

Black Helicopters

what your forgetting

What people are forgetting is that apple are doing this just because they CAN and they have the money to do so after all its not a big deal that they are using the apple trademark and it wont hurt apple in any way. just a case of a corperation using bullyboy tactics.

Paris Hilton

Can't ...

... litigation lawyers contact Hugh Gray to seek approval for intended action? see

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_Apple_get_the_name_for_the_iPod

Paris Hilton

Can't ... (part 2)

... or better still can't Apple's legal police do a SWOT analysis with recommended action to the board?

(There would appear to be at least some ticks in the W and T boxes)

Gold badge

Microsoft

Oh and Microsoft has never sued anyone for trademark infringement?

Remember Lindows? it was an invented word similar to Windows but Microsoft didn't like that and forced them to change it to something else.

Yes, Windows, a dictionary word can't be used by anyone else?!?!

Cod
Headmaster

@Microsoft

Isn't Windows a trademark - along similar lines, Apple is a trademark but apple isn't...

JMTC

Troll

storng

Christ almighty, this is clearly so petty.

I once suggested El Reg stop their (wholly justified) Anti-Apple campaign to focus all efforts on toppling a greater menace to society at large, namely, Scientology.

I now realize this cannot be. Looks like you have to fight on more fronts ;)

Megaphone

I'm aghast...

...at his crappy grammar.

Seriously though, big corporation behaves shittily to the little guy. News at 11.

Yes, I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro, and I have an iPhone, and I'll continue to use them because I, like everybody else, love the shiny.

Flame

Jobs...

iPodRip—now named "iRip"; guess Jobs was right, who knew?—sells for $19.95.

The site claims over 5 million downloads.

It would appear Mr. Devor got his free publicity. Job(s) done!

(PS: To all those saying it's Jobs' fault: do go read up on how businesses work. Here's a hint: don't confuse them with charities. Jobs is a hard-nosed, ruthless businessman with a knack for salesmanship and an eye for design. Nobody has ever claimed he was a nice guy. Nice guys don't get hired by shareholders to run global corporations that still manage to turn a profit even during a major global recession.)

Roughly translated

John Denvor, for all his flowery words is asking SJ if he will make an exception in this case and let iPodRip off the hook. SJ - in a terse way - is saying no, because to make an exception for one, sets a precedent for all. That's exactly what JD should have expected.

(Sent from my iPhone)

@Maverick

' my god you ARE gullible aren't you?'

Umm, yeah, of course he is, the last line where he says he's writing it on a MacBook kinda proves that.

I think the Little App factory should change the product name to iControlFreak...

Go

Right!!

Change the name to iBidiot. Firefox changed its name once upon a time as have numerous others; sometimes it best to just go with flow and leave sleeping dragons alone.

SJ is in reality a corporate stooge and that's just the way the business works. If you don't want to play his corporate game then go find another and quit you low-down whining. Or whinging as the case may be.

FAIL

iShite

The only people this affects is the retards who buy Jobs' iSnakeOil so, frankly, who fucking cares?

Happy

So what!

If it was from him; he's a first class, arrogant c**t! No surprise there!

If it was not him; then I foresee another court case when they find out who impersonated him!

Either way, bloody funny!

Silver badge
Grenade

Sent from my iPhone

The fact he's enough of a bell-end to still have "sent from my iPhone" as a default signature tells me all I need to know.

Jobs Horns

He could change it to

MDeath as that is when it's used and Jobs hasn't trademarked the letter M yet, has he?

Does show him up for the heartless greedy bastard he is though.

As for choice of platform/device I choose whatever does whatever job best.

I own an iPod Nano and have purchased some tracks from iTunes because it connects to my stereo and Apple had the tracks I wanted.

I use a dual boot XP/Ubuntu system because stuff I run needs Windows and I like to tinker with Ubuntu.

I own a Nokia 6700 because I'm not a sheep.

WTF?

the guy's got a point

looks like trademark infringement to me. the guy should call it something else - it really is not that big a deal.

signed: Not a Mac fan (partly because I don't know how to use them/they ARE over priced(for me))

Jobs Halo

fake story is fake

He's a tool, not a moron. You don't send personal email to the target of current litigation.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Steve is right

Changing a name is no big deal. Look what happened when Apple (the record company) asked him to change his companies name.

Jobs Horns

Serious loss of credibility

This is coming from a man who has just received someone else's liver, talking to a loyal stockholder, customer and somebody that has contributed in perhaps even an indirect way to his own personal wealth.... You'd have thought he would have learned some gratitude by now, instead of making this demand.

