back to article Play.com leaves Modern Warfare 2 buyers empty handed

Online retailer Play.com has failed to reach out to many Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 buyers it left in the lurch after failing to live up to its guaranteed launch-day delivery promise. While many retailers, including supermarket Sainsbury’s, slashed the game’s price to around £26 ($43/€29), Play promised “guaranteed delivery …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. MEI7
    FAIL

Blinkered old idiot

A 31:

Welcome to the 21st century this isn't 1954 anymore. Just accept a lot of people would rather be playing games than meeting idiots like you preaching your ancient pastimes.

I bet in your old ,twisted and bitter mind you think that the only people who play games are either kids or white teenage males but face it Modern warfare two was the biggest first day entertainment release ever.

And seriously "go see a play".... LOL

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

get some perspective

I agree with the 'get a life'-type comments. I've ordered about 10 or 12 times from play and every time except 1 was fine and on that occasion I told them the item hadn't arrived and it was there 2 days later. I honestly think they do everything they can to keep us customers happy.

All shops have problems occasionally. Just as many problems seem to come with the obsessive behaviour from certain customers. Kind of like little boys and girls that always got what they wanted, when they wanted it, and threw a tantrum if they didn't. I'd say some of the people commenting here sound like those spoilt brats that took themselves a little too seriously when they were 6 and haven't grown up yet.

3. Stuart Elliott
    Thumb Down

Boycotted play.com ages ago

Been let down twice by them, so switched to coolshop.co.uk - I had the PC edition of MW2 on the Saturday before launch for a paltry £24.99 p&p included, so my only gripe was with Steam not allowing me to install it until the Tuesday.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@MEI7

Well, I'm guessing that that blinkered old idiot will live longer than you do, you tw@t. Games are great (I have been playing since Space Invaders was new in the arcades)., but need to be tempered with other activities. I can honestly say, that no matter how good the games are, even now, I have had much more fun doing other activities. The trouble with the current generation of hardcore gamers, is that because they NEVER try anything else, they don't realise this until its too late.

Go on, try something REAL. Like a real guitar, or a real race car, or a real gun (not against other people though!). All of which are much more fun in real life.

5. Steve Swann
    Flame

The following post may contain sarcasm...

"I'm not sure what is more surprising...

That anyone believed that Play would honour their guarantee, or that anyone in their right mind would pay £45 for a derivative of a Doom type game...."

Why yes! Why didn't I see that before! I mean surely buying new software for any reason is just stupid? I mean, who in their right mind would pay over £150 for a copy of MSOffice which is just a derivative of Wordstar?! Or how about buying Windows 7 when thats just a derivative of Windows ME? How stupid we all are! Now, please go away you well named backwards horse.

To all of you "Get a life" preachers - Please just be quiet. I have NO intention of taking up any of following mindless activities - Jogging (Trainers cost more than PC Games), going to the pub (costs more EACH time than a PC game), Watching/Participating in sport (Turns you into a neanderthal as far as I can tell and will certainly cost you more to participate in than PC games). You are not holier than anyone, and you are not special or morally superior because you can whack a ball with a club or sink 20 pints in a single evening. Now, please just jog on and leave us to enjoy OUR chosen, harmless pastime.

To the critics of the game - have you actually PLAYED it? No? Well, I'm suprised. Not. I will freely admit it's not the most flexible FPS gameplay of all time, but I did enjoy it's pace and variations in setting, particularly enjoyed the Ice Climb/Snowbike sequence. My biggest criticism is that it was over within a day or so of playing.

kthxbai. (goes back to pwning all your bases).

6. Jay 2
    Thumb Down

21 days!

Have been using Play for quite a while now. Generally they're OK price-wise (though Amazon are usually 1p cheaper, though super saver delivery takes a bit longer). One thing that does annoy me is that when an item is 'lost' you have to wait 21 days from the original dispatch date before they'll do anything about it (could have sworn it was 14 days before). So recently due to the posties playing silly buggers I had to wait a month to get hold of a 4GB Memory Stick. Still at least the pre-order Windows 7 turned up more-or-less on time (strikes permitting).

7. Sweeping Brush
    Paris Hilton

Cheap in Ireland

Got it from Smyths in Ireland on day of release for 40 euro, which has now been bumped up to 54 euro.

Is this a new tactic, launch day have it about 25% cheaper and then bump it up, as its the first time I've seen it.

I will of course be taking advantage of this tactic next weekend for Assassassassassassassassins Creed :)

Paris (her price is always low)

8. Ed Azzopardi
    Unhappy

Still empty handed

It is the 17th and, despite an email from Play.com saying that the game was dispatched, I am still waiting anxiously. They had also sent me a previous email saying they'd dispatch by courier to ensure delivery on release date. I must admit that I live in Malta but, even if the courier were walking backwards, he'd have made over in ten days.

9. MEI7
    Thumb Up

Misunderstanding...

"Well, I'm guessing that that blinkered old idiot will live longer than you do, you tw@t. Games are great (I have been playing since Space Invaders was new in the arcades)., but need to be tempered with other activities. I can honestly say, that no matter how good the games are, even now, I have had much more fun doing other activities. The trouble with the current generation of hardcore gamers, is that because they NEVER try anything else, they don't realise this until its too late.

Go on, try something REAL. Like a real guitar, or a real race car, or a real gun (not against other people though!). All of which are much more fun in real life."

Now this is a person who I can respect. I was pretty annoyed when I wrote the first post so it didn't come across to well... First of all you don't knock games as a some medium for teens and actually play them yourselves but crucially all the things you list to do are actually fun to do.

The other person didn't seem to understand the appeal of games and listed a frankly lame list of alternatives apart from the all encompassing "go out".

Hope this clears things up I don't want to be seen as some hardcore elitist gamer or the polar opposite of that person in a bad way because I'm not.

10. sanderg
    Thumb Down

still no game......

Ordered 3rd Sept 09, still not here 18th November !

Didn't even dispatch the game until after 4pm on the day of release and that fact was confirmed both via email and via a customer rep on the phone, so quite how it was going to reach me by release day I have no idea. And yet PLAY are still blaming (and I email them everyday, just to make myself feel better) the courier service? They haven't got back to me regarding how they expected it to arrive GUARANTEED on day of realease if they didn't dispatch it until the day of release, but I expect that's an excuse they are finding hard to conjure......

Fortunately picked a copy up at Morrisions for £26, so if PLAY's ever does arrive it'll back in the post the same day (however I bet mine gets back quicker than their's gets to me, if it ever does.........)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.