Feeds

back to article NASA: the world will not end in 2012

The apocalypse is not scheduled for December 21, 2012, according to NASA. Scientists at the US space agency are taking an unusual swipe at doomsday crackpottery this week in an online campaign designed to address fears fueled by the end of a cycle in the ancient Mayan calendar, a Hollywood movie, and a fresh wave of pseudo- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

A hundred years

D'oh! The count is off by 100 years.

Everyone knows that the world as we know it will be destroyed when the Temples of Parliament in London and The White Temple in Washington are torn down by the Elders in their joyous return in 2112.

Hell they even wrote a song about it.

Bronze badge
Coat

Direction of curl is crucial!

@Disco-Legend-Zeke: Probably caused by improper recycling of all those curly light bulbs.

You do realise that the direction of the curl matters greatly? Clockwise for the Northern Hemisphere, counterclockwise for the Southern...or is it the other way?

Mine's the one with the incandescent in the pocket...no need to worry!

Troll

What can you expect

From the people that faked the moon landing to hide their secret bases.

Their budget forecast doesn't go past 2012 so they must expect the world to end...

400,000 years

As far as I know, it was around 400,000 years ago that the poles "flipped" so we are pretty much due another flip soon, indeed the magnetic poles have been playing up a bit so there is evidence to suggest that its going to happen soon, just remember that all them nuclear bombers will suddenly "flip" too and drop all their bombs, upwards! End of the world is (possibly) nigh!!!

how

do you hide a planet or meteorites? With a large blanket? Perhaps the world has already ended, but it has been "hidden" from us? On the other hand, "as far as we know" and such statements aren't exactly concrete. I think i might not give a shit either way. Pub anyone?

Paris Hilton

How many times have we been through this?

The world was supposed to end in the year 2000, last i checked nothing happened and reports of the millennium bug launching nukes turned out to be way off the mark... Then they put it back to 2001 saying that was the REAL millennium, alas nothing happened.

But if anyone wants to have an end of the world party, I'll attend just because we all need a good party.

Paris because, well she'd attend the party.

Thumb Up

@Galaxy Bob

Way to cover your tracks, with the </sarcasm> addition.

Don't worry we know you know that they know but pretend not to know so that those who don't know won't know.

Coat

@dervheid

So you think that previous temperature fluctuations mean that current ones aren't a problem? Congratulations! You get to be today's recipient of a clue!

Were you thinking of the Holocene Climatic Optimum? Same effect but different causes: http://qurl.com/ysqrc

Or possibly the Medieval Warm Period? Not as warm as it is now: http://qurl.com/m4ydk

I won't be needing the coat for a while yet, thanks.

Joke

RIght !

I forgot NASA got things right ALL THE TIME. Like their latest space ventures. Robots in maars that BSOD on them, etc. Yep.....

Pint

@weirdcult

Don't forget your towel.

J 3
Alien

"Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012," NASA states*

And they are right, obviously.

Or do you think a bloody *huge planet* has any concept of good or bad, or even care? :-)

So, nothing bad has ever happened to Earth, and nothing good either. And never will. To the critters infesting its surface though...

Anyway, these stupid end-of-the-world stories are only good for making catastrophe movies, and even that is very debatable. Nowadays, with all the computer graphics, it's not even fun to try and imagine how the effects could have been done. It's always some large farm of Linux computers crunching numbers and all that.

Meh.

FAIL

You have all missed the point

Bruce Willis is alive and well so there will be no end of the world. There may be destruction of personal and civil property on a massive scale but the world will trundle on (presumably into either a) the next ice age or b) a warmer place).

Silver badge
Megaphone

Planet X?

We need...

DUCK DODGERS IN THE TWENTY FOURTH AND A HALF CENTURY...!!!

Troll

Looks like I forgot...

the icon for my last post.

Can the afflicted please return the fish-hooks, apparently I might need them soon!

Ta.

