Feeds

back to article Microsoft boots modders off Xbox Live

One year after it warned that Xbox 360 owners who've modified their consoles would be kicked off Xbox Live, Microsoft today confirmed that a percentage of subscribers have indeed been given the boot. Modifying an Xbox 360 to play copies of games is “a violation of the Xbox Live terms of use”, Microsoft warned on 13 November 2008 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pirate

Modchips

Please, for every 1 person that installs a modchip so that they can play an out-of-region game, 99 will be installing them to be able to play free/cheap copies of games.

Can't feel too worried that they being booted off Live. MS have always been clear that you pay to play. So wannabe pirates will have to have two xboxen or a switch to offline 'steal' mode and 'online/live mode'.

Only issue will be if MS boot people who have done nothing wrong other than replacing the HDD drive with something larger. That would bite given the cost/size of the official units.

Paris Hilton

jeez... u people r retrtd..

OK I'll give a hint..

Paris: "Because when you see one you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away."

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Gates Horns

Banned

I've owned my XBOX 360 for 7 months and it was modded the day I bought it.

Banned on Sunday using IXtreme firmware 1.51

I would wager that more than 15% of Live users in Australia have been banned - 3% worldwide sounds a conservative estimate.

Fortunately you can still play games with a banned box, just not online.

I know for a fact that the ban followed the latest XBOX live Experience update which was installed on Saturday

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Troll

@Troll

"the meme has gone out of style"

and anyway, it's called a 360 because that's how many days it takes to get a RROD*

*on average.

i.e. you get it for Christmas, and just before Xmas next year it will fry :) Well, mine did.

MrM

My Opinion

Surely you could just create a new Gamertag and Live ID and start again?

I would think the most dissapointing thing for a lot of those banned is effectively losing their Gamerscore!

Gates Halo

Seems like a reasonable response from Microsoft

They are quite within their rights to ban the freetards from Live (its in the ToS black and white), they arent bricking the console and from what I've heard they don't even ban the Live account itself. The user owns the 360 and as such they can change it and do stuff to it - but they don't own Live and access to Live is not a right that comes with having the 360.

As regards the sales tactic commens than yes they obviously want you to buy a new 360 but they arent putting a gun to your head on that one. If not a single one of the banned users bought another 360 I seriously doubt they would lose alot of sleep over it. You've already bought the 360 orignally and since you are pirating chances are you aren't buying alot of games so they lose out on what £40 a year for your Live? Big deal!

With timing it with the release of MW2 it not only ensures high levels of media coverage of the ban to remind people of the possible consequences of modding their console it also helps that the people frantic to play MW2 might just go out and buy another 360, also it means that people who want it but are tempted to save the £50 and pirate the game might just buy it instead so the publisher wins too.

I'm genuinely shocked at the way some of the media is painting Microsoft as the bad guys here (yes Radio1 I'm looking at you), some days I swear if MS went round capturing serial killers there would be some hack interviewing the killers about how their rights had been violated and why shouldnt they be free to go round killing people.

Anonymous Coward

Xbox bannings

I thought that they could not detect the firmware itself but the fact that people play pre-release games. You have to be totally retarded to do that if you are on Live.

The PS3 has not been hacked yet because nobody has found a way of doing it, not through lack of trying. Now that the new slim ps3 is coming out (out already?) you can't run Other OS any more so why ain't it been hacked yet then?

The only way I could see is if someone decrypted the firmware modified it so that it can play ISOs from disk, then find an exploit in the PS3 firmware to flash the firmware.

And to the people who say it's because of the BD-ROM, what would stop people burning a ISO loader to a disc then using that like for the PS2 and just buy a huge hard drive or two. Also you can download any file from the internet on the PS3 and execute it, unless it's signed by sony it will not run. Anyone want to exploit that?

Thumb Down

MICROSOFT NOT SO GREEN

So how many xbox's does this effect? The chipped boxes will have to be replaced with another xbox. This is not such a green move. I'm putting in a complaint to Bill.

WTF?

Net neutrality

This smacks like net neutrality. No tribunal, no judge, no jury, no appeals.. Just blatant enforcement, yay.

Troll

haha owned

regardless of the tit for tat fanboi arguments that will ensue from this i find it utterly funny and if any of these people buy another 360 then its even more funnier. its hard to see if this will force the l33t haxxors onto other consoles its certainly possible.

Thumb Up

Net neutrality

"This smacks like net neutrality. No tribunal, no judge, no jury, no appeals.. Just blatant enforcement, yay."

Only one person mentionned that .. funny really

fanboys to blinded to argue about their toys

Society is falling asleep here :)

as for the 360 joke, it highlights the point, consoles really don't help your brain.With a bit of hope the 360 banned gamer will start visiting libraries ? :D

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.