What he should have wrote was this:

'Obviously I had no idea of the predicament our legal team had put you in. I understand your situation and will make sure that the case gets dropped immediately. Yours kindly, Steve Jobs'

This was Jobsian Haiku

What you flacks failed to notice about Jobs' pithy, "fuck off and don't bother me" reply is that he's obviously trying the new haiku app for the iPhone, iHaiku, coming to the Apps Store (or the App's store?) any day now.

FAIL

Correction

Shouldn't that be 'I-Ku'

Jobs is pathetic

Bad PR

He needs to change his product's name, perhaps to iBackup myPodRip or something like that.

Then, he can (and should) send an email to his 6 million customers (who are also Apple customers) explaining the name change. That will cost Apple a huge amount in bad PR and customer goodwill, not measurable though.

Apple has a problem - even a good product which rips of their trademark will weaken or invalidate their trademark. They have to defend their product's name like this.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Hormel set to make a killing.…

... from all those anti-spam products

What did you expect him to say?

"Go ahead. Use my trademark for your software."?

Commentators who are slating Jobs need to remember that he doesn't owe this small software author dick. He also knows that changing the name of a shareware app really is no big deal. It's not like shrinkwrap software where you have production and marketing costs.

FAIL

@RegisterFail:

Apple's lawyers are presumably on a *salary*; it doesn't cost the company a damned penny extra to dig out the usual "Stop using our IP" template, fill in the blanks and send it off.

Case law, however, makes it pretty damned clear what *might* happen to your trademarks and other IP if you don't protect it. So: they can do nothing and potentially lose a lot of money later on, or they can do *something*—at no cost to Apple—and not take the risk.

Badgers

@Sean Hunter

Surely the point isn't that you can't use Apples trademarks without a licence, which they wont provide.. but that Steve answered personally and made himself look like a dick.

This isn't some mate he has texted from the pub, it's not a Twitter-alike service with a limit on character length and it should (clearly) have been left to the lawyers.

Gold badge
Headmaster

@Dave B

You need to be more careful with your punctuation. Titling your post "god has spoken" and then mentioning "Brian blessed" makes rather more sense than it probably should in context.

iRip

They already changed the name of the app to iRip. Everything is moot and that little company is way to small to fight the 400 pound gorilla that is Apple Computer.

Anonymous Coward

SIMPLES..

iPodRip >> iPodrip

the capitalisation diferentiates the words iPod and Rip - iPod is a trademark hance construed as an infringement (tenious assertaion that may not stand up anyway!)

Once it becomes iPodrip there is no capitalisation differentiation hence no word seperation, it is one word with no trademark infringement. unless you want to argue that 'i Po drip' is some kind of infringememnt which it isn't!

Happy

@ Crazy Operations Guy

"This is very unacceptable behavior for a CEO. First he used an informal style in a business reply, Second he didn't even put forth an argument or any reasoning AT ALL (just like his followers), and he sent it from his PHONE, something that should only be done when an urgent message needs to be sent and are away from a computer, and should never be done to a customer."

Where do you work? IME this is precisely how all CEOs communicate with anyone they don't need a favour from.

The style is not "informal" it is "excessively terse and commanding".

"Arguments" are only made by people who need favours.

I have had inboxes full of messages like this.

Anyway, this guy is not a "customer". He's a developer who decided to bitch right at the celebrity CEO of Apple. What did he expect in return for circumventing Apple's developer support system? A gold-plated iPod?

FAIL

Generic Title here

Don't forget, CEO's believe the sun shines out of their posteriors, and having worked under and having contact with one or two, and being ripped out when I treat them like any other mortal, not like the apparent deity they believe they are, makes me more than cynical of them.

At the end of the day, yes you may be a CEO, you may earn more a week than I do a year, but a little courtesy doesn't cost you anything, and being an asshole doesn't endear you to people. Just because you may not NEED someone then and there, doesn't give you a right to treat them like a stain on the floor.

I am impressed he sent a message this blunt to one of the application developers, until I remember he's a CEO, an APPLE CEO, and I'd bet an asshole if I ever met them.

I'll stick with the little guys, the ones who contain humanity still, thanks muchly. People like the small businesses and the CEO's who actually are willing to deal with customers face to face, and apologise when they screw up, or give you a honest, and at least professional, response to matters. The only time I'd expect a message like that would be from a freind or a company I have a good working relationship with.

But hey, maybe I'm just dissillusioned, but I'm happy with the smaller businesses I deal with, and happy to give them my money Vs some soulless Megacorp, and would trade with a smaller business as a preference. Sure, they have to get stock from bigger people than them, but at least the small people WANT your custom, unlike APPLE who don't seem to give a crap.

Pint

Ballmer

If only Ballmer would say so little...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.