Bronze badge

Been readin too much legalese lately

"...credible scientists know of no threat associated with 2012"

May I point out that this is completely different to "No credible scientists know of any threat associated with 2012". The first one simply states that there exists one or more scientists who have no idea what is about to happen. ^_^

Having said that, using the Mayan calendar as a "doom prophecy" is about as accurate as my using a Simpson's desk calendar and predicting the end of the world on December 31 2009 because - see - there aren't any more dates after that. Come ON people - the astrologers has just finished writing the dates for the next 3000-odd years and simply though "that'll do - we'll add to it when we get closer to the date".

Oh, and @Ray0x6: the "indistinguishable from magic" line was Arthur C Clarke (reversing what is known as "Niven's Law").

But then again, your average conspiracy nut cannot be reasoned with. How do you reason with someone who takes lack of evidence as proof that someone is hiding something?

Bronze badge
Unhappy

<sigh>

And this is what happens when you type too fast :- it was, of course, Larry Niven who reversed Clarke's Third Law and *not* (as it came out in my previous post) the other way around.

Silver badge

Maybe the world has come to an end ...

but we have been too busy to notice?

Anyway, the idea that NASA could hush up the presence of a body the size of say Pluto (which is no longer considered a planet) anywhere in the vicinity of Earth orbit is ridiculous. It would require bribing all astronomers in the world, including all amateurs. Given the Sumerians are supposed to have found the planet, it should have been a naked-eye object. With my Celestron C8 I can gather 800 times more light, and should be able to pick it up at far greater distances (say Neptune orbit). Any amateur astronomer worth his salt would spot a magnitude 3 or brighter object in the sky in no time.

This does not imply we are not quite able to completely ****-up the planet independently from any external causes.

Thumb Up

NASA need to go back to school.

Polar shift theory is proven geological fact, as is the 'chandler wobble'

Evidence is in iron fibres and compounds which have been laid one way for one year and the next day they all lie another direction which would account for the massive changes in magnetic field. (the only real way they could have happened on a global scale)

Evidence for the antarctic being once at the equator is also proven and has evidence (possibly atlantis of old myths)

This is roughly every 32000 years.

Well that is what I read as a dual honour undergraduate in Geology and Geography.

Either way nothing is due in the next couple of years, but since when did truth happen to hollywood.

Unhappy

Just another sci fi movie - just don't take it for a fact

Hi, I saw this based on pagan beliefs, NASA is right, there is no planet to hit Earth or we could see it by now with our own eyes. Just as global warming is overblown, NASA has proven that 70% of the Arctic ice melting is caused by man not CO2. Stopping all the S02 acid rain smoke is the cause of it. The extra S02 was actually creating more clouds and cooling the earth. Mount Saint Helen cooled the whole Earth 1/2 degrees F when it exploded. Mother nature knows how to keep the Earth in balance.

Nurse! Nurse!

....they are all out of bed again....

I just hope it's my round when it happens!

Happy

The end for sure this time

@ Jason Togneri,

Dear Jason,

I think that after so many tries the predictors of doom will be getter closer and closer to the right date.

With regard to collision with a Planet, there was a popular song fairly recently that predicted " Next July we collide with Mars".

Also the fact that Mars will appear to be (or is ) this year , bigger than the Moon.

Prepare for the end is nigh.

Grenade

I have a suggestion...

I say that on 2012-12-22, if we get there anyway, we all get ourselves a bat (of yankee or cricket flavor, doesnt matter, for us italians i sugest the trusty crowbar or similar tool), track down our respective national doomsayers (or the ones of your current location that is) and we crack their heads open.

This will have two very humanitarian purposes, one of preventing them from feeling bad for missing (yet again) an end-of-warranty date for the World and more important, will prevent them from doing it again on the next doom's date, be it on whatever new or old culture it was foretold on.

Paris Hilton

Don't forget!

Nothing leave the house without your towel!

Because that might be all that Paris is wearing too!

Coat

Shadowrun

@First AC, and gaming AC.

Yes, 4th edition.

Much smoother system than third, but I prefer the world in 3rd.

Mines the one with the dice in the pocket.

Unlikely

"A magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia, anyway."

Like, how can they be so sure of that, then ?

@ elderlybloke

Mars is, in fact, bigger than the Moon

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.