back to article Microsoft drops Family Guy like a hot deaf guy joke

Microsoft proved that one thing Windows 7 won't install is a sense of humour yesterday, by hastily pulling out of its sponsorship of a Family Guy/American Dad variety special. The vendor announced two weeks ago that it would blow some of its Windows 7 marketing budget on "an upcoming television event devoted to the comedy of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

WTF?

I'm Deaf...but not offended by FG

I'm Deaf....and I love Family Guy*...Typical political correct reaction. Always somebody else getting offended on your behalf.

Bring it On !!!

* Subtitles...Alrightttt... !

Stop

@asdf

Do we get to watch Family Guy???? Between them and the Simpsons THERE'S NEVER ANYTHING ELSE ON!!!!

Anonymous Coward

Suicide

In my humble opinion, Microsoft have probably just put themselves in line for a lot of agro in future episodes. They are now, very likely, a future target. Come ooooooonnnnn seasion 9!

WTF?

I get it!

Family Guy is the only thing on TV unfunnier than Seinfeld.

@asdf

"I know the Simpsons were on in Germany (had to change many of the jokes though as American humor tends to be more crude than most countries enjoy)."

Erm, no. I think it has more to do with whoever does the German translations of The Simpsons having no grasp of contemporary English/American at all. Sometimes you need to do a "sounds-like"-translation back to English to get what it means. E. g. "fabric of the universe" was translated as "Fabrik des Universums" (factory of the universe), when it should have been something like "Struktur des Universums".

Pint

Ah, Microsoft.

What next, inviting the Rolling Stones to the launch party to perform 'Start me up' (again) but letting Keith and Ronnie go to the bar first?

Or is Richard Stallman doing a keynote speech?

Go

Too funny

I was right! They saw the early drafts of the show, and realized that they were paying Seth McFarlane a LOT of money to make Microsoft look foolish. The leaked clips I saw were making the average Windows user sound like someone who would buy Seven Ultimate so they could brag about how they needed it for better Tweeting.

Pity for them they didn't have enough sense to examine the rest of their commercials that way.

As to the "Family Guy sucks" crowd, A: Family Guy is humor for those of us who like to see just how offensive and anti-pc a show can go. "Family Guy picks on everyone" and B: The Simpsons hasn't been funny since Windows 95 came out. THAT on the other hand WAS funny. in a sad pathetic, me too kind of way.

I just hope the unfinished show gets leaked!

Pint

Hey, what's this? It's got a good beat!

It seems that Microsoft has no idea how to advertise its products, and looks increasingly desperate and out of touch with each ad campaign. Since The Mary Whitehouse Experience has been off the air longer than Seinfeld, but was much funnier in its prime, I think Microsoft should do a combined ad for both Windows 7 and Songsmith, with Ballmer as the embarrassing dad who can't dance.

Silver badge
Gates Halo

I'm not surprised...

I would expect Family Guy to do the same as the Simpsons, as both usually rip the shit out of Fox. I'd actually expect Seth to pull a "Wayne's World", that is make fun of Windows 7 in the show. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what actually happened and Microsoft's PR people used the incest/holocaust jokes as their 'reason' to pull out.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums